Breathing difficulties

Post   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:45 am

My poor Luke is having some medical issues. Last monday he seemed to be breathing a bit heavier than normal and was being lethargic. That lasted for about an hour and then he looked like nothing happened! It was bizzare. Two days later he started those symptoms again and he had lost weight from monday so I called the vet to get him in ASAP. During that time he ate all of his veggies like normal, but I noticed a definate decrease in his appitite for hay and pellets.

During the vet visit (which was yesterday) the vet took x-rays and it looks like something is making airflow difficult in his lungs. She suspects some sort of bacterial infection so she gave me some doxy and baytril to be given twice a day. She also gave me some probiotic to help if the antibiotic messes with his gut. Which, it has unfortunately. He barely pooped last night and what he did poop was diarreah. I've called the vet and she wants me to discontinue all antibiotics and bring him in on monday for re-assesment. I'm going to pick up some critical care later this morning to help keep his weight and nutrients up.

He just isn't himself. He is nearly 6 1/2 and until now has always been my "wild child" that never stops moving, eating, or causing mischief. Now he is so lethargic and I'm so scared he isn't going to make it. It hurts so much to see how awful he feels and I can't just hug him and make him better. I want to do what is best for him. I'm willing to exhaust every resource to make him better, I'm just worried it's going to be "too much, too late."

And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:33 am

Your vet sounds like she's really on top of things -- stopping the antibiotics is the right thing to do in those circumstances. Do keep going with the probiotics, however, as it can take a few days for the gut to recover. And definitely hand-feed him if he's not eating normally.

You probably know this, but the rule of thumb is that a pig that's not eating anything else needs 100+ cc. of Critical Care or pellet slurry for every kilogram it weighs, every day, split into 6-8 feedings around the clock. Adjust up or down according to the pig's weight, and down if it's eating anything on it's own.

She may suggest this, but she could prescribe a nebulized antibiotic for him. They can take gentamycin that way, and it's a much more potent antibiotic than can be given orally.

2 posts • Page 1 of 1