Election Results!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:33 pm

For those of you on Facebook, there's a locator page for Pantsuit Nation group. If you join that group you can then see the ones that are near you.

We need all the responsible voices we can get in the days ahead.

bats

Post   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:55 pm

THIS is the a-hole you voted for, GPIG:

Trump wants Alt-Right leader Bannon as White House chief of staff

>The Alt Right, sometimes referred to as hipster white supremacists, is basically the latest iteration of neo-Nazis for the new millennium (or new millennials). They’re a loose political movement, based online and spanning the globe, composed most of young white men who openly embrace racism, anti-semitism and homophobia. Many Alt Right members claim their movement is simply a joke — a blow against “political correctness — but they’re attacks on Jews, people of color, women and the LGBT community are all too real.

Members of the Alt Right, for example, stalk Jews, people of color, women and members of the LGBT community on Twitter. They send Jews, for instance, photoshopped pictures of themselves burning in the ovens at Auschwitz — as part of a movement to ethnically cleanse the Internet.

Go ahead and defend him. I could never.

couchon

Post   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:27 pm

I am neither a Democrat nor a Republican. I am not a Trump supporter nor a huge Hillary fan (although if it were close in my state, I probably would have actually voted for her), so I have no political stake in what I am about to say, but I feel the reactions to the election have gone too far. I understand people being upset and mourning. However, attacking the other side (not the candidate, but the people who voted) and putting them down, is not OK. Discussion and varying opinions are both good things. GPIG seems to have had reasons for voting for Trump that don't have to do with any sort of hate. GPIG doesn't deserve to be put down and nor do other people, unless they themselves are being racist or sexist. And frankly, putting down Trump's wife is not OK either. She barely even campaigned for him, and she IS a separate person from her husband.

I have a huge issue with the amount of animosity that exists among people of different political affiliations - the if-you-are-not-with-us-you-are-against-us attitude. I have concerns about Trump presidency too, but that's not an excuse to bully those who voted for him or to make them uncomfortable to speak out.

Over and out.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:32 pm

Trump is a package (not including his wife - meaning all the things he does/says/will do etc.). You cannot ignore the despicable parts.

Bats, my husband mentioned this and I thought he was kidding.

This is deplorable.

couchon

Post   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:35 pm

I understand that point of view (and tend to lean to it actually), but I also understand some people don't see it that way. And those people are not horrible or worthy of hate. That's what I believe.

GPIG

Post   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:37 pm

Where did I say it's ok for Trump to grope women? The circumstance was different but to me the abuse is there and just as disgusting. The girl was 20 years old and he was the President. A cigar, don’t' forget that or is that made up by us haters also?

And yes Lynx it is a terrible thing to say but I tried to be nice about it. I voiced my genuine feeling of hope for healing and empathized with the rest of you because I know it hurts you. I wasn't antagonizing nor was I gloating. I have a different opinion than the rest of you, voiced it gently, and was attacked, no?
Over 55 million other American voted the same way, so I can only assume you feel the same way towards all of them, yet you say you don't want hate. I am probably more liberal than 95 % of the people who voted for him

RavenShade I'm not misinformed, they are already building the bathrooms in my state, town, county and almost every town around me and the money to build them comes from property taxes. Hillary, as president was not going to change the woman at Target from looking however she looks at your friend.

Meganmarie, you can understand how I feel I'm being attacked but I'm wrong to respond in kind? Really not making sense. Read my first post and then what was written after it.

I'm not defending Trump Bats, I agree he's an asshole but he's the president now and I wrote I hope he meant what he said at his election night speech about healing and working together. It's my opinion he's just a different type asshole than Hillary and that he may be slightly less dangerous than her, I hope he is. In 100 other elections Trump would be my last choice, but not against Hillary. I don't like her but it seems I can’t say that, and to have that opinion brings out hate towards me as if this election were my fault.

I'm sorry of this offends but I see hypocrisy. You all wish for tolerance but when someone disagrees with you the response speaks for itself.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:00 pm

I've voted independent, Republican and Democrat over the years. Climate change, social issues etc have brought me solidly over to democrat side now. This time I voted for Hillary in the primary and presidential election. I couldn't understand what drove people to vote for Trump.

J. D.Vance wrote a book called Hillbilly Ellegy. He talked about it in several of the political shows so I bought and read it. It's about growing up in Appalachia and the Rust Belt, and the struggles many people are facing there. It gave me a perspective of how some of the US is feeling left behind, so I can see why they might look for change.

I totally disagree with their choice they made for the leader to bring them out of this, but it did make me understand their lives more.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:06 pm

I kept noticing time and again how during the election reporting, they would talk about people who had college degrees voting for Hillary at a much higher rate. And people with less education voting for Trump.

