Swollen or bloated female

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:01 pm

I just got done reading this thread, and wow. You did an amazing job, they are indeed very lucky to have you.

jedifreac

Post   » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:21 pm

Wow, with some persistence and patience, you saved your guinea pig's life! This is amazing. Congrats and get yourself some well deserved rest!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:43 pm

Ditto the posts above. You did not give up, and that counts for a lot. Give yourself some credit too, that is after you've gotten some rest.

1. Again, pigs that have had one bloat episode do seem to show a proclivity to repeat. It can happen to any pig, but in my experience adult females seem to be most vulnerable, for reasons unknown to me.

Give Popcorn smaller vegetable feedings more often if possible. If it were me I'd give her no romaine at all for a while. Reintroduce the most benign vegetables -- redleaf lettuce, greenleaf lettuce, carrot -- slowly, in small quantities, and take note of how she reacts to each. If you hit one (bell pepper is sometimes a culprit, for example) that seems to bother her, write it down and don't feed it again. Supplement her vitamin C separately if necessary.

2. Save the ER vet's name and phone number. It was decent of her to call. Hopefully you, your wife, Popcorn and Soda will never need her again, but if you do, you have the information at hand.

Congratulations on a job well done.

Quinfin

Post   » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:46 pm

Her waste and Soda's are extremely moist. Is that an issue I should be concerned with? I havent fed them any fruits or vegetables since Popcorns gorging.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:48 pm

Did Soda have any of the same romaine Popcorn did?

Popcorn's waste being very moist is not a problem. The slimy green goopy stuff she's passed is stalled waste material (ileus) and needed to come out. But Soda's really shouldn't be.

Is it soft and moist, or full-on diarrhea? Is there any odor to it?

tiggyswift

Post   » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:58 pm

Wow, I am so happy Popcorn is doing better! I thought about her all day! You did a great job with her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:37 pm

I am so glad she seems to be on the mend. Ditto Talishan's advice (she always gives good advice!). I'm so glad she made it through. I am glad some of the advice here helped pull her through though your perseverance and good fortune had a lot to do with it.

As Talishan said, a pig who has had bloat may be more likely to have another episode. Read all the information linked to from the emergency/bloat advice and put together a plan of action with vet numbers if it recurs.

You might also want to read over www.guinealynx.info/.html and www.guinealynx.info/.html because both have to do with elimination and may offer you some insight.

Quinfin

Post   » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:21 am

Thanks all, but all I did was sit up all night on pogo with Popcorn at me feet and followed the advice given by people who I thought were veterinarians but, who I now think, care more than any vet can. Talishan: Soda did eat the same lettuce, but she's not the pig Popcorn is, she didn't eat near as much. All their food and eating habits will be monitored from now on. I didnt see the green goopy stuff, but thats not saying it didnt happen. I hope it did, seeing from your post, it needed to come out. It was soft and moist, no diarrhea nor odor. Recently Soda's stole has stiffened but not Popcorn's. The vet said their diet, which consisted of carrots, romaime lettuce, celery, timothy hay, and sometimes apples is okay. But the gouging of any isnt. Said to limit Popcorns diet of nothing but hay and pellets for aweek. Wife said he told her to not feed her any lentil or bean products. Talishan thx for your support and advice.
wlua weloveyouall

Quinfin

Post   » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:48 am

Tracis, your advice of feeding was a turning point in her situation. THANK YOU more than you'll ever know.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:13 pm

No, no vets (who actively post). A few vet techs. One or two veterinarians in training. Lots of people who have handson experience treating ill pigs and a desire to help others.

I would phase out the apples because of the sugar. If you want to see sugar content of various fruits and vegs, you can check:

www.guinealynx.info/chart_sugar.html

Leafy greens are a good choice. Of the vegs, corn is the worst choice (bad everything).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:00 pm

Guinea pigs' systems are not designed to process sugars and carbohydrates. Fruits, and vegetables like corn, lentils and beans have very high levels of carbohydrate. These can ferment rapidly and cause bloating.

See if your regular vet (or the vet you saw, he sounds like a keeper) will give you a small amount of Reglan (metoclopramide) to keep on hand at home.

The syrup can be administered orally as well as by injection, and it has a pretty long shelf life. While no med has zero side effects and is 100% safe, as meds go Reglan is fairly benign. If you see Popcorn begin to have difficulty again, a little bit of Reglan right away can help detour and prevent a full-on bloat episode (and you know this will happen at 8:30 on a Saturday night, you just know that).

Having some on hand has helped several of our pigs.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:34 am

Yay for Popcorn feeling better! I'm sending more good thoughts for her, and I hope she continues to do well. Bloat is such a scary thing.

Sitting up all night with a very ill pet is not easy, especially night after night. Many of us have been in your situation, and we know how difficult and draining (and lonely) it can be.

You and your wife gave Popcorn the extra help she needed. Popcorn and Soda are fortunate to be a part of your family. :)