coughing/sneezing/gagging noise and heaving?

notanotherxerox

Post   » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:05 pm

My 3 year old pig Charlie has had a couple of " attacks" I dont know if its sneezing or coughing or what but he make a coughing/gagging type noise, his back heaves up and down, and in about 15-30 seconds its over, and he goes back to whatever he was doing like nothing happened.

The first couple times I thought he just ate too fast or something but then yesterday he wasn't eating anything when it happened, he was just sitting there looking around.

Then last night I found a few spots of blood in his house. I have thoroughly checked him out from head to toe and can not find any injuries. The vet is closed until tomorrow so I was hopign someone might be able to tell me what he's doing or if their piggy has done something similar.

He's eating his pellets, hay, veggies and drinking like normal he's going to the bathroom normally as well. I love him very much and hope its nothing serious.

I'm trying to get a video of it because describing the noise is kind of tough. Thank you for your time!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:49 pm

How is his weight? Do you check it weekly? Any weight loss? I have heard of something that's been called the heaving hiccups but I really don't know what it is. Your idea that it could have been associated with eating too fast is one I frequently suggest. Supposedly, there is a pocket in the throat where food might collect. If a piece of hay went down badly, that might cause it too.

I'm glad you're seeing a vet in case it is something entirely different.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:01 pm

These are classic signs of bladder stones. The heaving is most likely due to difficulty passing stool because of interference/pressure caused by the stone. The blood that you found strongly points in this direction as well. Stones can be passed, which *may* be what has happened, but that is rare.

Make sure that your vet takes x-rays to rule this out. Don't let them talk you into a 'wait and see' approach, because this is urgent.

Info on stones:
https://www.guinealynx.info/stones.html
Bladder stones are often accompanied by UTI:
https://www.guinealynx.info/uti.html
With stones, I always use Bactrim as a precautionary, even if no UTI has been confirmed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:22 pm

I missed that! A strong possibility. Read PinkRufus' links and do get this checked out asap.

notanotherxerox

Post   » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:21 am

Thank you so much for your replies! I'm making an appointment for him asap and be sure to mention the bladder stones. That sounds painful:(
I do check his weight every other week and he hasn't lost any weight lately.

Thank you again!

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:12 am

Any updates?

Yes, bladder stones are very painful and can be deadly if left untreated.

notanotherxerox

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:22 pm

Thank goodness its not bladder stones, it turns out to be the heaving hiccups Lynx mentioned. Thank you PinkRufus for your helpful advice on having xrays taken! I'm so glad my little guy is ok. Thank you all for your help