A wheek is worth a thousand words

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:32 am

This is the story of Fluffy and Snowy.

We don't remember much of the start of our lives. We know we were what the humans called "Classroom pets". We lived in a school, where lots of noisy little humans wanted to play with us and cuddle us all the time. We didn't get the best care says Mammy. We didn't get greens, we were left alone for long periods of time and we were pretty skinny. "I learned that if I wriggled and wriggled the little humans would leave me in my cage" says Snowy.

One day the big human who fed us (the caretaker) took us to stay with the nice people at Ark on the Edge. We lived in a room with lots of weird creatures called Rabbits, and a Degu called Diego, who lived in the cage next door. There were lots of big humans too. One of them was Pat, a lovely lady who made sure we saw a vet, clipped our nails, brought us hay, and gave us greens from the fields. We liked Pat and her big human helpers.

One day, the lovely lady Pat told us that someone wanted to come to see us and was thinking about adopting us. This was a scary thought. What if they had little humans who would poke and prod us again. Life with Pat was much better than the Classroom, and we didn't want to go.

On the 3rd of June 2012 the lady came to see us. She was a big human with lots of blonde hair, a soft voice, and lots of love in her eyes. She said she had fallen in love with us, and if Pat agreed, she would take us home with her and be our Mammy. She showed Pat pictures of our new cage which was all ready and waiting for us. Pat agreed that we could go. We were sad to leave Pat. She was really nice to us but she said it would be for the best.

We had to go in a box so that we could go for a drive in a car. That was very very scary. We didn't like the box at all.

After what seemed like forever, we arrived at our new home, and were placed in our new cage. We spent a lot of time exploring and chatting to each other, and we decided we liked it. The cage was much bigger than anything we'd seen before. Surely this couldn't be all for us.

Mammy left us in our cage for the first few days to get used to our new surroundings. We had 2 houses in our cage, and we liked to hide in them.

Mammy gave us treats called veggies. "Snowy liked the veggies most of all, and gave herself a poorly tummy as she ate my share too" says Fluffy.

Once we had gotten used to having veggies, Mammy decided to try us with different things to see what we liked and what we didn't. She talks about a pair of boys called Marvin and Quentin, and she said they didn't like anything except lettuce, carrot and celery. We tried carrot for the first time and Mammy took pictures.

We liked lots of the veggies Mammy gave us and now we get lots of different things every day. Mammy changed our food as she said we were selective feeding. We don't know what that is, we just eat what we like. Snowy eats so much that Mammy said she had to go on a pellet diet as she was getting a big tummy.

After a few weeks, Mammy decided to try us with floor time. We didn't know what this meant. We were put in a huge place with hay and readigrass, water, and lots of boxes to explore. We love floor time! Sometimes we stay out all day and have our dinner there too. There are always 2 dishes of food but we like to eat from the same dish.

Snowy is the boss of food time. Fluffy has to sneak a bite when Snowy isn't looking.

Mammy likes to take lots of pictures of us, but sometimes her picture machine makes a funny noise and gives us a fright.

We like to explore during floor time. "At first Fluffy was like my shadow and would follow me everywhere, but now I get to explore on my own" says Snowy.

We always have lots of hay around us all the time in case we fancy a nibble.

But most of all we like to hide under boxes. We get new boxes all the time. Mammy says she gets them from the veggie shop. We can even both fit under the same box.

Life with Mammy is awesome. We are so happy and well cared for. Mammy says that our cage is still a little small (currently a ferplast 120) and is planning on building a C&C cage. We don't know what that is, but she promises we will like it.

That is our story so far. We will write again when we have more tales to tell.

Fluffy and Snowy xx

GuineaPigMomo1

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:23 pm

Oh my goodness, I love this thread already! Your pigs are so adorable, and I love that you write from their point of view. That's one of my favorite things to do, too. I can't wait for the next post! Fluffy, you are a fantastic narrator.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:03 pm

What absolutely adorable guinea pigs! And the space!!! I love the space they have to run about in!!!!

tashab

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:14 pm

That is some great floor time!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:40 pm

Lovely to read about Fluffy and Snowy. Am sure they'll have lots to share. That's alot of room for floor time and great that the girls are out exploring. Mine took over year and even then the prefer to just remain on the fleece and under the stools VS checking out the room.

Piggywig

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Adorable piggies, and I especially love Snowy's face. Great expressions!

I'll bet you get to see some great zoomies in so much space!

serelixyue

Post   » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:29 am

WoW! More photos, please :)

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:15 pm

Snowy and Fluffy got a cardboard village this week as a reward for being very good girls at the vet. There is a video to follow.

Our chosen vet is called Jenny. She's cavy savvy - yay! Unfortunately, she has said what I was thinking, that Snowy is a tad overweight. She's weighing in at 1300g and Fluffy at 1100g.

Snowy had a bit of swelling in the pads of her front feet, so we went to get checked out. We were given some antibiotic steroid gel. It seems to have worked. As a consequence, Snowy is becoming a lot more easy to handle. I no longer get the wheeks of "please don't kill me" and the terrified stink eye while she's on my lap. I'm now getting stink butt from Fluffy who has always been the cuddler, and is not that fond of being the one laid by my leg, so she now turns away from both of us.

I think the girls are only just starting to fully settle in. They're not as wheeky, but around food time they still remind me what time it is. Snowy would also run from my hand more often than not when in the cage. Now she's found she loves a scratch in between her ears and down her nose. She also follows my feet when I'm trying to get across the hallway to the loo. I have the bathroom door wedged open and blocked off while they're in the hallway, and she plays peep round the door frame to see what I'm up to.

Today we built a cardboard box village. I caught about a minute and a half of Snowy going loopy in the hallway on video. Please excuse me giggling, I was trying to be as quiet as possible, but I found her rather amusing. She kept going into stealth mode, creeping up the boxes, and peeping out when she thought I wasn't looking.

Snowy goes zoom

If that is the effect a few new cardboard boxes is going to have on her I think we'll be seeing a more slimline Snowy very soon. You can see Fluffy at the very start at the back sitting in one of the hay boxes. She rarely gets involved when Snowy gets excited.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:20 pm

Great story about two adorable pigs!

poppycorn

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:01 pm

Oh wow, I think my heart just melted a little more. SQUEE!!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:53 pm

That video is adorable!

tashab

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:59 pm

There's nothing quite like fat little eggplant shaped piggy bottoms having a runabout!