UK Sources, Suppliers and Equivalents

aj_trouble
Gave a Guinea!!

Post   » Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:11 pm

This thread is to enable UK members to find equivalent products to the USA recommendations and share information which is useful to other UK members.

Please do not post replies to this thread.

If you have any comments or recommendations please email me through my profile email address.

Thank you

aj_trouble
Gave a Guinea!!

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:22 am

Here is a link to a site which lists medications, categorised by the problems they are effective for treating and their generic names and trade names in the United Kingdom, United States, and Germany.

http://icelord52.tripod.com/squeak/meds.html [Edit - link also found on medications page -- Lynx]

Link suggested by Pigluvver - thanks!

To contribute to this thread or make a suggestion, go here for more information.

aj_trouble
Gave a Guinea!!

Post   » Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:38 pm

Guinea Pig First Aid Kit

This Emergency First kit should contain enough items to keep your Guinea Pig on its toes, while waiting for a Vets appointment. As in human First Aid - it is a 'temporary patch' and you should always follow up with a visit to a professional. Most of the items here will help to relieve the symptoms, but not cure the problem. For help diagnosing a medical condition refer to the Emergency/Medical Forum.

1 ml syringes (without needle) - for giving meds.

3/5 ml Syringes (without needle) - for giving Critical Care/liquidised food.

Cotton Wool balls and buds.

Savlon Antiseptic Wash - For more information click here.

Tea Tree Oil - for minor cuts and grazes (if you can't find pure essential oil - try this from Boots).

Critical Care by Oxbow Pet Products (available from your vet or from these two websites, Bunny Bazaar or Vet Bed).

Cornflour for over-clipped nails.

Optrex - for washing foreign objects from eyes (available at Boots).

Vicks decongestant - slightest dab on the rose to relieve the side effects of a respiratory infection, available at Boots).

Infant electrolyte solution (sugar free is possible) or Dioralyte - for increasing fluids when they have diarrhoea or are not drinking enough fluids, available from Boots).

Cranberry juice - ease the side effects of cystitis (best UK product I have found is... Biona Organic Pure Cranberry Juice 330ml).

Diocalm - half a tablet every eight hours to ease side effects of diarrhoea, available from Boots.

Betadine ointment for lip sores.

100g charcoal tablet - for poisioning (mixed with water)

Infacol colic drops for infants - helps to eliminate gas (available at Boots).

Baby oil/olive oil - for softening any hardened lumps in a guinea pig's anus (impaction).

Paediatric kaolin - available from most chemists.

Bob Martin's Mite Spray for small animals - available from Pets at Home.

Covered hot water bottle.

Towels.

Vetwrap - for bandages.

Other items you might like to try here.

Thank you to PsycoFalcon, Deborah, Peter Gurney, Pigluvver and anyone else who contributed towards this list.

Please note I do not endorse any of the suggested websites above (except Boots) - they are purely for your own reference.

aj_trouble
Gave a Guinea!!

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:19 pm

I recently came across this product in a Melbecks Garden Centre.

Tea Tree Shower by Beaphar
'This is a gentle refreshing spray, helps to cleanse the coat and refresh your pet. It will also repel fleas, mites and other insects. The natural properties of Tea Tree help to cool and soothe sore, itchy or irritated skin. Tea Tree has a natural antiseptic action, which can help prevent minor wounds and bites from becoming infected.'
£2.99 for 150ml

Great for those little piggies that hate getting bathed!

To contribute to this thread or make a suggestion, go here for more information.

aj_trouble
Gave a Guinea!!

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:56 pm

No one else has come up with another supplier for Cuddle Cups yet - so I will add this one for the time being....

http://www.petcompany.co.uk/ (under cage accessories)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:01 pm

Do you really want to write: It will also repel fleas, mites and other insects. ? Might someone not get the idea that they could use this instead of ivermectin for a severe case of mange mites?

aj_trouble
Gave a Guinea!!

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:05 pm

Lynx - good point.

