Leg Amputation

Amputations · Broken Bones · Skeletal X-rays
Lynx

Post   » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:18 pm

Siouxsie writes:

Hershey is an American Himalayan male. He broke his right hind leg at approximately 3 months of age. He was taken to the vet and had an x-ray. The leg was broken at the hip. The vet suggested pinning the leg. We agreed. Scheduled surgery for next available time which was 4 days away [surgery on 5/29/09]. We were sent home with Metacam and instructions to keep as immobile as possible.

For the surgery, we decided to amputate due to the possible complications of healing and arthritis in the future. The vet said that once he got in to do the surgery the break was a lot worse than expected and that pinning would not have been an option. Hershey stayed overnight at the vet's office. We picked him up the next morning and were given Bactrim, Benebac, and Metacam to administer for the next week and instructions to keep him immobile as much as possible. After 1 week the stitches were taken out. After 2 weeks the stitch site was completely healed with nice pink skin. Now at 9 months of age, Hershey is as mobile and fast as any other pig in the herd. His hair has grown back beautifully. He can even lean up on the cage (on 1 leg!) to beg for veggies!

Post Surgery Photos

Day 1:

Day 1:

Day 3:

A photo of the healed surgical site:

Click on xray pictures below for larger images:

Original surgery on: 5/29/09
Update over 10 months later: 4/10/2010

Siouxsie writes:

He is doing great. Although he needs me to clean off his eye on that side or it will get crusty, the vet said that he just can't get up on his back legs to properly clean it off. Not sure why the other side is fine, I guess it's all about balance... Hersh does not like me messing with his eyes! Other than that he is moving around wonderfully and it doesn't phase him, he can even jump in and out of a hay box.

Post Reply 1 post • Page 1 of 1