NEED HELP_ Female guinea pig with BLOAT...

babydolleyes15

Post   » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:17 pm

Hello all on the forum. I just read the treat about "BLOAT" and how the piggie made it through the night. I would please desperately need your advice as I have a very similar situation with my female, desexed guinea pig "Schnulla" here in Athens, Greece where I moved with my piggies about 3 years ago. Schnulla was fine until this morning and eating as usual. Starting midday I noticed a bit of a watery eye and her being lethargic and not wanting to eat. Me and my husband watched her closely and about 2-3 hours later she seemed to be in pain when touching her and also her eyes were more watery. Greece is very bad with exotic vets, there are literally none. We have a vet who has good knowledge of guineas but is not an expert. We took her to the vet immediately and did an Xray which showed the intestines very very bloated. When we had reached the doctor he belly had swollen and was very hard. She also seemed to be breathing heavily. The vet gave her an injection of "Buscopan" to relax the intestines and relief the pain, additionally an injection of Baytril and a injection to hydrate her. she had passed her last poop around noon today. The "Buscopan" seemed to have worked within 15 min as the belly started to soften and she didn't wheek. The vet told us to get some "Nujol" which is "Heavy Mineral Oil" and give her a couple of drops throughout the next hours until she starts to poop again. I have critical care at hand which I'm trying to give her as well as water. Have you ever heard to give a guinea "heavy mineral oil". There is no other animal hospital or vet I can go to. The bellow has definitely swollen down a lot but she is still a lethargic and doesn't want to eat. When I put her on the floor she walk a couple of steps but then lays down, moving around a bit to find a comfortable position... any suggestions you could give are highly appreciated... Thanks so much! Natalie

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2018

Post   » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:36 pm

Don't hand feed her or force fluids when she is bloated. You need to get the pressure off first. Try the vibrating pillow and massage:
http://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=117

You can also give infant Simethicone or activated charcoal to reduce gas.

Here is the info on bloat:
http://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#bloat

babydolleyes15

Post   » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:59 pm

Hi PinkRufus: I don't have a vibrating pillow or access to any meds, only critical care, Nujol Oil which is Paraffin Oil or heavy mineral oil. The vet gave her a shot of Buscopan which made her belly softer but it's still a bit bloated. She hasn't yet pooped or peed but I'm not sure if this is bc of not eating today. I read in the treat here that giving water will help pass it... is this not correct. Otherwise, do I just gently massage her both sides or also the lower side of the belly? I have a picture of her xray also if that helps...

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2018

Post   » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:02 pm

It would be helpful if you can post the x-ray.

babydolleyes15

Post   » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:03 pm

How do I post a .jpg on this site please? Thank you for responding... I am desperate...

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2018

Post   » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:05 pm

Here is a link that should help you post your pic:
http://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=78

babydolleyes15

Post   » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:10 pm

Ok I'll try now...

babydolleyes15

Post   » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:17 pm

http://s1126.photobucket.com/albums/l603/babydolleyes15/?action=view&current=IMG_2429.jpg

here it is the xray. Unfortunately we couldn't do a side shot bc she was in pain. Please note that the belly was hard at that point. It is now soft again however she may still be a bit bloated. I can post a picture of her now. Thanks!

onetwo

Post   » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:18 pm

If you don't have a vibrating pillow you can make one with anything that vibrates. A personal massager, a back massager, a wonky washer on spin cycle with a pillow on top.

Infant Simethicone is available at pretty much any store most likely even in other countries. Its a baby gas drop. Same with liquid charcoal. Probably can find it at a local pharmacy as well.

As for mineral oil (or so its called here) it is a chemicle laxitive and I don't see how it would help or hurt at this point except might cause the opposite issue of loose poops.

BamBam

Post   » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:26 pm

When you say you have no access to meds are you not able to purchase "over the counter" remedies from your pharmacy?

Simethicone is an ingredient in human baby wind relieving liquid and activated charcoal is also a human remedy.

Perhaps you could discuss with your pharmacist?

BamBam

Post   » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Sorry Onetwo - posted together.

babydolleyes15

Post   » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:30 pm

Here is a picture of her now. Please note that she always had a bit more of a belly...

http://s1126.photobucket.com/albums/l603/babydolleyes15/?action=view&current=Schnullanow.jpg

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2018

Post   » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:33 pm

It does look like she has improved from the first x-ray. Try to get some charcoal or Simethicone from your human pharmacy and keep up massaging her.

babydolleyes15

Post   » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:37 pm

Hi BamBam,
thanks for the explanations. It's currently 12.30 am in Greece so all shops are closed. I can try to find a pharmacy that is open. When you mention the following below:

"Simethicone is an ingredient in human baby wind relieving liquid and activated charcoal is also a human remedy"...

is "Simeticone" or "activated charcoal" what I'd be asking for bc I have to explain this in Greek to the pharmacist and it's really a mess here. Since Schnulla received an injection of Buscopan which softened her belly, we have been gently massaging her. We just moved so we have absolutely nothing that vibrates here...
As for the pharmacist, can you suggest any brands or have any more detail bc it'll be difficult to explain this... if I was in the US it wouldn't be any problem...
I have posted the xrays and also before/after photo. Do you also suggest not to feed her any liquid etc?

babydolleyes15

Post   » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:46 pm

PinkRufus/BamBam:
We have talked to an emergency pharmacy and they seem to have sth ... I will post again once I have the meds in my hands. Seems they have "Simethicone" for babies which comes as a liquid. Do you know how much I'd be using. I will post the info first. Should have it in 10 min...
THANK YOU!!!

onetwo

Post   » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:52 pm

Yep that is the one. I usually give my 1kg pigs 2-4 drops depending on gas severity, every few hours. Do you have an electric/battery operated toothbrush or can you buy something that vibrates at the pharmacy? That will really help to pass the gas.

BamBam

Post   » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:52 pm

I think:

Simethicone = Alu-Cap Pepsamar (??)

I go that from this page so do check it:
http://gidrugs.com/index.php/tag/aluminium-hydroxide-gel-ph-greece

BamBam

Post   » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:54 pm

In a 40mg/ml suspension (infacol here in the UK) I give 2ml (yes, that is not a typing error) repeated 2 hourly as necessary.

This is moving a little fast for my poor brain!

babydolleyes15

Post   » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:31 pm

Thank you. We got " INFACOLIC" and "Carbosylane" I'll start with Infacolic. She weights 950gr, so close to 1 kg. Do I start with infacolic? I have the smallest syringe so I can get it in her mouth more easily. It's a 1 ml I think? Do I give her also water and critical care or wait until she starts to pee or poop?
yes I have an electric toothbrush. Will start using it now also...

196 posts