Anyone can be conned but it happens more frequently to less educated people. Trump played the big con.

meganmarie

Post   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:30 pm

I believe in being the bigger person, GPIG.

I am tired of people pointing fingers. Regardless of what did happen, he WILL be our next president. I need to be honest: I feel disgusting saying that, but it is a fact.

This election has brought out the crazies on both sides, i believe. I wish republicans would understand why we are upset: we feel our morals are in danger with him, and lets be real: Republicans need to stop calling us 'crybabys', ect, for the protests. They can't keep telling us to get over it, and keep a stiff upper lip, and telling us it'll be okay, because Trump made it very clear that people we love and hope to protect wont be protected and okay.

We are not angry essentially at the outcome(I'd like to say i'm speaking for myself and fiance, not anyone else)But we are angry at the ideals that he holds that people voted FOR, essentially. I, in my lifetime, would never vote for a candidate that is backed by the KKK, or believes some of the awful things he does say he believes in. But, people did. And that scares and horrifies me, to think that many other americans would be okay voting for someone who is backed by the KKK(I'd never be able to do it). But, again, people in america did. And that's scary to see how many people can just excuse that and still vote for him, and it just doesn't....sit right with me. Because I'd never be able to excuse that, just because it really won't effect me, ect(how ever anyone feels about it).

Also, we're angry because we're scared, and trying to protect the ones we love around us(trans, gay, ect.). I'm genuinely scared for them. I'm scared for my black friends, who already deal with so much hatred in the small town I live in.

He almost is the epitome of everything that we fear, as, what i consider, just human rights.

That's why I feel that way. Would you be willing to say some reasons you did vote for Trump? For understanding? Clarification? A good dialog?

meganmarie

Post   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:35 pm

Actually, did anybody see this change.org petition for the electoral college to make Hillary Clinton President on December 19th?

https://www.change.org/p/electoral-college-electors-electora ... ition-no_msg

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:37 pm

I saw it.

But as horrified as I am by the idea of Trump as president, any attempt to unseat him via electors changing their minds will result in civil war. I hope this doesn't go anywhere.

meganmarie

Post   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:59 pm

hm. Haven't thought about it that way. I think you're right.

GPIG

Post   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:21 pm

"I wish republicans would understand why we are upset" I'm not a Republican, but as someone who did vote for Trump and for the third time now, that is precisely what I said, "that I know you are hurting and feel bad." I was told, "I can keep my sympathy"

I have always felt one of the greatest things about our country is the seamless and nonviolent transfer of the presidency that has happened 44 times and is even celebrated. No matter how strongly I disagree with some of the candidates that have been elected in my life, on that day, I am proud to live in America. People may not feel as strongly as I do about it but for anyone to suggest a free election be overturned suggest dangerous thinking, however well-educated those people may be. I assume they have college degrees?

That only the uneducated voted for Trump is an elitist way of thinking and a demographic lacking accuracy. What about all the poor people living in poverty who aren't being helped and who lack benefit of early education or the money for secondary education. They were voting for Trump?

This election has left right ideology turned inside out. Just one of the reasons the two party system is killing us, a point I tried to make a year ago but was also shooed down because either Hillary or Bernie were a lock at the time - what we have today is a result of that system.

Meganmarie, I've been over why I couldn't vote for Hillary dozens of time already nod I've already told you why I voted for Trump. I don't wish to get into any more ongoing arguments about it. From my perspective I am the only person in this site who doesn’t think like the rest of you and as I said before when I tried to gently discuss, and add my opinion/perspective I was attacked. By the way, my response that was taken so offensive was mostly in response to Raven Shades' vitriolic post.

If you it will help you, my priority for voting a president and which will always be my number one priority; which candidate is less likely to get us into a war we shouldn’t be in. Hillary has stated she would call for and enforce a no fly zone over Syria. Shoot down Russian planes and we will be in a war. It is also known she leans towards a war with Iran. Again, that means Russia and even if it only include Iran, it means dead American kids; one of which could be my kid, (as long as she’s alive I can look her in the eye and at least try explain my vote regardless of the groping charge, if she’s dead I don’t have the opportunity) as well as dead Iranian citizens.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:22 pm

From Business Insider,Nov. 7, 2016:
(emphasis added - * - is mine)

Political scientists lay out 9 ways Donald Trump is **endangering American democracy**

The unprecedented nature of Donald Trump's campaign has political scientists abandoning their commitment to remain nonpartisan.

