Ramblings of the checkerboard pigs!

poppycorn

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:50 pm

My love for guinea pigs began when my sister got a guinea pig, Bubbles. I was actually scared of her for a long while... I was young and I had a fear of animal 'claws'.

I remember one evening I built up my courage to pick her up and the next thing I knew I was inside begging for a guinea pig of my own. (At the time it was very much 'that's yours and I have to have my own!!'). My family and I didn't have a clue how bad pet shops were so we went along picked up two female guinea pigs, who later became companions for Bubbles.

Soon after I discovered GL, through cutemomomi's youtube videos, and I read through every single volume of her chronicles! I wanted to learn so much and I have truly become obsessed with guinea pigs!

I am extremely happy with my three, gorgeous pigs... Popcorn (2 years and a half), Bubbles (6 years and a half) and Dusty (Popcorn's sister.. also 2 and a half years!)

Here they are, munching away

serelixyue

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:53 pm

YAY, I am the first commentor:P Poppycorn!! Im SO happy you have your thread now, you're always commenting on our chronicles, it's so awesome to see YOUR story now;) Look at your gorgeous piggies, Poppycorn and Dusty sure resemble eachother...! Are they himis? Snowy would like to take the place of Bubbles in that photo:)

poppycorn

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Yay!! :D
Dusty looks more himi than Popcorn, since she has the tan skin. But I don't know for sure. I've always called them peruvian X abbys! :) But I don't know definitely :D

serelixyue

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:59 pm

is that Dusty and poppy in your display pic?

poppycorn

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:01 pm

Yep it is :) :)

I'm going to introduce Poppy (or Popcorn... hence my username: poppycorn!) and Dusty in more detail soon, once I get all the pictures uploaded :P haha!

serelixyue

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:05 pm

yes yes, I am waiting eagerly. except er...it's 4am in Hong Kong so I'll go to sleep first;) Will be checking back tomorrow!! I love them! Specially the belly pig photo on facebook;)

poppycorn

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:07 pm

Aww thank you Sere!! :'D
Sleep would be good though ;) haha!

poppycorn

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:43 pm

The day I got Popcorn and Dusty was so special. We sat in the garden holding a more youthful Bubbles and my mum got a call. It was our local petshop calling to tell us they had a new litter in and two of them were girls!

I am in no way advertising that you should get a pig from a pet shop, we just weren't educated then.

Anyway, I thought I'd introduce my pigs to you. First of all I'll talk about Popcorn; who, by 'this is mine and that's yours' is mine. My sister 'owns' Dusty, but I class her as my own since I care for her.

So, Popcorn. When I held her in the shop she was 5 weeks old. She was so little and like a little ball of soft fluff.

Here's my little girl the day we got her: Wednesday 18th June 2008

She was so shy and so cute. She had such big ears and a cute pink nose. My mum was quite suprised to see that she had black front paws. She grew so fast! A month later her little bum sat snuggly in my hand.

As for naming Popcorn... that took a while. She was Tinkerbelle, Bronte, Winnie, Dutches... the list is endless! I finally decided on Popcorn because she was like a fluffy piece of popcorn and was more or less quiet as a baby whilst not being held but as soon as you picked her up she panicked! I also thought Poppy was such a sweet name ^^'

As time went by she began to get used to me holding her and got more confident and happy having fun in the run!

... her coat also decided to grow too!

Soon she became 1 years old and was causing fun and havoc with her sister. Here she is on her first birthday fighting over a dandelion leaf!

...and that 1 years old became 2 years old!

To this day Poppy is timid, but she is bold too. She will do anything for her sisters and will show her appreciation by telling you. By jove has this pig got a pair of lungs on her!

I leave you with that tonight ;) I hope you will enjoy reading the stories of my funny little pigs :D

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:00 pm

Oh my! Poppycorn, your piggies are indeed gorgeous. Poppycorn, Dusty and Bubbles, what lovely names and so well matched to them! It is obvious how much you love them and how much joy they bring to you - and all of us now through The Chronicles :)

poppycorn

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:09 pm

Hi Mildred! I think it's very kind of you to say that, so many thankies, but I think you should also be telling our hooman here to give us more veggies. I think they all vanish when they're put in the bowl. Lots of love, Dusty x

Thank Mildred :D What Dusty doesn't realise is that she eats the food so fast that it feels like, to her, that it vanishes ;)

maggiemae

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:02 pm

I <3 Popcorn with a passion. All her little fluffy waves of fur! :)

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:11 pm

I LOVE the little piggie with the perfect eyeliner. She's certainly a girl. ;)

Love the stories and I can't wait for more!