There and back again - A piggy slave's tale

Brainerror

Post   » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:15 pm

Part one of our story can be found here: http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55717&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

A quick recap from the previous thread:
~ I got my first pig when I was 7 & has since been hooked on them
~We said Hello and Goodbye to Disco and her babies, Skippy, DJ, Spiky, Granny, Chewie and Pippin, the latter 2 left us in 2010.
~We said Hello and Goodbye to my 2 robo hams, Knuf knuf and Nom nom.
~We battled with UTI, URI, IC, Septicaemia, Diarrhoea and stones, stones, STONES.

Now for the Story to continue, let me re-introduce the gang:
ImageFrom left to right we have Chubbles, a torty coloured Sheltie of about 3 years of age. Gentle, quiet & mother to Squee. Chubbles was rescued from being sold on to a pro breeder.

Squee, 1,5 year old charcoal coloured Sheltie. Used to be black, but is getting more and more white hairs on her rump as time goes on. Very gentle, friendly and easy with humans, but can be a real biatch towards other pigs. When she's angry she is NASTY. Squee was rescued from becoming a show pig.

Nibbler, 1 year old "himi" who's slowly turning brown on her back and under her eyes. Got rescued from someone's back yard by the RSPCA & ended up at our local rescue pregnant at 2 months old. She had a serious growth stunt and has stopped growing now at 700g. Energetic, loud, demanding and nippy. Is probably the brightest of the lot.

Scruffles, 5 year old mostly brown agouti rex mix. Again, lovely with people, is my cuddle pig & sanity keeper, but doesn't play well with other pigs. Is prone to stones & currently trying to pass her 8th stone in a year... We adopted her 2,5 years ago from a different rescue that also breeds. The lady almost didn't let us adopt her as she had 'plans' with Scruffles :/

Now ignoring (only on here, not in real life of course!) Scruffles' current predicament, let me show you the effect mountains of fresh grass had on our wee fat Scruffy one:

Image Soooo fuuuuuullll........aaaack

ImageI might just asplode ughhh

ImageMummy, am I going to die?

ImageActually...I could do with another portion! Is there any more?..............What?

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:39 pm

Yay! Another thread! :D

Oh Scruffles! *heart*

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:08 pm

Scruffles is beautiful, it's lovely to hear how you started with pigs and to get a reintroduction as I started reading your last thread quite late in. xx

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:29 pm

Yay for part 2! I can't wait to see more cute pictures.

What camera do you have? I'm in the market and have always loved your pig photos. My current one blurs the photo with the slightest twitch of a whisker, pretty annoying. Time for a new one!

Hunybee

Post   » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:48 pm

I'll trade you Jasper for Scruffles. Chubbles will be happy!

Amy265

Post   » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:24 am

Hi there Brainerror,
I have enjoyed reading your chronicles. Nice to see Scruffles so relaxed and "grass happy"!! I think all your girls are just so pretty! Just a thought.. but I was looking at a Dutch website (knoevelshop) and they have a pressure feed that claims it can help with stones. Have you tried this for Scruffles? It is called Chanca Piedra. I have never had any experience with stones but just a thought.

More pictures!! I love the pictures!! Thanks for sharing.

Amy

poppycorn

Post   » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:50 am

Yay! Another thread! :)
I loved your Scruffles licky photo on your last thread.. it was closed before I managed to post though :)

Scruffles sounds like my Dusty.. just never. stops. eating! :P

TexCavy

Post   » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:27 am

I love Scruffles little white nose.

Brainerror

Post   » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:00 am

tex - Me too! it stands out in the dark as well like a little glowing button teehee

Poppycorn - Yes and thank you for your kind words :) It made me more determined to continue ^^

Amy - Alles goed? :D Nice to see a Dutchie on here. I had a look at that herb and it sounds like it has similar properties to shilling tong. It is a muscle relaxant which helps with expelling stones.

Hunybee - Ooohhh tempting! No more stones...

