Pepper's Medical Thread

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:52 pm

Last week Pepper was making pain sounds & we took her to the vet. The vet did an xray & she had stasis. He gave her reglan & metacam injections & a subq & told us to watch her closely, especially for the next 2 days. She seems to be ok. Fingers crossed.

Weird thing is, according to her records, we took her in almost exactly a year ago with the same thing (daughters took her in which is why I don't remember this). I'm trying to think if there's something happening this time of year or something we're doing that would cause this.

She's mainly getting hay & pellets with a bit of lettuce & tomato when we have a salad, carrots several times a week, a slice of banana a couple of times a week, sometimes green pepper and a few raw cranberries each week. I've stopped the banana & cranberries.

Any ideas?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:02 pm

Not really, other than 1) any pig that's had a stasis episode is more prone to another one(s), and 2) this time of year I know I'm less active, one, and tend to drink less water. It's dark and it's cold.

If a guinea pig is less active and also drinks less water, that may contribute to a stasis episode if the piggy is susceptible to it.

Guesses only, though.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:39 pm

Makes sense. Thanks.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:56 am

One of the pigs left blood on the wood chips. We took them both to the vet. One or both have been drinking much less water for about two weeks & we already had the vet check them out for that two weeks ago.

The vet thought Pepper was most likely to have a problem. Her bladder was quite full & she peed on examination & she's had other uti's. She's on bactrim now, but just got the lab results: A small amount of blood & protein in the urine but no white blood cells. We're keeping her on the bactrim so long as it's causing no problems.

We've seen no more blood. The next step is to do an ultrasound on Pepper since a mass - urinary tract or reproductive - could cause sporadic bleeding. If they find nothing on Pepper, then we'll look at Nutmeg.

Any experience with intermittent bleeding? We brought the blood stained wood chips & the vet said that was more blood than a little blood in the urine would cause.

Also, we haven't put our new adoptee (Clementine) into the big cage yet. I'm wondering if it makes sense to wait until we find out what's going on. I don't think it's anything contagious, but I'm more worried about stressing whichever pig has the problem.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:40 pm

I had one guinea pig that passed a few drops of blood a handful of times weeks apart. I wondered if it was related to the reproductive cycle. Maybe also cystitis?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:30 pm

My gut hunch is also to delay introductions until you can get this resolved definitively, as long as Clementine is okay by herself for right now.

Good luck and please let us know how things are going.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:19 am

Thanks for the supportive input, guys. Makes me feel better.

Nutmeg's about 6 & Pepper's 5 1/2. I'd love it if this mother & daughter stuck around for a while longer.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:19 pm

Not great news. Pepper has a 1/2cm stone, a mass in her uterus and a cyst on her kidney. They think the uterine mass is cancerous, but it is right in the middle of her uterus and there's a good chance it hasn't spread. She seems to feel fine & her weight's good.

They want to remove the stone and the uterus. They can't do anything with the kidney, but they can biopsy the cyst & see if it's blood, a cyst or cancer. If it's a cyst they might be able to drain it.

We're all willing to try surgery (didn't ask Pepper) but we're so worried she may end up like Lucy, not being able to use her hind legs. Daughter #1 & I feel like we can't go through all that again & don't want Pepper to go through it.

Seems to me when Lucy was post-op, there were about 3 other pigs on GL at some point in time that had the leg problem. All of them recovered use of the legs.

I'm thinking about starting a thread to see if I can pull in other incidents of this.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:26 pm

Is this too much for a 5 1/2 year old piggie?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:29 pm

If she's in otherwise good health, she should do fine.

If the cyst on the kidney is cancerous, you might consider having her euthanized without waking up. It would be the kindest thing to do, IMO. If it's not, it probably won't bother her. I've had one for at least 60 years that I know of, and maybe my whole life. We'd never have known it was there if it hadn't been discovered while looking for something else.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:56 pm

Interesting point about the cyst. I'll discuss it with the vet & family.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:41 pm

Sending good wishes.

You might bring up the leg issues with the vet. Maybe more care in positioning during the surgery might help.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:45 pm

My husband's going to talk to the vet about that. He thinks having a pig's legs in an unnatural splayed position for too long or held down too tight could cause nerve damage. Although vets must do this all the time when they do surgery on pigs.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:20 pm

Nothing to add except my very best wishes to her and to you.

If you've got a really good surgeon, that makes all the difference. You're doing the right researches and asking the right questions.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:48 am

Thank you, Talishan and Lynx.

The newest vet in the practice saw Pepper, but we asked for our usual vet, Dr. K, to do the surgery. She's had lots of years of experience and has "never lost a patient to a spay" (said when she did a spay on Lucy). She also did Lucy's surgery for the stone and took Lucy home with her the first night. She got Lucy through that surgery, but then there was the unfortunate leg thing.

Husband and daughter talked to Dr. K last night. I was at work. Husband mentioned the leg problem so she'll be aware of it while she's working.

She said the new vet asked her to do the surgery - Dr. S was totally freaked at the prospect. So no feelings hurt & would have been fine to ask for our regular vet anyway.

Dr. K said the removal of the stone & uterus is routine - of course no guarantees. In spite of having some bad things going on inside of her, she seems in good health - she's 5 3/4yrs old & still has a normal weight.

Kidney is a different story. The best they can do for her is drain it if it's a cyst. The problem is getting to it. The kidney is wrapped in fat and the mass may be hard to get to/see. We're inclined to not have the vet go to heroic measures to get a look at it. We're still discussing how much probing we're comfortable with. We don't need to know what it is. The only benefit is draining it if it's a cyst, but we'd rather have her just survive the surgery. The mass is 1.5cm - pretty big. Husband thinks that's probably bigger than the kidney.

On a happier note, Pepper's mom, Nutmeg, is a licker - mainly ears. When Pepper was in a crescent shape, relaxing, Nutmeg went over and licked her shaved tummy.

Sorry this is so long!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:06 pm

Absolutely no problem. Continued best to her.

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:03 pm

Good luck!

countrygirl49
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:29 pm

Good luck! And just fyi, my Panda is 5 1/2 and just had a somewhat complicated spay. She's recovering wonderfully.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:35 pm

Thank you all and that's good to hear, countrygirl49.

The surgery is this coming Tues. I will post when it's over.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:32 pm

Hoping the surgery goes well! (with no leg problems!)

46 posts