Misc posts on topical issues

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:53 pm

Maybe he was pushed. Kind of like those “friendly fire” shootings you hear about in the military.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:31 pm

Funny.

GPIG

Post   » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:11 am

Agreed bpatters, it's not normal to bleed like that from blood thinners if appropriate dose is taken. As far as I know.

We have a saying - Friendly fire.............isn't

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:02 pm

I have posted a couple requests that you email me so I can add a valid email address to your account and you can be contacted.

You can contact me using this address:

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:45 pm

I remember hearing about a former high school classmate who went into the Army and was shot and killed. He was always a jerk in high school and I made the comment to someone that he was probably a victim of friendly fire. I was just kidding but it turned out that was the case.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:39 pm

Today is the 76th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:37 pm

So important to
Never Forget.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:29 pm

By the way, Ms. Betty says it all:

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:02 pm

That was good!!! And funny. I'm sure you've heard the saying from the early 20th century, "When Fascism comes to America it will be carrying the cross and wrapped in the flag" (sometimes attributed to Sinclair Lewis, but that's probably wrong).

I'm going to have to check Ms. Betty out.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:55 pm

Pontious Pilot blamed the will of the people. We are getting handwashing. So frustrating.

I subscribed to see what else Ms. Betty has to say.

Erinspigs

Post   » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:20 pm

I went to Auschwitz with my church about 2 years ago. It was intense, 7 days of just touring the camps and lectures. I'm glad I did it though. Powerful emotions. Even though I was there you still find yourself thinking, this just can't happen, but it did.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2021

Post   » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:03 pm

Erinspigs, my great-aunt died there. The rest of the family had left Poland for the US shortly after WWI and survived.

Erinspigs

Post   » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:40 am

Oh I'm sorry mmeadow. After the first day I could tell how emotionally difficult it was going to be. As I selfishly realized that notion I caught myself and instead began to think I have warm clothes, comfortable boots, food and water. I felt I needed to do something so I barely ate anything for the week. Just some crackers or bread at night (my mom made me take vitamins).

I will never forget that trip. I had long talks with my Dad prior to going, he talked me into going. He wanted me to see and learn all I could of course, but the biggest thing was to see the lack of honor in the whole mess that lead to the holocaust. To understand the need to have your own code, to never hide behind orders because going along with everyone else is easy.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:56 am

This self taught artist does fab work in oil, melding birds with interesting items like flowers:
https://mymodernmet.com/josie-morway-realistic-bird-paintings/

I will try to display a sample of her work:

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:51 pm

Those are really cool. I especially like the 2nd one with the green flowers.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:10 pm

Extraordinary detail!

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:10 pm

Incredible. Wonder how long it takes to do one.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:00 pm

I expect quite some time! I love the imagination, subjects, and execution.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:49 am

Wow, those are beautiful! They almost look 3D!

Erinspigs

Post   » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:33 am

Through the years whenever we would be at places like the beach, my Mom would be writing in composition books. She was always working, remembering or making "to do" lists. So we were told, so we believed.

It's come to light she wasn't writing notes for her work. For almost 30 years she's been writing about my father's experiences with war, or more importantly, how those experiences impacted or coincided with family events and relationships.

Each living family member (23 people) has been given a completed manuscript entitled, On Behalf of a Grateful Family. My father, like the rest of us had no idea. At first, I think he was a little out of sorts. I believe he always had an idea he would write about his experiences. Very quickly into the read 2 things become apparent, my Mom can write really well. The second thing is the story is told in an extraordinarily unique way.

At different times it can be hysterical, dark as midnight, hopeful, thankful, tragic, depressing and more.

Unfortunately, people had to talk, and of course, outsiders have seen the writing, which was not intended. My mom has been contacted by several literary types.

Her stock answer is, it's very personal, it wasn't intended to ever be anything other than something I did for your father and our family. So probably no, not interested but if he convinces me otherwise, who knows. Why write it? A. I had kept a journal as long as I can remember. I knew when your father stepped into my medivac during the first gulf war when we were just kids something was unique about this guy. Almost from the time he got in the door, looked up at me with the biggest twinkling eye smile I'd ever seen and said "hey, what's up"? I just knew, I knew he was the one, even though I wasn't looking for the one at that time, far from it. But he became a key topic of my journals until I thought heck, give him his own

Why finish it now? A. Well it's about war impacting family relations and events. That part of life, for the most part, has concluded. The death of our dear friend Como, for whom I am eternally thankful for because without his insight, retelling of events, friendship and encouragement (interesting he was the only person who knew she was writing it) I never would have been able to write it. His passing reminded us how fragile life can be. I hope someday she will allow me to post some passages. I am so proud of her.

322 posts