Tests for Pig Blindness

Sidera17

Post   » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:39 pm

One of my pigs, Chex, has started behaving strangely, and we suspect he may be going blind. He does not have cataracts or visible eye issues.

Does anyone have any blind-pig anecdotal experience or ways to detect whether he is blind? The vet could not tell accurately, but said the eyes still responded to light shone in them.

He is moving slower and seems less sure of where he is going. He is also suddenly more fearful. I know their other senses are stronger and can assist them, so it makes detecting this difficult.

Any suggestions on how to tell?

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:33 am

I test blindness by throwing something soft and light near the pig. That way they can't hear any thump of falling down. If the pig reacts to that, the pig can see.

jacqueline

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:01 am

Sorry to hear about your piggy's difficulties. I have four blind pigs, and it really isn't that bad. Of course, mine were born blind, so that's different than losing your sight. Also I think if it is cataracts, the odd things it may be doing to his vision could be worrisome/frightening to him.

My guess is whatever it is , he'll adjust. Is he with another pig? I found a HUGE difference in my pigs once I put a "seeing eye pig" (a pig with regular vision) in with them. They follow that pig around, and I'm sure follow his scent to help guide them around the cage. Yesterday I even totally rearranged the cage, for boredom-busting, but also because of weather changes, and they are adjusting quite well.

Good luck!