Global Warming

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:45 pm

Pretty hard to ignore now, though the Republican party has done all it can to do so. It's happening now.

Fabulous short interview of lawyer for oil company by Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

Nathan Thurm interviewed by Robert F Kennedy Jr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWomk2yt-C8

This is tragically priceless.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:04 am

On a more serious note, things are MUCH MUCH WORSE THAN BELIEVED.

In a massive new study published Wednesday in the influential journal Nature ( http://nature.com/articles/doi:10.1038/nature20150 ), no less than 50 authors from around the world document a so-called climate system “feedback” that, they say, could make global warming considerably worse over the coming decades.

That feedback involves the planet’s soils, which are a massive repository of carbon due to the plants and roots that have grown and died in them, in many cases over vast time periods (plants pull in carbon from the air through photosynthesis and use it to fuel their growth). It has long been feared that as warming increases, the microorganisms living in these soils would respond by very naturally upping their rate of respiration, a process that in turn releases carbon dioxide or methane, leading greenhouse gases.

It’s this concern that the new study validates.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/12/7/1608385/-The-Earth ... uman-Species

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:02 pm

Really scary. And really, all because of corporate greed.

woodsdeepin

Post   » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:54 pm

https://xkcd.com/1732/

(Sorry if it's not a direct link...you can copy and paste...it takes me to a different screen when I click the reply button so I'm not sure if this is the right way to reply...it's been awhile since I've been on here...)

But the link above is an excellent visual history for the Earth's temperatures and where we are headed. Very useful for sending to people who try to deny climate change. Also yes, very scary--especially with the upcoming regime change.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:26 am

My husband showed me that. It is a super representation! There should be a printable version we can carry around with us!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:48 pm

Very effective graphic and funny too. I saw it a while back somewhere. The end is dramatic.

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:52 pm

A lady came in to purchase some raw honey that is produced by the honeybees on the farm where I work and was very vocal about the crucial role bees play in our food production and how important it is to protect them in face of all the dangers they face from Round Up, etc.
Since I share the same concerns about bee health/survival, I broached concern about the incoming EPA head, an avowed climate change denier.
All of a sudden, her tone became hostile and she said, "I think he is a fantastic choice!" and went on to denounce the current EPA leadership.

How is it possible that someone who professes concern for bees and their importance in agriculture, at the same time, think that climate change is NOT a factor in bee survival?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:43 am

I am betting if you went down a list of the changes that may happen under this antagonistic, incompetent person, she might give pause. These regulations are there for our protection and the protection of the environment.

So many of these appointees are so wrong for the job in so many ways.

I believe there are too many unthinking people who are unwilling to learn what they need to know to make informed decisions. I don't understand her beliefs either.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:58 pm

The Arctic's oldest ice is vanishing

Check out the animation.

This animation tracks the relative amount of ice of different ages from 1990 through early November 2016. Seasonal ice is darkest blue. Ice that is 9 or more years old is white.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/videos/old-ice-arctic-vanishingly-rare

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:46 pm

I wish everyone accepted scientific analysis based on factual data :-(

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:58 pm

I remember filling out a survey for one of my senators. For me the most important issue is climate change. It is happening, it is happening now, and the republicons are going to make sure nothing gets done. Don't talk about it, problem solved. He believes there has never been an organization in human history that is dedicated, with such commitment, to the destruction of organized human life on Earth as the republicon party. They are 100 percent committed to racing towards disaster.

A great interview of Norm Chopsky put out today. He describes the republicons as the most dangerous group in human history.
http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/4/26/1656465/-Chomsky-d ... uman-history
[edit - forgot to finish a sentence - Lynx]

GPIG

Post   » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:42 pm

Bees and frogs. Both incredibly sensitive to climate changes. I have noticed both..... not noticed both like I used to as a kid. I walk the same places in woods I did when I was a kid, I actually live there now, inside the boundaries of a federal wildlife refuge. They aren't there anymore. If they would be anywhere, you would think they would be in a protected area.

When I was young, I would crawl on my stomach for hours to get close enough to hide and watch without being seen The Great Blue Herons fish in one of the largest GBH rookeries in the world. They are still there but in no where near the same numbers - also a protected area, the difference being much less water. I would trap muskrat (humanely, let them go) I would see fisher cats, some beaver, the occasional pair of river otter - I would stay all day and night when I found them, silently enjoying them like no other animal. None now.

GPIG

Post   » Mon May 01, 2017 12:11 am

My point being, I don't recognize the opinions made from a boardroom by assholes who believe there isn't climate change. I see the results, I can show them if they like.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon May 01, 2017 1:01 pm

You are probably a better observer of wildlife than I am. Though I am happy to observe it in my little world. With the recent spring rains, we have tree frogs, bull frogs, and toads singing frequently. I would miss frogs terribly (haven't seen leopard frogs in a few years).

GPIG

Post   » Mon May 01, 2017 11:41 pm

Observing wildlife being wildlife is such a joy isn't it? I love frogs too. Better, worse, not important., enjoying it is what's important. I can watch ants building for hours, no exaggeration. Wildlife is and has always been life itself to me.

It was in the White Mountains one winter day in 2001 where wildlife taught me I had been wrong about everything. I had been alone mostly, for over 2 months, up and out before dawn each day. I stopped one mooring as the most beautiful sunrise came up over the mountains and allowed myself several minutes to take in the beauty of the place which I had not done prior. I could not afford that luxury but on this day I was overcome and for a few minutes the danger was not important to me, the beauty was. I watched an eagle soaring and thought to myself, for the first time, why are we doing this, making plans for war each day when such beauty is everywhere.

15 posts • Page 1 of 1