Buttercup

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri May 13, 2022 2:00 am

Do you give her a treat right after you do her ear drops? I have two pigs who get medical treatment twice a day (Mr Bubbles eye and Gilligan an abscess). They both get a baby carrot right after. As soon as I'm done and put them back in their cage, they run up to the front and wait for it. I've learned to get their carrots ready as part of my treatment preparation. It has helped prevent them from being afraid.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun May 15, 2022 2:26 pm

Yes, she’s getting either fresh grass, corn husk, or carrot before, during, and after. And I’m taking her out for lap time and a treat, just so she realizes it’s not always bad. But she knows the time of day, so 10 am and 10 pm she’s wary. Other times she’s on her hidey roof begging. Smart little stinkers.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:30 pm

Happy birthday, Muffin! One year old today! It's really nice to know their exact date of birth. Muffin is a lot more mature now. It's still a little bit of a challenge to pick her up, but she stays pretty calm when I hold her. She comes to the front of the cage to greet me and runs away, but not until giving me a nibble. It's cute how she still hides behind her mother. If I offer her food, she snatches it and runs into her tunnel to devour it. It cracks me up to see her run with her prize. She has to hold her head up to keep from dragging her treat or having the ground knock it out of her mouth. She's probably the most entertaining to watch out of all my piggies. Birthday means extra lettuce and some grass. Buttercup gets the benefit too since Muffin doesn't like to be away from her mom for very long.

Happy birthday little sweetie!

Also, Happy birthday to you, Ruffles. I'm thinking of you today and missing you. I hope the keepers of the Rainbow Bridge are giving you special attention today!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:48 pm

What a cutie! I think there is something special about knowing an actual birthday of a pet (we usually don't).

May you have many more birthdays, Muffin!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:58 pm

Look at that face! Just looking at it and I am melting. Happy birthday Muffin and Ruffles. Enjoy!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:50 am

Happy birthday! What adorable pictures!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:30 pm

2 days from Muffin's 2nd birthday and she got sick. I'm 99.9% sure that it's bloat with a possible bowel obstruction. Her belly is distended and harder than normal and there are no sounds coming from her belly. Only one small and funny shaped dropping since I discovered the problem. She was fine last night but had no interest in eating or drinking this morning. This is the same thing that happened to her sister, Ruffles. Wouldn't you know that it would happen on a Sunday when there's no vet care available. Makes me want to say a bunch of 4 letter words that you shouldn't say on a family site.

I have the metoclopramide from Sammy, but it's close to 24 months old (12/2021), which is the shelf life of that medicine.. It's in a dark brown glass bottle with a dropper in the lid, so it has been sealed, but I'm very apprehensive about giving it to her. I don't know what the results of giving expired metoclopramide are. Is it toxic or just ineffective? What do you guys think? Not sure I'm willing to risk it, so I'm doing what I know to do for her without the medication. Vibration for 10-15 minutes every hour, as much water with a small amount of dissolved pellets; just enough to turn it green, as possible and massage. I can feel a significant gurgle or two while I'm treating her, but I doubt it's enough to get her moving again. I'll be doing my best to get her through the night until I get her to the vet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:49 pm

It does sound like you are doing your best in a bad situation. Guessing the metoclopramide would be less effective (rather than dangerous). A pharmacist should be able [to answer] that question with more precision. I imagine you will get hold of a vet asap tomorrow morning (can ask about using the metoclopramide).

I hope she recovers soon.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:44 pm

I can get the vet to prescribe metoclopramide and get some fresh stuff in the morning and start it immediately. Just have to get her through the night. This is bringing back memories of Scruffy and getting up every couple of hours to feed him during his illness. Also Ruffles, who had the same thing. Things are different with Muffin because I caught it earlier and I already know what the problem is and what to do. This is a very serious condition and I will do whatever it takes to help her get through it. This also overshadows the new additions to our herd. There'll be a chronicle on them soon.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:50 pm

As you are in Summer, you could try a warm bath to help things along or warm water to drink. Hope she pulls through. A little hand massage may help too.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:43 pm

I'm already doing light massage and vibration therapy and the water I'm giving her is room temperature with just enough oxbow pellets dissolved in it to turn it green. That's not a whole lot of nutrients, but it's better than nothing. With a blockage, you have to be careful giving them a lot of food to back up further until you can get the guy moving again. With the amount of water I'm giving her, I'm hoping to make that happen for her. I'm getting at least 3-4 ml of green pellet water in her every couple of hours. I give her the water right before and after the vibration and massage therapy.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:46 am

I hope things improve overnight and you can get a vet ASAP in the morning. Good luck!