GPG - I have Nikon d80 with a medium range lens. It's a midway between amateur and pro camera wise and really user friendly, although a bit heavy.

Fred n co - Aw thank you. Scruffles needs the compliment as everyone tends to swoon over the others more, especially Nibbler.

Regiane - She sends lickies your way!

This morning I got another Scruffles Surprise:
ImageA hay poke..

It's been absolute years (5 at least) since I last dealt with a hay poke, but I remember everything from when Granny had one.

Image I've been cooing over her and medicated her, so hopefully in a week's time it will have healed. If not, it's off to the vet!

Oh Scruffles..my little attention seeker..

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:29 am

Perhaps Scruffles likes all the attention and just can't bare to be healthy!

Sending healing vibes to Scruffles, I do hope it heals quickly! xx

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:44 am

Sorry to hear about Scruffles' latest issue - hopefully, her eye will heal ok. In addition to your past experience, there's also the well documented experience of Regiane. Healing vibes to Scruffles.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:25 am

Poor Scruffles!
Panqueca is sending you a wheek message: I know how it is, but be firm! You'll be fine, furry friend!

tashab

Post   » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:58 pm

Oh Scruffles! Gentle snuggles are being sent your way.

serelixyue

Post   » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:38 pm

So nice to see thread 2! :) Looking forward to another 50 pagefuls of lovely Brainerror pigs. Hay poke? Is it still IN the eye, or it's just a matter of healing now?

I love your whole herd, and that is the best Squee-photo by far, even beats the ones of her beautiful hair. Who knew she had even prettier leggies?!

Brainerror

Post   » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:53 am

GP mum - I know, I was advising her ;))

Regiane - You wouldn't know anything's wrong if you look at her behaviour! She's such a trooper. Her and Panqueca are now hay poke buddies :D (Btw, how do you pronounce Panqueca? Is is Panqueaka, Panquesa or Panquecha? )

Sere - It's not in here eye any more no. It's when a piece of rough hay accidentally pokes a pig's eye and scratches the surfaces causing the eye to go opaque in order to heal itself. As long as there's no puss or redness, it should heal within a week with antibiotics and/or a topical ointment.
Squee does have nice shaxy legs :p

Today her eye is a little more opaque, but still looking 'good'. You can really see the scratch on the cornia in the middle of her eye (the left blob of white is my reflection) and it's a little raised, but her eye or surrounding tissues isn't red or swollen so...so far so good.

poppycorn

Post   » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:02 am

I'm really glad you continued!

I don't have any pictures but Popcorn got an eye infection (because of a hay poke the vet thinks) and it cleared up pretty quickly with some prescribed eyedrops. Her eyeball was shrunken (her socket has swollen) and it was solid white with a scratch on it.

Maybe bathe it in some warmed water (so it's bacteria free.. just boil a kettle and leave it to cool completely) with some salt in it. That has helped clear up Thumper and Dusty's eyes before :)

Poor little Scruffles has been in the wars recently!

Amy265

Post   » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:59 am

Well I am an import Dutchie, American girl marries Dutch dude. Been in Holland 8 years... still working on my dutch...
Love your story and your girls. xx
Get better vibes coming your way for Scruffles eye poke. Poor baby, she has been through a lot lately.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:29 am

It is looking much better! I think the fact that she can open her eye so comfortably says a lot.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:28 pm

It does look better already.
Do you think a little antibiotic eye cream (can't remember the name, the yellow and white tube thing) will help?
Mojo had that twice, once for a hay poke and a blocked tear-duct episode.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:23 pm

BE, when Panqueca had this problem, my vet told my to clean her eye with chamomile cold tea before apply the ointment twice a day. Other people confirmed that it's a good cleanser and have a calming effect. If you want to try, you just prepare the tea and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

Ah, "Panqueca"... it's like Pankeka the pronunciation, I think. You can hear me saying Panqueca in this old (really old) video. She was learning to stand up. :)

982 posts