Sperm or Bladder problem

gizzy

Post   » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:26 am

Hi can anyone help with this ,
I have 2 un neutered 4 year old boars (brothers) living together ,

periodically , over the last 6 months one of them (Baby Pig) would start to wheek when he wee’s /poo’s.

Vet prescribed septrin and condition would only last for 8-10 days.

3 weeks ago he stated again , vet X-Rayed , no stones sowed so septrin again ! After 7 days his discomfort was getting worse and he was now starting to grunt at the end of a weeking session .

Took him back to vets with wee sample , and Vets basic test and spin showed nothing out of the ordinary , but he was X-Rayed again , and again nothing showed , so back to the septerin and this time 3 drops of 1.5mg/ml metercam was used once a day , together with
Cystease (cat  Cystitis remedy )

A week ago there was no improvement , so vet took him in and under GA , took more X-Rays and partly cauterized ? and emptied the bladder , he was wheek free for 24 hours , then it started again , and this time he produced a sperm rod .

Back to the Vet to get a full lab work up of a wee sample ( this time minute gravel particles were clearly present) ,

I showed Vet sperm rod , vet suggested possible castration ,if lab test showed it was necessary , as one possible option , and would also look at opening and cleaning out the bladder if deemed necessary , after test results !

Over the last few days I have been syringe feeding him large (20-30ml a day ) red Pepper (hi C) juice to help flush his bladder , and it also has the effect of dramatically reducing the times that he wheeks in pain .

But this morning ( 9 hours without Juice ) he started wheeking and a loud grunt , and produced this (see pic’s )

It is the same rubbery consistency as the sperm rod , which later dried hard !!

Every time he has had one of theses phases , I test his wee with Roch 9 test sticks , and the readings have always been clear , apart from a couple of positive for nitrates .

Last 3 test I did, showed high blood levels (to be expected !)

I have had pigs in the past that have passed small “hard” bladder stones , but this possible sperm thing has me worried

Would really appreciate any input , as my Vet, though very pig savvy , is not totally sure how to treat this !!!!

onetwo

Post   » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:28 pm

Wow good clear pics. I hope you can get some help here with your piggy...

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Are the photos of what you believe to be ejaculate? What I recall is people posting look worm like ejaculate that is rubbery/hard. Is it supposedly blocking urine from passing?

Did you see any calcium particles? You've read the stones page and info on interstitial cystitis? I wish I had better advice for you. Pain medication may help relax things. I have never had a male so I can only add comments from things I've read.

gizzy

Post   » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:52 am

Hi Linx , I am unsure what the photo is ? Baby pig gave a loud grunt , and when I rolled back the preputial ostiun (skin round penis ) what you see in the pic’s was there .

A few days earlier he produced a Sperm/ejaculate rod , (worm like Rubbery , drying hard )

the thing in the pic was the same rubbery constancy , though is has not hardened like the sperm rod , as I have sealed it in plastic , to take to my vet on Monday .

In the first spin my vet did there were no reported calcium deposits/crystals , but the last sample I took in for lab analysis , had a high amount of sand like partials,

Yes I have read all your related pages , Baby pigs only symptom is pain when wee’ing.poo’ing and treated accordingly , though pain meds have no noticeable effects ,

The only thing that has had any effect is 2 hourly syringe drinks of veg juice,

I have moved there cage to the hospital room (nothing grand , just my bedroom LOL ) and gave him 3 hourly syringe drinks during the night , and there has been minimal discomfort!!

Though my obvious concern is a blockage !!!!

Sorry for the large pics stretching the page , computers aren’t my thing

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:33 am

I wish I knew more! You seem very on top of this and would catch problems with passing urine quickly. I hope your vet can provide some answers.

gizzy

Post   » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:59 pm

Update on Baby Pig

He had a bad night last light , at 3 am this morning (time wrong an camera ) he was wheeking and grunting and tiring to remove this (see Pic’s ) from his wily , another Sperm/ejaculate rod .

I pulled it out and cleaned him up , but the strain of trying to pass this cased him a lot of discomfort and he was wheeking on and off for the rest of the night.

Took him to the vet this afternoon , and it turned out that only part of the "UA" (Lab Urinalyses) had been competed , and it was still uncertain as to the true nature of his problem , but choices needed to be made , as Baby Pigs situation was getting worse .

