The Legend of Barry Jenkins

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:08 am

Always add a descriptor so you know if it is mg or ml (aka cc) you are referring to. Dosing is very complicated for some people so I don't want anyone to jump to conclusions.

What was the concentration of the ivermectin in mg/ml again?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:20 am

Lynx, he states that it's the 0.5% solution:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 5#p2307235

And yes, sorry -- 0.14cc's.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:57 am

Super. So weight is 1364 grams, solution is 0.5% (Ivermectin 1% solution has 10 mg/ml so the 0.5% solution has 5 mg/ml) and the topical dose is 0.5mg/kg

https://www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html#dose

0.136 cc is the dose (0.14 rounded)

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:09 am

And that's what he got. I am going to keep monitoring his itching and give him another dose on Saturday, as it will have been 7 days. He seems to be doing better. We were looking at his thin spot during his floor time and it looks like it's getting smaller. Less itching too. That upcoming dose may well be the last one he needs. I gave him some celery and he loved it. Of course I took the stringy out and broke it up to make sure any I missed was small enough to avoid him choking on it.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:49 pm

BJ saw the vet today and all went well. He has one more Ivermectin topical treatment to go and he's done with that. He'll get it on Saturday. His itching is very minor now and only on his thin spot. The vet noticed that it has gotten smaller and his hair is growing back. She also was impressed with how good his grease gland looks.

That brings me to something I should clarify about his antibiotics. The vet prescribed them for his grease gland, which did look infected, not for mites or anything to do with the itching. I was a little out of sorts the last time I saw the vet because of having to watch BJ suffering and I misunderstood what it was for. I'm just glad he's ok now and back to being happy.

He has gained a small amount of weight from 1.52 kg to 1.57 kg. He's a very large pig, not just in weight, but in length and height. Sammy and Mr Bubbles are both pretty good sized boars and BJ makes them look small by comparison. They couldn't feel any noticeable tumors or anything else on his body to warrant an x-ray. Nothing to indicate that his weight is anything abnormal. He's just a big boy. Let the legend of Barry Jenkins continue!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:07 am

YAY! So glad to hear! Well done to you both. BJ ask your slave for a kiss, cuddle and treat from me and the girls! Great going!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:32 am

He got an apple slice as a treat. I'm so glad he's well. He really had me worried.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:39 am

That’s great news. So glad he’s doing well.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:31 pm

He's even started coming up to the front of his cage to greet me again. Still a little apprehensive about letting me pick him up, but at least he doesn't run from me as soon as I go up to him.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:10 pm

Oh, yay!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:46 pm

So glad to hear things are improving for him!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:24 pm

Went to the feed store to get the guinea pig supplies today. In addition to the bale of hay, pellets and bedding pellets I got my boys the oxbow hay stacks with carrots in them. They've been out of them for several months. Turns out the big guy likes it. So nice to see him get excited about something again! The picture doesn't show it, but he actually popcorned and did a happy squeak before standing on it and eating off of it.