Any suggestions to care for blind piggies?

CavyDad

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:09 pm

We just adopted a pair of blind piggies and I was wondering if anyone here has any experiences that they would like to share.

My wife and I went to the rescue and fell in love with 2 single piggies that were blind and we couldn't make up our mind which one to take home. Fortunately, the people at the rescue suggested we try to see if they would get along and surprisingly enough, both liked each other instantly. It's like they've known each other for a long time.

They are 2 boars (one is a cuy about 1.5 years old and the other is a normal size guinea pig no more than 3 months old). We are keeping their houses, water, hay and food in the same place so they memorize where they are.
However, neither one of them seems interested in chew toys and the younger one is so squirmy that lap time is a real challenge. We even tried having him in a towel, but he's able to unwrap himself really easily.

We know we have to be patient and that it'll take time.

Any suggestions?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:14 pm

It sounds like you have some of the basic things taken care of (putting things in familiar places so they can find them). Might be interesting to use vegs as something they need to go on a quest to find :-)

jacqueline

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:41 pm

I have had several blind pigs. The very best thing you can do is house them with a seeing pig. When I kept my blind pigs alone they were lethargic and wouldn't venture out of their places much. As soon as I added a sighted pig, they came alive.

Pigs can follow scent pretty well and they took to following the sighted pig's scent all around the cage. It was heart warming to see.

I haven't found it necessary to keep things in the same spot, with the exception of the water bottle. The pigs explore around and find what they need - again, through their noses.

When I go to pick them up, I'l gently blow on their fur, so they know I'm coming and they aren't startled. Likewise with putting food and veggies in their cage.

My blind guys were never snugglers, and didn't really like being picked up either.

Dak, my remaining blind and deaf pig has this ritual he does at least once every day. He'll walk around and around the free space on the floor, starting in a small circle and gradually getting larger. He kind of wheeks quietly to himself as he goes. I'm sure he does it to get his bearings. It's so cute to watch and reminds me how capable these guys are.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:27 pm

I have never had a blind piggy but I have had one that didn't like lap time when she was young.

My sows are older now so not as wiggly as a young pig. Abbey is the most restless. When Abbey was the age of your young one she would try and bite her way off my lap.

They have really taken to cuddle cups and seem to enjoy lap time when they are in one. I think they make them feel more secure and less vulnerable. Cuddle cups have become very popular with many piggy owners.

CavyDad

Post   » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:44 am

Thank you all for your responses :)

Jacqueline, our little one does something similar to yours, whenever he is in a new place he spins around (if he had a tail, it would look like he's chasing it). I agree that he's probably getting a feel for what is where.
I'm not sure we'll be able to pair them with able piggies, since we are really reluctant to break the bond of the first pair. However, things may change.

Delaine, thanks for the advice. We thought about using cuddle cups too. What we have found out is that since they are blind, we think that they have no notion of how far off the ground they are. So when being carried or set back on the pen they will try to jump off the cuddle cup even though it may be pretty high up. Hopefully with time they will get used to us and not be so afraid.

Tensonstar

Post   » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:35 pm

i have a cuy, xena, who i think has a osseous metaplasia, going to the vet on monday, is growing and im worried if she becomes blind. she isn't caged with.another pig because she hates all the pigs ive tried to bond her with but she side by side with my other cuy calis cage so they get interation. so my question is if she be okay without a friend in her actual cage or if she dose become blind will it be possible to put my 2 cuys together

jacqueline

Post   » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:30 pm

No need to treat a blind pug any differently. If she's fine alone now, she'll be find if she loses her sight as well. If she "can't" get along with any other pigs now, losing her sight will probably not change that.

IMHO.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1