I discussed the possibility of chemical castration , and vet was prepared to go ahead with that option, but waned me that there was a 2 week stabilizing period before the implant kicked in

as there was a danger of him getting a blockage , and the very small window before kidney damage !! I decided on castration , as the best option .

Hopefully assuming he survives the opp , ( no reason he shouldn’t, he is a fit and health 4 year old), vet discussed the possibility of hitting any bacterial infection with Zithromax (azithromycin)

as possible infection that was “part” ? recognized by the UA , may be well resistant to Septrin and Batril , that have been heavily used already

SardonicSmile

Post   » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:18 pm

I'm not sure, but that stuff kind of looks like what my piggie peed out only this morning and it turned out to be calcium. Have to call the vet again tomorrow as I heard 2 different stories about what kind of calcium it actually was the carbonate or the oxylate (I think those are the 2)

I do not have a picture as I was at the vets when this happened, for the same reason you were, wheeking when peeing. The vet tech took it away at once to put it under a microscope. They had never seen this before.

My piggie does not have stones, but she does have sludge, very hard to tell on an x-ray and they missed it at first glance.

Her pee was clear, no signs of infection, not even signs of calcium deposits.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2014

Post   » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:33 pm

That looks like very thick sludge in the urine. Have you tried reducing his calcium intake? Or increasing his fluid intake by syringing extra water? You may want to consider using Shilintong to relax his urinary tract.

http://www.guinealynx.info/normal.html#urine

http://www.guinealynx.info/stones.html#supplements

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:11 pm

I agree with Pink Rufus. It also looks to me like some thick clumps of sludge. If a guinea pig has issues with bladder sludge, it can come out pretty thick, sort of the consistency of toothpaste. They might not necessarily have a stone. The crying while trying to pee also sounds more like behavior that would come from pain due to sludge or interstitial cystitis.

Dried ejaculate usually looks more transparent, kind of like a cellophane noodle (sorry for the food related imagery!) And it stinks. Does the stuff that came out of your pig have a strong odor?
I've had to remove these from our male piggies from time to time, but they never seem to cause any pain or discomfort. I can usually tell one is there because I can smell it when I get near the pig.

I hope your vet will be able to help shed some light on what's going on with your poor guy soon.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:19 pm

The calcium/sludge/stones idea is a definite possibility. Not rereading, but has he had an xray recently?

gizzy

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:54 pm

Hi , update on Baby Pig
NB pic's with post, camera on the fritz with times and dates , so they do not correspond with the dates I have written down !!

He had his opp Tuesday 11.30 02/08/11 , but when I went to pick him up at 4.30, as instructed, staff were concerned as he was awake , but totally listless . (probably a bad reaction to the Domitor used in his GA )

They said I could leave him there , but as they close at 6.30, he would be left all night unattended , so I took him home .

By the time I got home , he had worsened , and by 8pm he still hadn’t moved ,It had been a very hot day and Baby Pig was starting to get worryingly dehydrated ,

his breathing getting more and more shallow , and his eyes were sinking right back into there sockets , he was totally limp like a rag doll and I could feel all his internal organs ,

To be on the safe side , I syringe fed him re-hydration fluids with a 2 inch long teat cannula ,
to avoid the danger of the fluids entering the trachea and subsequently drowning him !

my vet has subsequently agreed that this was the defiantly the safest option under the circumstances , as he would not survived the ¾ hour drive to the emergency vet

After a long evening and even longer night , he stabilized

03/08/11 morning fully awake and re-hydrated , eyes, and body mass nearly back to normal and he was eating hay and bits of parsley , with no discomfort wee’ing , until late afternoon , when he gave a loud wheek , then a grunt and produced this plug !!!

An hour or so later he was still in a lot of discomfort when wee’ing and poo’ing , so carefully examined his willy and found this sperm/ejaculate rod stuck in his Urethral orifice ,

I tried to extract it , but as he just been operated on , I could not risk to much disturbance , so it was left alone and monitored though out the night .