Political scientists normally remain objective, but a group of **hundreds of political professors from some of the top universities in the country have signed a letter warning that the Republican presidential candidate has shown reckless disregard for Democracy in America**.

They acknowledge that it is their duty to remain impartial for the benefit of Democracy, but they felt compelled to voice their opinions about this election because they are "deeply concerned about the prospect of a Trump presidency."

"Throughout the course of the U.S. presidential campaign, **Trump has repeatedly questioned and attacked the core institutions and norms that make democracy work. Such attacks by a major presidential candidate are unprecedented in American history but they are entirely familiar to those of us who study other parts of the world**," the letter said.

The letter goes on to outline several of Trump's controversial statements on the campaign trail as evidence that he has endangered the political fabric which our country operates on.

Here are the 9 ways political scientists are saying Donald Trump is jeopardizing American democracy:
View As: One Page Slides

Read on:

http://www.businessinsider.com/political-scientists-lay-out- ... racy-2016-11

This is not the first place I've read that our democracy may be in danger.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:32 pm

Hundreds of economists call Trump 'unique danger' to democracy 11/01/16:

More than 300 economists called Donald Trump “a dangerous, destructive choice for the country” who “poses a unique danger” to democracy in a letter released Tuesday.

Read more - short:

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/303853-hundreds-of-economi ... to-democracy

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:45 pm

And what's this about:

A woman who is suing Donald Trump for allegedly raping her as a child abandoned a plan to speak publicly on Wednesday, citing death threats.

From The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/02/donald-trump ... public-event

Guess we'll have to wait & see.

I can't help but see parallels to Hitler's takeover of Germany in 1933. And then there's the question of how involved Russia was in this election.
Last edited by Bookfan on Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:53 pm

His lawyers threatened to absolutely destroy her if she didn't drop the suit. She didn't have enough resources to fight him. But I think she'd have been surprised by the amount of legal support she'd have gotten if she'd stuck with it.

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:02 am

One of the first things he said he wants to do is repeal the Iran deal.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:13 am

From Science Based Medicine dot Org:

Scientists in the U.S. and from around the world are weighing in on Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the most powerful country on earth:

Trump will be the first anti-science president we have ever had . . . The consequences are going to be very, very severe.

Jennifer Zeitzer, director of legislative Relations at the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology in Bethesda, Maryland.

I do breast cancer research for my PhD . . . Scared not only for my future but for the future of research and next years @NIH budget.

Prof Jean-Pierre Gattuso, professor of biological oceanography at the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Sorbonne University and the Institute for Sustainable Development and International Relations.

To quote James Hansen, I fear this may be game over for the climate.

Trump has called climate change a “hoax” and a “money-making industry,” although he does believe “there’s weather.” He has used scare quotes around the term “climate change.” He has said he would dismantle the Environmental Protection Agency, and “cancel’ the Paris Agreement on climate change, a move that drew an open rebuke from several hundred top scientists. He vowed to repeal key EPA regulations, including those on ozone pollution, the Clean Power Plan, and part of the Renewable Fuel Standard Program.

According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, Trump does not have a position on funding for Zika or on public health preparedness. In 2014, he tweeted that the U.S. should immediately stop all flights from Ebola-infected countries “or the plague will start and spread” in this country. In fact, medical experts said that suspending flights would hamper relief efforts and make controlling and monitoring the flow of people to and from infected regions more difficult.

Scientific American reports that, while Trump has offered few details on biomedical research policies, he said last year that he heard “terrible” things about the NIH.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:57 am

NMP - not my president.

I'm going to be using those three letters frequently.

You bought it, GPIG. Here is just the beginning of the direction we are going in.

No ACA. No Consumer Protection Agency - which has done loads of good for US since its inception). Repeal of Obama's executive orders (example, increasing minimum wage for government contracted companies). Tear apart the EPA. Think we're going to have an open internet? Think again! Any chance we will do anything to mitigate climate change? We are lost.

And racism. Boatloads of racism. Besides the unconscionable Breitbart, one of his transition team members is Kris Kobach, Mr. "Papers Please" who was behind one of the most racist laws in the country. So if you have brown skin or an accent, police had a right to stop you, detain you and demand you prove your citizenship. DK article.

The last time Republicans had this kind of control, they wrecked things so badly we ended up with the stock market crash of 1929.

"On October 29, 1929, Black Tuesday hit Wall Street as investors traded some 16 million shares on the New York Stock Exchange in a single day. Billions of dollars were lost, wiping out thousands of investors. In the aftermath of Black Tuesday, America and the rest of the industrialized world spiraled downward into the Great Depression (1929-39), the deepest and longest-lasting economic downturn in the history of the Western industrialized world up to that time."

174 posts