"Lights for Liberty" on July 12

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:37 pm

https://www.lightsforliberty.org/
https://www.lightsforliberty.org/localevents

Our town isn't listed, but a candlelight vigil as part of this initiative, and also to offer prayer and peacefully protest what happened to Óscar Alberto Martínez Ramírez and his daughter, is scheduled on July 12 from 8:00-10:00 p.m. in front of the county courthouse.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:23 pm

Looks like we have a local one too.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2019

Post   » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:24 am

I'm not sure I can get to one of these (we have a couple locally) but I was part of a big anti-ICE protest last week.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/07/02/protest/OuNM4jlpelhNw0GlwcLEYL/story.html

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:15 pm

I am proud of the protesters (and you!).

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:37 am

Ditto; good for you! I don't understand why more Americans aren't outraged over this.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:50 pm

Of all the things that are going on, this is the most disturbing. I'd like to see some big public displays of outrage like there were with the Muslim ban. This on Friday night will be good, but it doesn't seem to be well publicized. They also suggest using your own front yard or street. Thanks for the heads up on this. I just feel so damn helpless.

Our local Indivisible group is going to have a series of meetings on the subject - I'm not sure what the goal is.

There is a girl who was coming into the library with her mom a lot not long after I started working there 16 years ago. She was about 4 or 5. Hispanic. I watched her grow up. She came in once not long after Trump was inaugurated and I haven't seen her since. A coworker said maybe she just moved. Maybe but I have a feeling something else is going on.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:31 am

We went to the vigil last night. I'd say maybe 100 people showed up which, considering the size of our town and its largely Republican demographic, was pretty good. It was a peaceful event with a few speakers, a prayer and candles lit with a moment of silence in protest of the detention centers and Trump's immigration policies.

We heard from two Sisters from a neighboring Catholic monastery who are part of an immigrant outreach program in this area, and who have been to the border and seen some of the conditions first-hand. Their stories made me embarrassed to be part of a nation/culture that turns a blind eye to such atrocities. We also heard from a Hispanic resident who pleaded with the crowd to write to our senators in support of SB 292 (Keep Our Families Together Act).

I know nothing we do or say will make a difference, but I was glad we could go to the vigil. The way things are headed, there may come a time in our country when concerned citizens can no longer do that.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1