Scales -- Weigh your pigs weekly!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:44 am

Weighing your pigs weekly will allow you to catch changes that can indicate they are ill. Weightloss is very serious in guinea pigs. What you are looking for is not necessaryily total accuracy but you do want it to weigh consistently so you can see changes. One or two ounces may be normal fluctuations but 3 or 4 (or more) definitely indicate something is going on. See your vet if your pig is losing weight and hand feed.

Here are a few pics of scales:

Pinta's scale:

Swannie's scale (you can buy it on Amazon at the moment)

And here's the scale Mel uses (note the bread pan on top). This scale was $25 at Target:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:45 pm

Becky writes, "The scale... was $35 from Sur la Table ... The bowl is from a cheaper, less reliable scale that I pitched." She figures you might be able to find it less expensively elsewhere.

Becky and her scale:

Last edited by Lynx on Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

bats

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:05 pm

Bats and his scale.

It's a Terraillon Kitchen Scale, available online for between $35 and $45. The scale measures in grams and pounds/ounces, and includes a Tare function to adjust for the weight of a bowl or plate.

There is a review of several scales here:
http://www.americastestkitchen.com/show_print.asp?719

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:16 am

And here's Erin's scale. She says it was $50 at Bed Bath and Beyond and that you can zero it out after you put a holding container on it (in this pic, a plate that she inherited from her grandmother). Swannie writes that this is a "tare" function, common on many scales available for sale. " Just about all digital scales and many analog ones include a tare function where you can plop a container on and re-zero the scale."

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:13 pm

Nurgle's scale. Can you tell I don't care about scales by now? I only want the pigs? (p.s. yes, I noticed this is the same as Mel's scale. I DON"T CARE. I like this pic anyway. Give me the pig)