Mites---Before & After w/ treatment of Ivermectin

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:07 pm

8/13/03
Itchy and Scratchy was surrendered to OC Cavy Haven.
They are two boars bought as pets from Petco. The owners obviously had little empathy for small animals. They didn't think they were suffering, Nicole (charybdis) had to point it out to them.

Itchy and Scratchy were kept in a bird cage:
These boys were only about 6 months old. Their mites were so bad that they couldnt stop scratching themselves. They scratched so much that they had bloody, oozing sores all over. They would scratch and scratch while screaming. Every few minutes, one would flip over and seize.

They were treated with Ivermectin, Torubuterol (pain killer) and Dexamethasone (steriod), which was necessary in extreme cases like this to reduce inflammation and itching.
On top of the mites, they had scurvy from malnutrition. Scratchy has a severe ear mites, resulting in a permanent head tilt.

They had to be bandaged so they would stop ripping holes in themselves:
We even bandaged their feet for extra protection:

They really really hated being all bound up. They would go nuts as soon as you put them back in their cage with the "staight jacket" on.

Improving.. slowly but surely:
8/23/03

9/8/03

After a lot of TLC and medication (ivermectin)..
They finally look like this:
10/11/03

Scratchy, unfortunately, has a head tilt that will likely never go away. He's standing on my stomach without even noticing that the whole room is sideways. His entire inner ear must be damaged.

===============================================
See: https://www.guinealynx.info/supplies.html#bandage
for appropriate bandaging.
Last edited by ChunkyPiggies on Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:10 pm

Cute little boys, I bet they are very happy that they were taken in for some TLC.

Who else thinks CP posted that last picture for Paulo?

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:14 pm

Oh geez..

jennylynn
GL Junkie

Post   » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:18 pm

I do I do!
:)

Allysse

Post   » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:21 pm

This thread should have a warning label for harsh imagery.

What a horrible situation. Brings those warm fuzzies knowing they are safe now.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:26 pm

I did have a warning but it cut off half of "graphic" so I took it out. Sorry.

And guys.. this is suppose to be a serious referencey thread. Talk about my chest elsewhere. And I think I get enough action in real life to not have to get complimented by some dude over the net... thank you very much.

This is a good example of what can happen when mites flare up. Pigs with mites NEED to get ivermectin ASAP. These pigs should never have been allowed to get that bad. The previous owners were disgusting.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:28 pm

Do you know what happened to their other pets?

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:30 pm

WEll, Nik kind of chew their faces off after they told her they were going to keep the 3 females. Last we heard, they took them to the vet who gave them an injection of ivermectin the DAY AFTER they just had topical ivermectin.

These guys were seriously straved.. it wasnt just the mite problem. Somehow, I think those 3 females are probably dead.

Kellyjo

Post   » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:31 pm

Its unbelieveable these poor pigs survived this, they look great!!

and CP better not have, hes my man! (thread man)!

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:33 pm

That's a shame. I'm glad at least these two were saved. They are very cute.

jennylynn
GL Junkie

Post   » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:33 pm

Were any charges pressed against these people? Seriously, surrender or not, they should have to face the consequences for letting these pigs get in that condition.
They look 500% better. CP, where are they now?

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:34 pm

At Charydbis'. They're on our website now as an adoptable.