Normal weight for old pig?

sonthakit

Post   » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:46 pm

I wonder what is normal weight for old pig in your experience?
In this post
viewtopic.php?t=40311
Weight loss could be the sign of heart problem for old pig.

I have a pig which just die today.
She has a most heavy weight 1200 gram at 2 years old.
And she slowly loss her weight to 680 gram when she die at 5.5 years. (about 100-200 gram per year).
When she turn 5 years, she seem to have less activity. But normal breathing and normal mucus membrane. Still seem to be happy lovely pig. I think because of her old age and hip arthritis. But not think of any other problem.

Yesterday, she still active, play with me and eat a lot.
This morning, she have difficult breathing, bluish lip and rapidly turn to dead.

So, I wonder that is it normal for this age to have weight around 600-700 gram? Is aging and weight lost is normal?

Sorry for bad english.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:49 pm

Almost all animals, and also people, lose weight as they age. But what you describe is a lot of weight loss. There could be many causes of that -- kidney or liver disease, cancer, etc. Her death sounds like it could have been caused by heart disease or a stroke.

But 5.5 years is a pretty good age for a guinea pig, especially since I'm guessing that you don't have many exotic vets where you are to help you care for one. It sounds like you did your very best with her. I'm sorry she's gone.

sonthakit

Post   » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:01 pm

What is normal weight for this age in your experience?
How much weight lost for old pig you can tolerate?

jacqueline

Post   » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:17 pm

I use this guide here as a start. When I weigh them weekly, I also check to see if they gained or lost from week to week, but also if there's a trend. Losing 30 grams in one week is different from losing weight every week for the past six months, even if it's only 10 grams or so each week.

if there are special circumstances I also take that into account. When a new pig comes in, or a cage mate dies, things like that can cause a temporary weight loss.

https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:20 pm

There really is no "normal" weight for a pig's age -- it depends far more on the bone structure of the pig. Some pigs are very small, and would be overweight at 900 grams. Others are big-boned, and not at all overweight at 1300 grams.

It sounds as though you're worried that your pig died because of the weight loss. I doubt seriously that's true. It probably died because something else was wrong, and whatever that was also caused the weight loss. To stop the weight loss, you would have had to treat whatever was causing it.

However, one of the best things you can do for your pigs is to weigh them regularly and record their weights. If you notice a pattern of weight loss, then something is likely wrong however old the pig is.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:12 pm

I am so sorry you lost your guinea pig.

I second the weighing weekly. Be prepared to hand feed if a guinea pig is not eating. A knowledgeable vet is so important. Do you have another guinea pig?

www.guinealynx.info/.html

sonthakit

Post   » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:28 pm

I am confuse, bpatters.
Almost all animals, and also people, lose weight as they age
If you notice a pattern of weight loss, then something is likely wrong however old the pig is.
So, it will be abnormal for every old pig?

The situation is... it look like normal day every day. The pig lost weight but very very slow. Average 4 gram per week. Or 200 gram per year. There is no abruptly weight change. No abruptly change of behavior. Eating is normal. That why I am asking. Is it normal for weight lost when it get old? Or the old pig don't lost weight.

Thank you Lynx. I have the other two pigs. Don't worry for me. I know that she get old and I have prepare my mind for this lost. I just question myself that I may make a mistake, assume that this weight loss is a normal for old pig. This lesson is for better care for my other pigs. The one will be 4 years this December. The other one just 2+ years.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:26 pm

Generally, old people and animals gradually lose weight -- it's just part of the aging process.

Losing 4 grams a week for two or three weeks isn't a problem, however old the the pig is. But any pig, again regardless of age, that loses 4 grams a week for a year has something wrong with it other than its age. Unless it's a very old pig, like 9 or 10 years or older -- then that weight loss might be normal.

Your pig wasn't particularly old, so I wouldn't consider this to be part of age-related weight loss.

jacqueline

Post   » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:45 pm

I agree with Bpatters. A couple of weeks of weight loss (4grams) wouldn't worry me. But if it lasted week after week, it is a problem.

I have one old pig who was losing weight for several weeks. I started to hand feed him twice a day and gradually he started eating better on his own.

If they keep losing weight sometimes they get weak, then don't eat, and then get weaker, etc. If they don't start gaining weight again after a couple weeks, I start to hand feed, and if that doesn't help them start to gain again (or at least stop losing) I take them to the vet for a check up.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:43 pm

jacqueline put up a link to the weighing page ( www.guinealynx.info/.html ). It has some tips and guidelines for a healthy weight. You need to evaluate an older guinea pig's weight with those guidelines in mind (the pig might be on the lighter side but not be bony).

sonthakit

Post   » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:59 am

Seem like every one conclude that the old's body weight should be the same as or near the young. As long as I can see, every pigs of mine lost weight after 2 years old.

For the link https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html
It is good but it is not say anything to the old one.

Can aging cause weight lost? How much weight lost is significant in an old? It seem to be a difficult answer for the owner who have not much experience.

Even the Paulo's chart has only maximum 53 weeks which is only one year old. There is no any data for young and old pig. Are there any data of body weight for the whole life? Can you show me some examples of your old pig? How much weight of your own? Normal percentage weight lost in one year in an old?

I don't need scientific data or rule. I just want to know other experience. Thank.
Sorry for bad English. I don't mean to rude.

jacqueline

Post   » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:40 am

Sorry the answers to your questions have not been very direct. I think that's because there is no one answer.

I have had multiple older pigs. A couple of them got that bony feel to them as they got older. They moved slower because of arthritis I think. As long as they were still eating I didn't get too worried.

With males as they get older I check regularly for impaction. Most of my pigs have died from some sort of illness or disease in the end - two had strokes.

Sometimes, with older pigs, as long as they seem to have no pain, and they are comfortable, if they stop or slow down their eating, I may try to hand feed them a little extra. I won't always take them to the vet. Sometimes I think it's better to let them die peacefully in their own home - as long as they're not suffering or in pain.

With an older pig, if you've had them most of their life, you know them. If you see an unusual behavior or symptom, take them to the vet or check her on GL for some idea of what might be happening.

Sometimes the only symptom you see if weight loss, which is why it's so important to weigh every week. If you see weight loss every week for several weeks, it's time to take them to the vet. The vet can determine if there's a medical condition.

There's still so much we don't know about guinea pigs. They're living longer because we've learned how to take better care of them. But old age problems - well, I haven't read to much about that except the occasional story.

It doesn't sound like your pig had any disease that you could see, or that was contagious to your others. And you have learned some things - like how important it is to weigh them.

I'm sorry all your questions can't be answered very well