Jonesing for Fecal Pellets

armoftheland

Post   » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:07 am

Has anyone ever had a pig that is just freaking out because they NEED TO EAT THEIR POOP? Brody has been insatiably gnawing at his man bits in hopes that he can dig a pellet out.

He has impaction problems, which isn't really a problem because at med times i just flip him back and clean him out. (Twice a day recently) but even when clean and happy, he'll just tuck under and start looking for gold.

He eats every pellet, and i mean EVERY pellet, not just the cecal ones. He actually bit his penis and left a big red raw mark... (I guess he thought it was a treasured poop) and this is especially odd as before when cleaning out his impactions i would offer him parts in hopes he would take the cecal ones but he would always turn his nose up at it.

He's being supplemented with a Vitamin B and also recently a Probiotic was added to his long list of medications and daily rituals. But I can't figure out what I could possibly be missing to make him so nutty. This showed up shortly after his stint with GI stasis. He's still being supplemented with Critical Care in addition to fresh timothy hay, pellets and a variety of veggies with the odd fruit. Is this normal for a pig who has been on antibiotics?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:14 am

This thread gets the award for best title. :-)

Short answer to your question(s) is yes. They'll do this to one degree of intensity or another. Your pig is very, um, intense.

Give him lots and lots and lots of probiotics. Do you have another pig, healthy and not on AB's? If so, take some of his or her feces, mix them with water and syringe. Yum! :-p

The probiotics commercially offered will do the job, more or less, but according to one of my old vets, none of them actually have the actual bacteria that reside in a guinea pig gut. Another pig's droppings do. If you do have another pig, try to get the cecotropes, but good luck with that. If you can't, the final product retains some beneficial flora, which is why your pig is tazzing out trying to reingest them. The problem is he doesn't realize that his own droppings currently do not contain what he craves to fully reset his GI.

We've had some mildly neurotic pigs take quite a while to stop this behavior. Vitamin B, probiotic, and lots of hay help. Critical Care will help. Watch his water intake. Their final product is not meant to be reingested endlessly. If he keeps it up, his droppings will begin to smell bad and so will his mouth. He will then make his own sipper tube and water taste bad, so he won't drink it.

I swear some of them are OCD.

armoftheland

Post   » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:23 am

Thanks Talishain :) That makes me feel better. I had no idea what was going on. He looks exactly like a junky when I'm cleaning out his sac.

I've got another boar who is young, perky, and healthy... So...

Is it OK to use regular fecal pellets from the healthy pig? I am not sure I'd be able to steal a cecal pellet and survive to tell the tale, let alone make poop soup.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2014

Post   » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:10 am

When you clean out his sack have you been discarding the contents? I made the mistake of emptying Rufus' sac over the toilet because I thought I was being tidy. I realized my mistake when I saw the poor fellow frantically searching for his cecotropes! After that I would empty him in his cage.

Also, you may want to take out fruit for the time being because the sugar can mess with the gut flora.

Offering donations from your healthy boar is a good idea.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2017

Post   » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:49 am

I know this is a serious topic guys, but just wanted to say thanks for the laugh. I could picture Brody going nuts trying to get some poops, and how you may not get out alive if you got a cecal poop. I have a picture in my head of guinea pigs standing on their hind legs with guns around their waist shooting it out for a big pile of poops.
On a serious note, hoping Brody gets his fill soon and is filling better. Big hugs to you both.

Brainerror

Post   » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:04 am

When my guineapig Scruffles feels unwell she shows similar behaviour and will even forage for the other girls' poops.

Probiotics do help and she knows it too as she laps it up.

Hope your boar feels a little less neurotic soon.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:48 pm

Aaaaand since I've already done this to another poster, your turn ;-): please keep all information about one pig on one thread.

Even if they're different questions, we ask this so that the med pros can see the entire pig's history. If you need to ask another question about Brody say, three years from now, that history is very, very important.

http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=58061
http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=58142

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:06 pm

8 posts • Page 1 of 1