Home Register Profile Faq Records GLX-Files Search

Swollen or bloated female
Goto page Previous  1,   2,   3   Next 
Guinea Lynx Forums -> Emergency & Medical Print
Older Thread :: Newer Thread  
7/24/2010, 6:01 pm
Cinnabuns Legacy   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Cinnabuns Legacy

I just got done reading this thread, and wow. You did an amazing job, they are indeed very lucky to have you.
7/24/2010, 6:21 pm
jedifreac   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
jedifreac

Wow, with some persistence and patience, you saved your guinea pig's life! This is amazing. Congrats and get yourself some well deserved rest!
7/24/2010, 8:43 pm
Talishan   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Talishan
Cleaning Lady

You can quote me

Ditto the posts above. You did not give up, and that counts for a lot. Give yourself some credit too, that is after you've gotten some rest.

1. Again, pigs that have had one bloat episode do seem to show a proclivity to repeat. It can happen to any pig, but in my experience adult females seem to be most vulnerable, for reasons unknown to me.

Give Popcorn smaller vegetable feedings more often if possible. If it were me I'd give her no romaine at all for a while. Reintroduce the most benign vegetables -- redleaf lettuce, greenleaf lettuce, carrot -- slowly, in small quantities, and take note of how she reacts to each. If you hit one (bell pepper is sometimes a culprit, for example) that seems to bother her, write it down and don't feed it again. Supplement her vitamin C separately if necessary.

2. Save the ER vet's name and phone number. It was decent of her to call. Hopefully you, your wife, Popcorn and Soda will never need her again, but if you do, you have the information at hand.

Congratulations on a job well done.
7/24/2010, 8:46 pm
Quinfin   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Quinfin

Her waste and Soda's are extremely moist. Is that an issue I should be concerned with? I havent fed them any fruits or vegetables since Popcorns gorging.
7/24/2010, 8:48 pm
Talishan
Cleaning Lady

You can quote me

Did Soda have any of the same romaine Popcorn did?

Popcorn's waste being very moist is not a problem. The slimy green goopy stuff she's passed is stalled waste material (ileus) and needed to come out. But Soda's really shouldn't be.

Is it soft and moist, or full-on diarrhea? Is there any odor to it?
7/24/2010, 8:58 pm
tiggyswift   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
tiggyswift

Wow, I am so happy Popcorn is doing better! I thought about her all day! You did a great job with her.
7/24/2010, 9:37 pm
Lynx   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Lynx
Heartless Dictator

I am so glad she seems to be on the mend. Ditto Talishan's advice (she always gives good advice!). I'm so glad she made it through. I am glad some of the advice here helped pull her through though your perseverance and good fortune had a lot to do with it.

As Talishan said, a pig who has had bloat may be more likely to have another episode. Read all the information linked to from the emergency/bloat advice and put together a plan of action with vet numbers if it recurs.

You might also want to read over www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html and www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html because both have to do with elimination and may offer you some insight.
7/25/2010, 12:21 am
Quinfin

Thanks all, but all I did was sit up all night on pogo with Popcorn at me feet and followed the advice given by people who I thought were veterinarians but, who I now think, care more than any vet can. Talishan: Soda did eat the same lettuce, but she's not the pig Popcorn is, she didn't eat near as much. All their food and eating habits will be monitored from now on. I didnt see the green goopy stuff, but thats not saying it didnt happen. I hope it did, seeing from your post, it needed to come out. It was soft and moist, no diarrhea nor odor. Recently Soda's stole has stiffened but not Popcorn's. The vet said their diet, which consisted of carrots, romaime lettuce, celery, timothy hay, and sometimes apples is okay. But the gouging of any isnt. Said to limit Popcorns diet of nothing but hay and pellets for aweek. Wife said he told her to not feed her any lentil or bean products. Talishan thx for your support and advice.
wlua weloveyouall
7/25/2010, 1:48 am
Quinfin

Tracis, your advice of feeding was a turning point in her situation. THANK YOU more than you'll ever know.
7/25/2010, 11:13 am
Lynx
Heartless Dictator

No, no vets (who actively post). A few vet techs. One or two veterinarians in training. Lots of people who have handson experience treating ill pigs and a desire to help others.

I would phase out the apples because of the sugar. If you want to see sugar content of various fruits and vegs, you can check:

www.guinealynx.info/chart_sugar.html

Leafy greens are a good choice. Of the vegs, corn is the worst choice (bad everything).
7/25/2010, 9:00 pm
Talishan
Cleaning Lady

You can quote me

Guinea pigs' systems are not designed to process sugars and carbohydrates. Fruits, and vegetables like corn, lentils and beans have very high levels of carbohydrate. These can ferment rapidly and cause bloating.

See if your regular vet (or the vet you saw, he sounds like a keeper) will give you a small amount of Reglan (metoclopramide) to keep on hand at home.

The syrup can be administered orally as well as by injection, and it has a pretty long shelf life. While no med has zero side effects and is 100% safe, as meds go Reglan is fairly benign. If you see Popcorn begin to have difficulty again, a little bit of Reglan right away can help detour and prevent a full-on bloat episode (and you know this will happen at 8:30 on a Saturday night, you just know that).

Having some on hand has helped several of our pigs.
7/26/2010, 2:34 am
Tracis   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Tracis
Queen of the Morlocks

Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Yay for Popcorn feeling better! I'm sending more good thoughts for her, and I hope she continues to do well. Bloat is such a scary thing.

Sitting up all night with a very ill pet is not easy, especially night after night. Many of us have been in your situation, and we know how difficult and draining (and lonely) it can be.

