weird behavior

kywildpigs

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:07 am

I haven't seen any droppings since I fed her.
Oh gosh, I will feed her some more. I'm not going to bother her right now because she's eating a little bit of hay.

Her tummy is still a little hard and tender. So the activated charcoal or olive oil will help her poop? Or pass gas?

Her breathing is fine.

kywildpigs

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:24 am

This is so frustrating. Just one tiny poop since midnight! I just got up to hand feed her again, going back to sleep for a few hours.

Would mineral oil help her pass poops? I want her to poop!

She is alert, eating SOME hay and even playing in it. A huge difference from this weekend! I just need her to poop and pass gas and eat way more on her own!!

egustavson

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:30 am

It is a good sign that she is eating hay. Here is a link to a thread where a member gave 0.2mls of olive oil to help with bloat:

http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59453&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40

I think the charcoal helps with gas and the oil to pass poops. Mineral oil can probably be used instead of olive oil. Maybe someone else will respond about that. Have you tried massaging her tummy? It may feel uncomfortable because her tummy is tender, but it is supposed to help the intestines move.

Bloat and intestinal stasis are serious and difficult to resolve. I hope one of the suggested treatments helps. I recommend that you call the vet--you may need to give your pig cisapride in addition to reglan.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:15 pm

egustavson, I don't know anything about mineral oil and guinea pigs, but I assume it works the same way it does in people. It blocks absorption of liquids and nutrients into the body, and can possibly result in dehydration. I think I'd stick with olive oil if I were going to use anything.

egustavson

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:44 pm

Thanks, bpatters, for responding. I knew that mineral oil is used to relieve constipation in humans, but did not know if it would act differently or be stronger/harsher than olive oil. Since olive oil is consumed by many people as a regular part of their diet, it is probably safer.

Brainerror

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:10 pm

I used olive oil for a constipated pig and she pooped within hours of me giving it.
But you will need to syringe feed her enough to keep her gut going. I know it's tough, but keep at it.

I hope she gets better soon.

kywildpigs

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Giving her some olive oil now, I don't have the charcoal but I DO have infant gas relief. She doesn't feel as bloated as she did this morning! And she ate a little bit of parsley! I'm still hand feeding her though because although she does eat some it's definitely not enough.

My beautiful little sister hand fed her while I was at work today. Love her so much. Isobel even bit her. That's my girl <3 Haha she's always been mean. I want my mean Isobel back!

My birthday is on Thursday and all I want is for my baby to poop and eat normally again!

egustavson

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:24 pm

I hope she is getting better. Infant gas relief (simethicone) may help--it has mixed reviews. I have tried it and I am not sure if it helps or not. I have not tried the charcoal or olive oil but have read about success with them.

Some members have used the vibrating massage pillows or putting their guinea pig on the clothes dryer while it is running. The vibration seems to help some pigs.

Keep up the feeding--input produces output!

kywildpigs

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:53 pm

She pooped! The first poop was a bunch of little poops clumped together, then another poop that was more formed!

egustavson

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:52 pm

Good! I hope she continues to improve.

kywildpigs

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:19 pm

She was also drinking on her own!!

And I swear, I think she was farting earlier. I had her on my lap after I gave her the olive oil and I smelled something. She isn't as bloated as before either. Her tummy is still a little tight and tender but not as bad.

Char-x

Post   » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:13 am

Glad her gut seems to be moving inthe right direction now. Passing gas is a good sign. I had a bloat incident the other week, I found massaging the stomach and putting her on a viabrating pillow helped wonders also.

Sometimes pigs who get bloat can be suseptable to getting it again (or so my vet said...) so just always keep an eye on this, I do with my girl.

Brainerror

Post   » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:20 am

So glad she pooped! Well done both of you :) Hoping for a speedy recovery.

kywildpigs

Post   » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:29 pm

I have her in a separate cage next to my bed so I can monitor her poop and her food intake. I watched her eat her hay (and occasional bite of pellets) for 30 minutes! She also ate some parsley and a carrot when I gave her one! I'm so so happy. Her poops are still abnormal. :( I'm just glad she's starting to eat more on her own! And she's drinking so much now. I will continue to handfeed her until she starts pooping normal though.

Another thing is she hasn't gained OR lost any weight since Sunday.

I don't have a vibrating pillow, however our couch has a built in massager. I should try that out.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:44 pm

Something else that people have used in lieu of a pillow is an electric tooth brush. Just wrap the brush in a thin piece of cloth and run it over the tummy.

Brainerror

Post   » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:46 pm

Or hair clippers under a pillow :D We used that on our bloated pig and it made her fart lots :)

kywildpigs

Post   » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:19 pm

Hmm I will try a toothbrush.

Last night her poops were looking a lot better but today they are really soft and different sizes. :/

kywildpigs

Post   » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:54 pm

I feel like I've made a huge mistake.
I've been keeping her separated so I can monitor her poops and eating. I tried to put her back with Penny and they acted like they don't know each other. Am I gonna have to do intros all over again??

CRAP!

I don't think Isobel is better though, she's no longer bloated but her poop isn't right. She has an appointment for Monday morning.

kywildpigs

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:20 am

Okay now she's being treated for Giardia. She's doing fine now but her poop is a weird light brown color!! Is that from the metronidazole? It's weird!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:02 pm

I don't know if that is causing the color change but if the poop is improving, that's great!

42 posts