Please remember that the Tea Tree Shower is a 'herbal' remedy and should not be used in place of conventional medication.

aj_trouble
Gave a Guinea!!

Post   » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:48 am

The Playmobil Guinea Pig Farm has finally reached the UK!!

You can order it at www.playmobil.co.uk for £5.99! Although shipping is £6.00.

If anyone can find stockists in the UK, please let me know!

aj_trouble
Gave a Guinea!!

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:25 pm

New source for grids - not exactly the same though - could be good for babies?

[crappy link removed -- Lynx -- please use www.tinyurl.com ]

aj_trouble
Gave a Guinea!!

Post   » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:52 am

I have been informed by Jools63, that Monarch Direct are stocking C&C at the moment..

http://www.monarchdirect.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Cube_Shelving.html

Tel 0870 750 5475 / 6

(Also listed under the section on Outdoor / DIY / Garden section as a guinea pig cage with a picture which I believe has already been identified as one of Cavy Cages!).

EACH SET INCLUDES SIX 14" SQ CUBES
Price: £29.50 (Excluding: VAT at 17.5%)

aj_trouble
Gave a Guinea!!

Post   » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:08 am

Also, I have been told that Costco are selling grids.

They have stores in the UK at..

England
Birmingham
Chingford
Derby
Gateshead
Haydock
Leeds
Liverpool
Manchester
Oldham
Reading
Thurrock
Watford

Scotland
Aberdeen
Edinburgh
Glasgow

You will need to become a member, similar to MAKRO and MATALAN stores.

To find their locations log onto www.costco.com and select Warehouse Locater from the top navigation bar.

If anyone can find the product on their website, please let me know and I will try to link directly.

aj_trouble
Gave a Guinea!!

Post   » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:14 pm

How about this for a plaything for your rabbit or guinea pig???

http://www.cjanimal.co.uk/

Click on Chateau Lapin...and remember it's Christmas soon!

aj_trouble
Gave a Guinea!!

Post   » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:21 pm

Fellow GL poster 'DaCourt', has found a wonderful new item from IKEA that makes a fantastic pigloo...

The product line is BLIMP and it's called a Wall Pocket!

It costs $4.99 in the US and £2.90 in the UK. The bottom is removable so you don't have to use it. To clean it, all you do is wipe it down with a damp cloth.

It is 100% polyester.
Depth: 5 ½ "
Diameter: 15 ¾ "

US link...

UK link (£2.90)
[more crappy links removed -- please use www.tinyurl.com -- Lynx]

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:35 am

I've found another UK online supplier for Oxbow products, Fiddlesticks, Pigloos etc. www.pets-plus.co.uk based in Birmingham. Prices are comparable with Bunny Bazaar.

Also grids for C&C cages have been advertised in the Kleeneze home shopping catalogue if anyone has access to one. £20 for 13 grids and connectors.

Ivermectin paste Vectin is available from www.wormers-direct.co.uk

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:19 am

Oxbow Critical Care can be ordered online from www.petstone-petstore.co.uk in 454g tubs for £26.44 or 141g sachets for £11.28.

Supreme Science Recovery (some UK vets use this instead) is also available on the above site for £13.14 for a box of 10 x 20g sachets or at www.bunnymail.co.uk for for £1.50 per 20g sachet.

Jools63

Post   » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:44 pm

Very reasonably priced supplier of lay n lounge chairs plus other "essentials"!

http://www.chinchillacymru.co.uk/nibbleshousing.htm

SmileyAli
Supporter in '05

Post   » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:49 pm

B&Q Warehouse Manchester now stocking the cubes for C&C cages - only available in chrome at a cost of £19.98.

aj_trouble
Gave a Guinea!!

Post   » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:45 am

More crome C & C, from the Cotswold Company...

The Cotswold Company

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:00 am

Found this Bunny Bazaar site while googling Readigrass. It has many of the Oxbow products that are hard to find in the UK. Hope this isn't a repeat!

45 posts