04/08/11, morning, eating well and happy to take syringe juice to flush bladder , then aprox 2 hours after first juice of the morning , he gave I little wheek and started straining , on examination I found this sperm rod , and extracted it with little trouble

Click to play

Put him in the wee sample colector to check his wee flow (was normal) and I took a sample and tesed with urine test sticks , and results were fine on all but nitrates ( possibly indicating bacteria )

05/08/11 apart from nitrates , Baby Pig has had another clear urine test , and not a sign of discomfort when he wee’s or poo’s ,

but due to the lab  urinalysis showing low grade bacterial infections, that had not been cleared up with a 14 day course of Septrin

( sample was submitted on the 14th day of treatment ) vet though that a couse of azithromycin, (Zithromax) would be better , as the bactera had probably built up a resistance the other anti-b’s

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:50 pm

I hope the neuter completely stops the production of ejaculate. It seems to be causing a great deal of pain and discomfort.

You might want to closely read Erin's tips on postop neuter care, as sometimes infections develop:

gl/postop.html

Would you like me to add this series of pictures permanently to the board also? This seems to be an unusual case.
Last edited by Lynx on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

onetwo

Post   » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:47 am

Very detailed pics. My goodness, what kind of camara are you using? I can't get within 12 inches of my subject without bad fuzz.

Sending positive vibes that all works out for Baby Pig...

gizzy

Post   » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:16 pm

Baby Pig, has been wheek and discomfort free since the removal of the sperm rod, he is wee'ing normally , and the neuter is healing very well ,

i am so glad that l opted for the neuter, as opposed to chemical castration , as it is possible he may not have lasted the 2 weeks for it to take action .

and yes Lynx this is an unusual one ,please feel free to add this series of pictures permanently to the board,

hopefully it may benefit other keepers that may encounter similar symptoms,

i will continue to update on he progress

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:27 pm

Thanks gizzy. I really hope this takes care of everything for him! Very encouraging to hear he is peeing normally right now. Do follow Erin's tips. We've had a number of guinea pigs develop abscesses and her recommendations will help.

I cropped and compressed the pics so they should download quickly for readers.

Hoping all your updates are positive ones!!

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:42 pm

I'm glad Baby Pig is doing better. Keep up the good work!

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:48 am

I'm so sorry to hear Baby Pig was having such problems. He's lucky to have a dedicated cavy parent though. Here's to no more buildup problems.

gizzy

Post   » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:23 am

Thanks Guy’s for you wishes !

onetwo’s> quote,
Very detailed pics. My goodness, what kind of camera are you using? I can't get within 12 inches of my subject without bad fuzz. Unquote >

Hi onetwo , thanks !! But nothing special just a cheap and cheerful £40 on offer Samsung S1050 , it has a macro facility

Lynx ‘s>quote .
Do follow Erin's tips. We've had a number of guinea pigs develop abscesses and her recommendations will help. unquote>

Thanks Lynx , l read this a wile ago , very helpful , as I went through a run of post neuter abscesses last year, 5 out of 7 in fact, was considering changing Vet .

Update on Baby Pig .

Still monitoring him in my hospital room /Bedroom , and will continue to do so for several weeks .No pain or discomfort wee’ing and poo’ing , in fact no problems at all . The urine test sticks I use (Roche Combur 9 ) are showing clear , even the nitrate if negative ! But I will compete the 10 day course of Zithromax (azithromycin) .

Baby Pig and his brother, Crinkle , have been bonded since birth, due to his post operation, to maintain the stability of the bond they are in a large cage , divided by an 1 ½ inch gage, solid mesh ,

Yesterday I took away the division and after a few hours of settling down together , it was evident that the balance of power, as so to speak had changed !!!

Crinkle had for over 4 years been the dominant of the two. The bond was a stable one , it’s just that Baby Pig was always the submissive of the two .

I don’t know whether it is a post neuter burst of hormones or what ??? , but now after all that time , Baby Pig is boss pig ,

Whether it lasts remains to be seen !!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:38 pm

So glad to hear he continues to be comfortable.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:12 pm

Oh my gosh! What awful pictures! I'm sorry I didn't realize how extensive this problem was when I posted earlier. It really did look to me like thick calcium deposits in urine at first.

Does your vet know what might have been going wrong to cause what appears to be an overproduction of ejaculate?

I'm glad Baby Pig seems to be feeling better.

21 posts