magnesium

wenton5

Post   » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:27 pm

Hi, has anyone read or had any experience with supplementing magnesium to their pigs? Thank you

sef1268

Post   » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:21 pm

Not me. For what purpose?

LOKIanTHOR

Post   » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:37 pm

I didn't think you needed to give them magnesium, doesn't good piggie food have near enough everything that they need?

xXx

wenton5

Post   » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:42 pm

I have been doing some research online, a lot of research is saying that an abundance of calcium can be balanced by magnesium and/or that calcium levels can be lowered by magnesium.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:16 pm

Research on people, or on pigs? What applies to one doesn't necessarily apply to the other.

wenton5

Post   » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:36 pm

I've found research on both, mainly about calcification

sef1268

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:46 am

...and/or that calcium levels can be lowered by magnesium
Why not just reduce calcium in the diet?

wenton5

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:39 am

Calcium has already been reduced :)

wenton5

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:45 am

Thank you pig wrangler, I have a lot of research documents as well. All the info. is great.
L and the gang

gizzy

Post   » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:25 pm

Maybe??? there could be more here than meets the eye, ???

According to these links magnesium is a very important mineral for the efficient control of calcium , as well as other things , and "not" just for humans!!!!!!!!!!,

And seeing that Guinea pigs often prone to suffer from calcium related bladder problems, it's got to be worth looking at,

Example quote from link > http://drsircus.com/medicine/magnesium/magnesium-and-calcification
It is magnesium that controls the fate of potassium and calcium in the body. If magnesium is insufficient, potassium and calcium will be lost in the urine and calcium will be deposited in the soft tissues (kidneys, arteries, joints, brain, etc.). Magnesium and calcium complete for many of the body’s chemical pathways.
Quote from link> http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=75
About 50 to 60% of a person's magnesium is stored in the bone, and as such, it plays a key role in bone metabolism. Researchers have found that even a mild ongoing magnesium deficiency can lead to a significant amount of bone loss.
Part of the way that this occurs is that when magnesium intake goes too low, levels of parathyroid hormone go down. This leads to a reduced absorption of calcium in the intestines, "as well as increased loss of calcium and magnesium in the urine" . Unquote>

magnesium is even used to in rabbits to clear sludge from the bladder
Use of liquid magnesium in rabbits
with chronic sludge
http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/LiquidMg/Liquid_magnesium.htm

piggycosy

Post   » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:34 pm

I read up on this a while ago especially what you wrote about magnesium and calcification, gizzy, as both my guinea pigs had osseous metaplasia (calcium around the eye). They did not have a high calcium diet which did include Oxbow Cavy Cuisine (and things did not improve when they went on a low-calcium diet) but they did not get much sunlight. They lived near a window with a thin white curtain, so it was all filtered and I tended to avoid putting them on the lawn while the sun was out.

If Guinea Lynx were to collect some data on which pigs developed osseous choriostoma or metaplasia, I would bet many are those that got little sunlight (with a normal calcium diet) or had a high calcium diet and maybe also had some genetic component. I would think that there is also some link between osseous choriostoma/metaplasia and heart disease.

I have used epsom salt baths (it works for humans) and applied magnesium oil on their skin (behind their ears). So far my remaining guinea pig's eye has not worsened and he is on a normal calcium diet.

12 posts • Page 1 of 1