Ideas on new diet

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:56 am

Some of you know how much trouble I've had with Abby and her dental issues. Recently I contacted Dr. Legendre for an opinion and he graciously agreed. Abby had her procedure one week ago here in Tennessee. It is still too early to say for sure if her problems are corrected.
BUT, Dr. Legendre told me to stop feeding all lettuces, soft vegetables and pellets to all my pigs. He told me my diet was the problem. They should only get hay and grasses, when asked, he said wheat grass and corn husks and silks were OK. So I started weaning my girls off lettuce and pellets and they now only get wheat grass and corns husks and silks twice a day and 24 hour access to hay. I also give red pepper and or strawberry every other day to keep their vit. C levels up. What are your opinions on this diet? Is this something we need to start encouraging?

Kermie831

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:25 am

What are her severe dental issues?

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:34 am

I do not know a whole lot about pigs, but if this were the case, I think every pig on this forum would have dental issues. I would also worry about them getting adequate vitamin c.

I do think it is likely that some people give too many veggies and this can cause problems.

I'm sorry she is having problems and I hope you get it worked out soon!

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:12 am

Kermie,

She has a thread in Emergency/Medical, it's not well followed, but basically she's had dental procedures every 10-14 days since August. Her weight has dropped by 40% now just under 600 grams. She's only 3 1/2 years old.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:02 pm

Are they eating enough hay?

I'd worry about vit c and the weight loss that comes with that diet. Hmm. Can you supplement with CC? I guess syringe feeding soft pellet mash wouldn't work their molars though.

I'd keep pellets out but still feed veggies personally or just limit the pellets.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:08 pm

I've done pelletless before, several years ago and they all lost weight, especially the older ones. I only have one true senior now (she'll be 7 in January), the rest are under 4 years. I just don't know. Seems like a no win situation.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:51 pm

I wasn't trying to be rude or anything and I hope you didn't take it that way. I just got the impression that your vet feels like ALL guinea pigs, healthy or not should be on that diet.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:54 pm

He does. ALL guinea pigs should be on this diet according to Dr. Legendre.

jedifreac

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:06 pm

um.

Isn't that a recipe for scurvy?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:33 pm

mkkayla, I think there is a balance when a pig has lost lots of weight and you are trying to get the guinea pig's strength up.

Can you also go outside and pick grass? I used to feed fresh grass daily all year round (unless the grass was completely covered by snow).

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:36 pm

I am still giving red peppers and strawberries every other day (against his advice), so no, I don't think my girls will get scurvy. Per him, most malocclusion cases are due to inappropriate diets. They are designed to eat rough poor quality grasses. Their teeth grow more than a mm a week, they have to be worn down as much or we get into trouble.

His diet: No pellets, no lettuce, no soft veggies. alfalfa and timothy hay and fresh grasses, that's it. Like I said, when asked he said corn husks were OK as well as wheat grass.

I didn't think I was over doing their veggies. My girls finished their greens (clean happy plate) within 15 minutes of getting it. I fed that much twice a day. And they have always had 24 hour access to KM's hay. Yet I have malocclusion and this is the third time in my 7+ years and over 20 pigs that have struggled with it.

I want to fix Abby and prevent any more from developing it. It's painful, frustrating and very expensive to correct.

Lynx, No I'd be afraid to feed from yard, first it's all brown now, second, everyone around me treats/sprays their yard, I can't say for certain that the grass is safe, even though my yard is fenced in the back. I am buying commercially raised, safe for human consumption wheat grass. As far as Abby goes I am still feeding CC once or twice a day.

Feylin

Post   » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:27 pm

Wild pigs may be made to eat grasses, but our pigs are lab pigs, bred to eat pellets, no?

Is he recommending the no veggies/pellets because it fills the pigs up and makes them less hungry for hay? Or is it because the time spent chewing soft things takes away from the time needed to chew hay?

Upping the hay intake is certainly a good thing, but I'm not convinced that his drastic diet is the magic bullet.