My Antithesis

ilumiari

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:49 am

About a fortnight ago, my well-laid plans to concentrate on my thesis this year were thrown into arrears when I saw an ad for a pair of two month old Himi babies in my work's trading list.

The owners had originally purchased them from a breeder when they were a month old, but soon realised that their two year old son was too young to play with them gently. They were in a tiny pet store cage and hadn't been given any hay ("We heard they like it, but couldn't find any" - they lived less than 2 minutes walk from a non-animal selling petstore that sold some!), I don't think the cage had been cleaned once since they got the little dears. I almost needed a paint scraper to scrape off some of the pooploaf they were living on.

I've always wanted Himis, so I was instantly smitten with them. It took me about a week to name them. Maybe I rushed it, I still have trouble telling Sooty apart from Smudge!

Since they were an "impulse buy", it took me about 24 hours to get them out of the petstore cage into a hastily erected 2x4 C&C (I drove about 20 minutes on my own to pick up the Corflute - it was the first time I've plucked up the courage to drive anywhere other than the local shops on my own!) and to throw together some snuggly toys.
(This was the first time I caught one using the cuddle cup! I was so happy!)

I've discovered that they love corn husks, something I'd never thought to feed piggies before. They also go wild over lettuce. I'm not having much luck convincing them to eat their oxbow pellets, unfortunately. I've been mixing tiny amounts in with the mix they were on before, but they won't touch them.

It's amazing how much two little fuzzballs cost, isn't it? I reckon I've spent $300 on these guys in a fortnight, and I've not even taken them to see the vet yet! (Going to the vet means driving on the freeway - I am still psyching myself up to that.)

I've yet to tell my supervisor about my little poopie machines, something tells me he's better off not knowing. Oh well, he did say that material flow would be the only thing I care about this year!

And I thought I had a drinking problem!

Coming soon - Sooty and Smudge's first floor time

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:01 am

I can't view photo's on my computer at work, so I'll be back later to view the cutest.

I just wanted to say 'Well Done' to braving the drive yourself. You should be really proud, it can be very daunting for someone who isn't used to driving!

Absinnu

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:12 am

Oh my goodness I am so in love with these little dears.
I love the contrast of the dark ears, gloves, nose against the immaculate white, and their striking cherry eyes. They look so intelligent!

What a lucky rescue for them, they must be happy in their new safe and cushier lives.

I can sympathize on the trials of transporting the plastic from store to home, though I dare say you had an easier time of it. I had to take a four foot wide, 32 square foot roll on a bus, and walk through the woods in a heavy downpour. The trip home took nearly two hours and I was soaked to the bone a minute after I stepped out of the store.

The things we do for pigs!

And I would like to say good luck on your trip to the vet. <3

ilumiari

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:32 am

Jaycey - Thanks! I've actually had my license for about 4 years, but witnessing a fatal crash at a very early age has made me terrified of other cars on the road.

Absinnu - I'm almost jealous, it's finally raining here this week, but we've had about 5 months without rain. There were quite literally people singing and dancing in my street when it started. I empathise with the hassle of public transport, I remember the looks of sympathy I received after being over enthusiastic at IKEA once.

Mapleowl18
Supporter in '11

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:16 am

Your antithesis's are amazingly cute.

With pellets I usually just do a straight cold turkey switch. Otherwise its kinda like asking them to eat raisins over M&M's. They figure it out and as long as they're getting hay and veggies they should be fine.

That's what I do when I run out of Kleenmama's pellets and have to give them oxbow temporarily.

TubbyTX

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:30 am

They're so adorable. I'm glad they are with you now.

clairey

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:38 am

Yay, they have a chronicle! I can't wait to hear about their adventures.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:43 am

They are so adorable!! ♥!!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:52 am

They are so cute. I got a hamster as my antithesis. :)

Wle312
Guinea Supporter '11

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:33 pm

They are adorable!! :)

I agree with Mapleowl though, cold turkey on the pellets, once they know they aren't getting anything else they'll soon start eating them, and as long as they have the hay and veggies as well they'll be fine!

Looking forward to hearing more about Sooty and Smudge! :)

Brainerror

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:58 pm

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh these lovelies are def on the top of my pignap list!!!

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:01 pm

Cute - I love their little gloves. ;·)