http://pennyroyalvet.com
    Dr. Sonia Lacki
    Dr. Virginia Garrison
    Dr. Bianca Zaffarano
    Dr. Jennifer Walker
    247 Regency Circle
    Lexington, KY 40503

Phone: (859) 277-4315

Dr. Zaffarano and Dr. Walker (who owns 2 pigs herself) are highly knowledgeable about guinea pigs. So far, they do what is recommended here on Guinea Lynx. Had I taken my sweetheart, Romeo, to them sooner, he would still be alive. They are incredibly kind and compassionate and truly love guinea pigs and questions and concerns are not a bother to them. They cried with me at the loss of Romeo.

UPDATE: Dr. Walker and Dr. Zaffarano are no longer with Pennyroyal. Dr. Walker can be found in Austin, TX and Dr. Zaffarano and all of her expertise have been called to Iowa where she is now heading an exotics education program at her alma mater. Though I miss both of them, Dr. Sonia Lacki is still with Pennyroyal and is an extremely compassionate veterinarian who worked with both Dr. Zaffarano and Dr. Walker. Dr. Virginia Garrison has also joined the Pennyroyal team and has seen George and seems very knowledgeable about guinea pigs as well.
    Contributed by: Shanna - August 9, 2009, 5:22 pm
    Website verified: March 12, 2016
Louisville
  • BluePearl Specialty + Emergency Pet Hospital
    (formerly Louisville Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Services)
    BluePearl Vet Louisville Location
    Dr. Missy Jewell
    13160 Magisterial Drive
    Louisville, KY 40223

Phone: (502) 244-3036

Wonderful vet who is affectionate towards guinea pigs and goes above and beyond call of duty to find solutions to any situation. Entire staff is friendly and helpful. It is a 24 hour clinic and Dr. Jewell came to that clinic to expand their 24 emergency services to take care of guinea pigs and other exotics. She has a real passion for clinics being well versed in the care of exotics.
    Recommended by MaryK 10/30/2007
    Website verified and updated: March 12, 2016; however, Dr. Missy Jewell seems to be working at All Pets Vet Center now (see listing below).
  • All Pets Vet Center
    http://allpetsvetcenter.com
    Facebook page
    Dr. Missy Jewell
    1219 Dorsey Lane
    Louisville, KY 40233

Phone: (502) 384-0551
Mayfield
  • Mayfield Veterinary Clinic, P.S.C.
    http://www.mayfieldvetclinic.com
    Dr. Ray, DVM
    501 W. James St
    Mayfield, KY 42066

Phone: (270) 247-2915

30 minute drive from Murray, KY
    30 minute drive from Paducah, KY
    1 hr drive from Metropolis, IL
    2 hr drive from Clarksville, TN
    3 hr drive from Nashville, TN

Diagnosed my girls with mites when they had been mis-diagnosed previously with lice. Treated them with oral ivermectin. Knows the evils of cedar and pine bedding, recommends Advantage for flea/lice problems, and encourages weekly weighings. Reluctant to spay or neuter unless health problems like ovarian cysts crop up, but he can and will do it. Office visits are $15 before medicine and lab costs.
    Contributed by: Kelida 5/28/2005, 1:50 pm
Morehead
  • Eagles Landing Pet Hospital
    Facebook page
    MySpace page
    Dr. Connie Below Spencer
    330 W. 1st Street
    Morehead, KY 40351

Phone: (606) 780-0208
    • When I suspected Chloe had mites, Dr. Spencer and her team knew what the problem was immediately. She is very knowledgeable about exotics and has a 100% success rate with guinea pig surgeries, but told me if she doesn't feel like she can successfully perform a surgery that she will help you get in touch with Dr. Zaffarano in Lexington.
      Contributed by: Laura - 4/3/09
    • I would like to second Laura's recommendation for Dr. Connie Below Spencer. She is very knowledgeable, willing to consult with others if necessary and incredibly compassionate and caring. She is our primary veterinarian now. Her facebook page is: Facebook page
      Contributed by: Shanna - 1/25/13
    Facebook page verified: March 12, 2016
NEAR KENTUCKY

Nashville, TN
  • West Meade Animal Clinic
    Facebook page
    Dr. Micheal Lutz, DVM
    990 Davidson Drive
    Nashville, TN 37205

Phone: (615) 356-1152

1 hr drive from Clarksville, TN
    2 hr drive from Paducah, KY
    2 hr drive from Bowling Green, KY

I am VERY skeptical about Dr. Lutz's treatment for guinea pigs. He misdiagnosed mites as lice and told me to use flea powder on them for treatment, waving aside my arguments for Advantage and/or Ivermectin.

However, he is willing to spay/neuter, and has done a very successful spay on my mother's sow, JoJo. I am going to take my boar, Fieval, to him for a neuter. Spays/neuters are the only thing I will recommend Dr. Lutz for. Spay: $125. Neuter: $105.
    Contributed by: Kelida 5/28/2005, 1:50 pm
    Facebook page verified: March 12, 2016

Post Reply 1 post • Page 1 of 1