You and your wife gave Popcorn the extra help she needed. Popcorn and Soda are fortunate to be a part of your family. :)
7/26/2010, 5:29 am
macepeki   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
macepeki

Just read your thread, and I must admit I was in tears reading through to Popcorn's recovery. You did an amazing job. I know how hard and heartbreaking it is to help a piggy with bloat. This forum helped us give one of our little girls a chance when she got severely bloated. She wouldn't have made it without them.

Keep a gook eye on her, because she will probably get bloated again at some point. Having simethicone at home will definitely help you if that is the case (hopefully not!).

Lots of piggy hugs and good wishes.
7/26/2010, 1:10 pm
jedifreac   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
jedifreac

carrots, romaime lettuce, celery, timothy hay, and sometimes apples is okay

I think these are all tolerable foods, but given the episode of bloat (which sounded really scary!) Talishan's retooled diet suggestions are good!

Personally, I would feed unlimited timothy hay and rationed timothy pellets (Oxbow, Kleenmama, or Sweet Meadow Farms brands only.) Then, once or twice a day a plate of either green or red leaf lettuce with cilantro. Things like bell pepper, carrot, or apple slice should be "fixings" and fed in small quantities (like size of your pinky finger.) I would skp the celery since it is harder for pigs to digest.
7/26/2010, 9:41 pm
Talishan
Cleaning Lady

You can quote me

I will say we've never had a problem with carrot. I completely agree otherwise with Jedifreac's comments. While carrot is supposed to be high in sugar and starch (and don't give huge amounts), I've yet to have a GI problem from moderate amounts of carrot. Everything else, occasionally yes but never carrot.
7/27/2010, 8:59 am
Lynx
Heartless Dictator

Carrots are actually not that high in sugar, relatively speaking:
http://www.guinealynx.info/chart_sugar.html
7/27/2010, 3:23 pm
JudiL[MetroGPIGRescue]   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
JudiL[MetroGPIGRescue]

Poop Obsessed

I'm so glad to see this happy ending.
7/27/2010, 4:01 pm
Tracy   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Tracy

I was not online this past weekend, but great news about your piggy! I remember a bloat episode in my Inca that had me up all night with her trying every trick I could think of to keep her alive until we could see an exotics vet. I definitely believe that when a loving human is present, our critters are more inclined to hang in there and tough it out. I thought Inca would die but didn't want to leave her alone like that. And I do think if I went to sleep I would have found her dead the next morn. They can be very hardy animals! As others have said, monitor your piggies' diet, have an ER vet on hand in case of future emergencies, and maybe keep some Reglan on hand (but only give it if you're sure animal is not obstructed).
7/27/2010, 4:48 pm
Lynx
Heartless Dictator

Tracy, what did you do and what did you think was most effective?
7/27/2010, 6:48 pm
Tracy   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Tracy

Lynx, I'm going to look for an e-mail I saved, in which I told about my harrowing night with bloated Inca. Offhand I'd say I first gave simethicone, then maybe metacam since she seemed in pain (both relatively harmless, I think). I was massaging her abdomen and trying to get her to move around. Once I saw poop come out (after a long wait), I knew she wasn't obstructed and gave reglan (on hand from vet since Inca had a history of chronic gas). Since I've seen improvement with reglan within a half hour (another piggy) and didn't see it in Inca, I then added cisapride (also on hand from vet). I probably gave some acidophilus at some point, too, in an attempt to balance gut flora. For previous gas episodes I had tried Beano and gripe water, but didn't give them during the bloat night (they didn't really help Inca ever). But I was trying everything else!

When she seemed cold with eyes glazed, I thought she was giving up and I panicked in desperation. I brought her into the bathroom with the idea of heating her up with my hair dryer (low setting), but I ended up using my overhead heat light instead, plus rubbing her body. When she seemed to drift off I pinched her ears and feet to snap her out of it, thinking if she went to sleep she wouldn't wake up. Throughout, of course I was telling her I loved her and to hang in there until morning, plus I was praying and pleading and crying, etc. Really thought she was dying before my eyes and didn't expect her to pull through. But I was going to keep trying and to be there for her in case love helps them to not give up. It was an awful, awful night.

Without re-reading my notes (need to find the e-mail), I think I first was concerned around 10 or 11 PM (at which point I was not confident in the ER vets at my hospital; not piggy savvy), and I finally felt like maybe she'd be OK during the wee hours (maybe 3 or 5 AM). Took another day until she was back to her self, I think.

Quinfin, I hope I haven't hijacked your thread about Popcorn. But my experience may be helpful when others search for info about bloat. Good job that you helped her pull through! (As a friendly aside, I know a pair of piggies named Popcorn & Candy, along the same lines as your duo.)
[img]http://www.guinealynx.info/pics/.jpg[/img]           ::    
Page 2 of 3 Goto page Previous  1,   2,   3   Next

Reply to topic  

-22F = -30C
-4F = -20C
14F = -10C

32F = 0C
41F = 5C
50F = 10C
59F = 15C
68F = 20C
77F = 25C
86F = 30C
95F = 35C

98.6F = 37C
100.4F = 38C
102.2F = 39C
104.0F = 40C
105.8F = 41C
107.6F = 42C
109.4F = 43C
111.2F = 44C
113.0F = 45C
114.8F = 46C
116.6F = 47C
118.4F = 48C
120.2F = 49C
122.0F = 50C

Guinea Pigs are for Life

Please Support Guinea Lynx in 2014

Order your Cavy Health Record Book today!

TRACIS' LINKS INDEX
"Successful Introductions"

Are you a Guinea Lynx Fan? Tell the world on Facebook!

Contact Us --- Home