horse lice

lisam

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2002 11:58 pm

AAAARG! Now my pigs have mites! I am reading over and over again the ivermectin page on guinealynx. I don´t know why I need you to walk me through, but I just can´t figure it out. Is the sheep stuff safe to use on the pigs? I know it says it is probably best, but is that for the pigs or the sheep? And I have never done them topically before--do I do a drop behind each ear, or down their backs?

I have yet to try the horses--one of the ponies is very sick with liver problems and the vet said I should probably wait a little.

This bottle of ivomec Drench is sitting here by the computer begging to be used.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2002 7:38 am

I´ll have to work up the dose for you with the sheep ivermectin. It will work fine. But it is a different solution (proportion of ivermectin to dilutant) so you can´t use the dosing table. Also, if you want to do it topically, it is a different rate.

Can´t do it right now. I´ll try to later. Your pigs will be kind of oily if you do it topically.

lisam

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2002 9:54 am

I could do the pigs orally with the Drench, if that is easier and safe.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2002 11:43 pm

Check this document on sheep ivermectin: http://guinealynx.info/guinealynx/NADA131-392.html

The sheep drench you describe as having .8mg/cc can be used topically or orally.

Topical:
Weigh your guinea pigs and apply behind the ears: 0.625 cc/kg
This will dose them at 0.5mg/kg (one cc contains 0.8mg ivermectin: 0.625 cc contains .5 mg ivermectin).

Oral:
Weigh your pigs and use 0.25 cc/kg
This will dose them at 0.2 mg/kg (one cc contains 0.8 mg ivermectin: 0.25 cc contains 0.2 mg ivermectin).

Reread the ivermectin page if you need to.

lisam

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2002 11:53 pm

Thank you very much. My horses and my pigs thank you, too.

25 posts