Piggy with mange and 3 one week old babies

sharon

Post   » Sun May 26, 2002 3:35 pm

My piggie gave birth 8 days ago, but has mange. I took her to the vets and she said nothing could be done until the babies were weaned. I feel sorry for her as she is scratching like mad. What can I do or her? Also will the babies get it, as all the babies have homes to go to, but I dont want to ive people ill piggies.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun May 26, 2002 4:01 pm

Yes, the babies will get mites. I have heard different advice concerning whether or not you can treat a nursing mother -- mostly not. And the babies should be 12 ounces or so in weight before you treat them.

You can read about mange mites and ivermectin on Guinea Lynx (click button above).

I must say, I would be tempted to try to do something for her. Perhaps someone more experienced could offer their own advice.

pinta

Post   » Sun May 26, 2002 6:21 pm

I thought you could treat the mother with Ivermectin and the babies would be dosed thru her milk? Do I have it wrong?

Evangeline

Post   » Sun May 26, 2002 6:50 pm

I´ve done it with the pregnant/nursing sows with no problem. The horse paste is safe for pregnant/nursing mares, too.

I´d go ahead and have her treated. It´s not right to leave her like this.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun May 26, 2002 7:16 pm

I think the reason I waffle on the young (and yes, I´ve heard they get it through the milk -- but is that good, or not?) is because I can find plenty of info saying it´s safe on pregnant animals but no info for using it on the very young.

On a positive note, they don´t have a warning against using it on calves or baby pigs on the handout that comes with the Ivomec injection -- but they only mention cattle, pregnant and older animals, so the very young are ignored.

If it were my animal, I would probably treat it, but I don´t feel like giving unqualified advice to others to do the same.

pinta

Post   » Sun May 26, 2002 7:20 pm

and yes, I´ve heard they get it through the milk -- but is that good, or not?

If the mother has mites so do the babies so it is good. The drug would be diluted but still offer protection.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun May 26, 2002 7:30 pm

The risks to the young are supposedly (I am guessing) that their brains aren´t as well developed (and the blood-brain barrier) so they are at higher risk of an adverse reaction. Of course you would think if you can give it to a pregnant animal, it should be okay in the milk.

pinta

Post   » Sun May 26, 2002 7:35 pm

It´s probably so diluted in the mother´s milk that high doses are impossible to achieve. Do babies get pie-eyed when the mom drinks Guinness? (Of course you´d never be able to tell if they were falling down drunk.)

lisam

Post   » Sun May 26, 2002 7:59 pm

I know that in horses we worm the mare with ivermectin the day she foals.

9 posts • Page 1 of 1