Brexit - the EU referendum

8ball

Post   » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:36 pm

We could be headed for a reboot :/

bats

Post   » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:50 pm

8ball -- Tory leader Andrea Leadsom actually went further than to say marriage should be reserved for straight couples. She said marriage should be reserved for Christians only! Everyone else (Jews, gays, athiests) should have a civil partnership, not a marriage, because marriage is a Christian institution only.

> ... I would have preferred for civil partnerships to be available to heterosexual and gay couples and for marriage to have a remained a Christian service for men and women who wanted to commit in the eyes of God.

I guess she doesn't want Islamic, Hindu, Sikh, Jewish and Buddhist votes. Nor the Wiccans and Druids. Because White Jesus.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:20 pm

Yeah, yuk.

Personally, I think the government should not be in the marriage business: every couple gets a civil union that is a LEGAL contract with the same benefits for everyone irrespective of race, religion, gay, straight. Religious institutions of all faiths and creeds should be in the marriage business as a religious ceremony. The marriage itself is simply a religious sanctioning of the civil union with no legal standing on its own (like christenings or bar mitzvahs; the government doesn't give the recipients of these religious ceremonies any special legal benefits, but they are profound to the participants nonetheless). Couples all get the civil union and those that wish to have a religious ceremony "get married" too.

That aside, because marriage is such an ingrained part of our culture, it is probably much more important to make it accessible to everyone rather than quibble about whether it is a LEGAL contract or a RELIGIOUS covenant. :-) And for most people it is probably both.

My nephew was married last summer. The bride's family is very religious; not sure what the exact Christian denomination is. Anyway, the father of the bride gave a long speech about how the marriage was a threesome between the couple and Jesus. I nearly died. Ugh. Creep out time.

bats

Post   » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:42 pm

I hope their marriage lasts because 3-way divorces are messy.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:29 pm

Yes! But perhaps my nephew can claim that Jesus had an affair with his wife ;-)

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:59 am

Post referendum Britain is now a very interesting place to be.

It seems that the overall majority vote has somehow given the green light for every racist and their nana to crawl out of the woodwork.

My thoughts are that the less educated and secretly racist people in society seem to think that because the majority agrees with them, their racism is more legitamised and accepted, which is obviously not the case.

We've got lone women getting pushed over in the street by a group of racist thugs. We've got people being beaten up. People being told to eff off home.

If it wasn't all so tragic, I'd find this story amusing because of the sheer lack of common sense. Beard = Terrorist!

This is England '16.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:50 am

It is horrible. Trump has the same effect here. Racists were emboldened by our elected officials after Obama took office and it is getting worse by the day.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:32 am

That is crappy on so many levels!

By the way, I love the pic of the fellow with the beard and all the little parasols stuck in his hair and beard!

8ball

Post   » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:24 am

This morning I saw photos of a fire that had happened on a Polish family's property in the south west, and a note they'd received telling them to go back to Poland or their family would be next.

It's scary and sickening.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:41 am

That is terrible. It is so painful to see hatred being brought to the fore and acted upon.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:59 am

Jessie -- the guy has blue eyes. Have you ever seen a Muslim with blue eyes (other than perhaps a convert)?

Hate crimes are stupid enough as is, but whoever's yelling at him is obviously even less observant than most of their ilk. That takes stupid to the next level.

Questions for today -- 1. Do the largest labor unions support Corbyn, and therefore want to see him remain as Labour leader?

2. What exactly does a Home Secretary ... do? I have this vague impression of someone who acts almost as a domestic chief of staff, whose portfolio covers a wide range of domestic programs, concerns and charges. Is that even close to correct?

3. Have Poles (or Romanians or Lithuanians or anyone else) actually taken many skilled jobs from British people at lower wages? Or are many of the hating harassers simply taking frustrations out on anyone convenient?

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:45 pm

Ah, I know a little about wor Teresa May and what she does.

She is responsible for the government spending on police, prison services, and things like that. I'm not sure if she has something to do with the justice system too. I remember long ago she said she wanted tougher tariffs for killers, depending on the victim of the crime. Kill a Joe Public and get 15 years (a life sentence, it's pitiful). Kill a member of the police force and get an actual life sentence. I don't think she got very far with that one.

Her husband is rumoured to be linked with G4S, the big security company that runs prisons and messed up the security contract for the olympics.

