Simethicone

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:44 pm

How much of Simethicone do you use for treating a mild case of bloat?

LandosMomma

Post   » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:06 pm

Usually 1/2 the infant dose, twice per day. Everyone ok?

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:10 pm

Thanks!

When I woke up to feed veggies and tidy the cages, I noticed in Barnaby and Ernie's cage there was one set of regular poops and one set of small ones.
So I noticed right away that Barnaby had a round tummy, so I took him out and his tummy was kind of firm and you could even notice gas in it. I swear I could see movement.
I popped him on my lap and he stretched out and man was he fluffing.
He is eating, drinking and moving around, I just needed to give him a little something more to get this back on track.
I am keeping a very close eye on him and have given him a dose of the medication and will again later.

LandosMomma

Post   » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:13 pm

Push the hay for sure and cut off veggies for now. I am glad you noticed it right away!

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:15 pm

Okay, I will stop veggies. I did give him cucumber thinking he could use some hydration.
Why are veggies bad? Too gassy?
He is eating hay like normal so I am glad.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:27 pm

I'm sorry Barnaby has bloat. The Simethicone, some exercise and putting him on a vibrating pillow will all help for now. If he keeps getting bigger it will be an emergency. If this continues, it would be a very good idea to get some Raglan/Metoclopromide or another motility drug from your vet. Once things stop moving, it can be difficult to get them going again. So, it's good that you are on top of this situation.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:30 pm

I will make sure to watch him!!!
I don't have a vibrating pillow but while he was on my lap I was shaking my leg slightly to rock him a bit and he was very stinky.
When should I get concerned? If he is still a bit gassy tonight? Or how long does it usually take for it to go away?

xw0lfie
Can't Stop Giving

Post   » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:40 pm

I hope Barnaby gets better! Feels less gassy, keep us updated.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:29 pm

How often should I give Barnaby the meds?
I have given it to him twice today and wonder if I should again before bed or not?
And do I give him some more tomorrow?
There are tons of poops in the cage now, all regular sized.
Barnaby has been eating hay and drinking water.
His tummy looks a lot smaller and he seems much more comfortable than he did during the day.
So any advice of how many more times I should give him the simethicone, would be great.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:34 pm

My vet said to use Simethicone 2 - 3 times daily. You don't have to keep giving it when his belly goes back down to normal. Lots of normal sized poops is very good!!

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:54 pm

I also notice he is drinking a ton now, so I think he is feeling much better.
Most of today he was snacking and sleeping, but now he is up and moving all around, drinking tons and eating lots of hay.

What a relief :)