I will take in Piggies

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:21 pm

Ok, I posted my "ideal rescue" thread. Comments are welcome.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:21 pm

I like it. Just put an "n" in the title.

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:40 pm

Argh! Now it's too late. Lynx?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:42 pm

I can fix that. (Oh, and I like it too).

I'm not going to clutter up that thread, but there are many reasons why people get into rescue and many, many strange people out there (think "aliens"). I believe sometimes people get in over their heads and there can be alot of burnout and sometimes even disgust with the public. Subcategories to your three main categories would include all manner of people, with their own agendas and quirks. Not to mention arguments over what constitutes good care from one person to another.

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:54 pm

Thanks for fixing the error.

Of course, I agree--all of those critera are relative. It was a good suggestion to list them as qualities of an "ideal" rescue. I'm quite sure that all of us rescuers here would fall short on at least one of the requirements.

Burnout is a definite factor. What potential adopter could tell the difference between a good rescue gone bad and a bad rescue? I've seen both, and they look a lot alike. But it's probably in the best interest of potential pet owners to adopt from neither, especially if the health of the cavies is in question.

pinta

Post   » Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:52 pm

I don't think she claimed to be a rescue She just wants pigs as pets, along with rabbits etc.

Someone must be paying rent or mortgage. Even if she is emancipated, housing isn't free. If the state is paying for it, she is still beholden to someone else and not in total control of her environment.

Who the hell knows? Most minors who manage to get emancipated can actually spell the word. They have to demonstrate maturity and the ability to be reasonably self-sufficient. An emancipated 17-year old who refers to her mother as "mommy" seems off.

bats

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:22 am

I hate to quibble but pitbull's story has changed a bit in the past month. On March 4th on GuineaLynx, Americanpitbull13 said:
I have never breed my guinea pigs like I said she was pregnant when I got her. Also they are in seperate cages so that they do not breed because I have heard by many people that it is a very big hassle. I did mention that I would breed if I had a pair I really like, but that is far away and olny when I can totaly understand about the breeding of guinea pigs and that is also if I ever breed them any ways . I dont breed for the fact that i cant stand to part with the babys.
And on Cavy Madness on February 12th, http://pub25.ezboard.com/fcavymadness76 ... =518.topic Americanpitbull13 said:
Well I dont know if I classify as a rescue but I breed my guinea pigs ( not the rescues) and there babys will be posted on this site.

lyliecarter

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:41 am

Also on CavyMadness:
I also breed rabbits and rescue any that are homless or unwanted.
But on THIS board:
said what animals I have and I do not have any Rabbits
What happened to the rabbits?
Last edited by lyliecarter on Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:41 am

Yup. Guess I won't be going to that house. Still no sign of whoever that was. I will keep an ear out over here, though.

Pinta, I'm sure it is a requirement for them to at least be able to spell the word! I was thinking that earlier. In any case, I think we did show that there are many missing or uncredible pieces to the puzzle.

pinta

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:43 am

Hmmm - I was just going by what she said here - turns out the name was useful for recognition after all.

Posted on this site? Sounds like sh'es offering them for sale and indeed she does call herself a "lil guinea rescue".

Teresa

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:44 am

Chary: Excellent thread. Lynx you should make that one a sticky.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:46 am

Thanks. It's exasperating watching these breeder/collectors pop up all over calling themselves "rescues."