RE Polish immigrants. The town I used to live in has a massive chip board factory. They make pallets, flooring, and other woodchip products. They have been around for years. 10 years ago when I was working the pubs we had a few Polish guys living in town and working at the factory, sending money home to their families. The jobs pay a bit more than minimum wage, but are unskilled and with the right attitude, anyone can work there for their whole lives.

The Poles haven't come over and stolen the jobs from anyone. They've come over, competed, showed a work ethic, got a job and keep the jobs. The unemployed and unskilled who are claiming the jobs are stolen, well...you'll be lucky if any of them left school with qualifications.

I mean really. Would you rather employ a Pole who has travelled out of his country to find work? Or, would you rather employ someone who can't read, has no basic numeracy skills, no people skills, no work ethic, and thinks eveything should be handed to them on a plate?

I am obviously making generalisations. I have been unemployed and competing for work. It's a competition, and that is what so many people don't understand. They're not getting their jobs stolen, they are losing opportunities because of a bad attitude.

And Corbyn. He's just released his plan for a post Brexit britain, and by all acounts it's pretty good. I think he has what it takes. I like that he thinks before he speaks and acts. He's the kind of leader we need.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:05 pm

Obama thinks before he speaks too. So much better to give an issue some study before just blurting out anything.

My husband has driven off to Walkeristan to visit family for a week+. Interestingly, I found out one of his nephews and wife converted to Islam a while back.

8ball

Post   » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:07 pm

The unions support Corbyn. The regional labour councils support him and the Labour party membership (where regular folk pay a monthly fee to the party and get to vote on who is party leader) has increased by about 100,000 in the last two weeks, many of whom joined to support him. He IS electable.

Sadly a lot of Eastern European workers in the UK have been exploited. Google Sports Direct as an example. Their owner was in parliament a few weeks ago to answer for it.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:28 pm

Make of this what you will, but stereotyping people from the middle east as dark skinned and brown-eyed isn't accurate: But you don't look Afghan.

Making decisions about someone's faith, nationality or worth based on their skin color or eye color is not enlightened.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:40 pm

Thank you for the information, experiences and perspectives. I am learning a tremendous amount, and appreciate it!

Okay -- so 1) how long are you required to stay in school in Britain? Is it a certain age (as it is in the US), or a certain level?

And what are your GCSEs?

While I'd like to say it's impossible to leave US high school unable to read or do even basic maths, it's entirely possible. :-/

And I think I now begin to see why Gove got moved, too.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:56 pm

Snowflakey -- that article is fascinating. I knew many Afghans didn't fit the stereotype, but didn't know that many others from other Middle Eastern and northern African nations don't either.

Nevertheless, I would assume that someone hostile enough to hassle someone over a beard wouldn't either. They're hassling based upon a stereotype without knowing anything about the person, anyway.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:53 pm

Another problem with labeling people hispanic is that there are many south americans with european heritage.

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:40 pm

I like to label people as people. Nice people and not so nice people. The world is filled with both, of every race, colour and creed.

Talishan, we have to stay in school until the summer that we are 16. School years are grouped September to August. So someone who is 16 in september will leave school at the same time as someone who is 16 the following august.

GCSE - General certificate of secondary education. We have a mix of mainly 2 tier school systems and some 3 tier. The qualifications are named after the 2 tier (pirmary education and secondary education).

Unfortunately, it is all too possible for kids to leave school before they sit any qualifications. I used to volunteer with Prince's Trust, running the 16-24yr old volunteers skill programme. We had so many inner city "bad lads" who were in special education and were following an alternate route to GCSEs. Something that was more attainable and achievable for them. Many were lads with ADHD and behavioural issues. They didn't have great home lives. I'd put money on the majority being neglected and/or abused either violently or mentally. They were kids who had been let down by the system (and who gained opportunities through funding from Europe).

Going back to my earlier rants, Europe has been funding free qualifications and skills training for adults who were let down by the system as kids. Taking the unemployable and doing everything possible to make them employable. These training schemes, which have to be attended otherwise money can be sanctioned, have been paid for by Europe. If you're on unemployment benefit for x amount of months, you are forced to attend a training course.

What happens now the funding is gone? How do people learn to compete for jobs? It's a vicious circle.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:43 pm

So many kids are let down by the system. If their families aren't wealthy enough to find special opportunities for them, there are too many ways the fall through the cracks and get into bad situations. Learning disabilities and home violence are particularly common. :-(

154 posts