Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:52 pm

A gotcha, sort of:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:41 pm

I have long admired Robert Reich.

May Biden's victory be strong and clear and may we shape a true democracy that we will all be proud of.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:48 pm

LOL on the "gotcha." Ditto Reich. I want to listen to the other video later.

And big ditto on a clear, decisive victory for Biden. Good analogy on waiting for biopsy results. :(

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:35 pm

Looks like Russia is monkeying with Virginia, Ohio and North Carolina. Maybe MIchigan.

I'm going to bed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:39 pm

I'll go to sleep soon too. I don't think there is anything they can do in Virginia. We are going blue.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:44 am

I avoided all news yesterday. Woke up today dismayed that it's even close, but that's the state of the world right now. Whoever called it "waiting for biopsy report" is right. It's a feeling of hopeful dread.

Predictably our one horrible Representative maintained his seat (a lot of MD sees him as the drunk uncle in the corner) but looks like we are keeping Raskin. Our county is solid blue.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:38 pm

"I avoided all news yesterday. Woke up today dismayed that it's even close"

Ditto

I really like Jamie Raskin. Very sharp guy.

All of our Dem. candidates up & down the ticket lost except one - our candidate for state representative. Husband was working for a pac for a candidate for state senator, or something. It's very disappointing that she lost.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:21 pm

The at-large Board of Ed person just conceeded his race. :(

One of our ballot questions was proposed by perennial candidate Robin Ficker. My opinion was anything he suggested was immediately suspect.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:50 pm

They just called Michigan for Biden a little while ago!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:54 pm

Yes, looking like we will indeed be getting rid of trump! -and not a moment too soon.

I hoped for a larger windfall for the dems but the prize is ours! - I believe there is no whining or court ruling that will be able to invalidate legitimate votes for Biden. As time passes things look better and better for him.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:59 pm

He just needs one more. ARGH.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:15 pm

He is creeping up in numbers as the mail in votes are being tallied. I can't wait for it to be a clear win.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:38 pm

It should never have been this close. That tells me there is a lot of ignorance out there, at least the ones that vote. I don’t know how many eligible voters either didn’t bother, or couldn’t follow the confusing absentee ballot procedures, or were scared off at the polling places. At least we stayed blue. The metropolitan areas pulled us through. People in the rural areas are nuts. They resent having to come into the city for groceries, medical, car repair, etc. so they behave like jerks.

Around here the sporting goods stores have been unable to keep ammunition on the shelves for the last couple months. Maybe some people just wanted to be prepared for fall hunting season, but that doesn’t explain the smaller handgun calibers being bought up. Makes me nervous since our state allows permits to carry.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:11 pm

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/politics/elections/geor ... 313d98fc975e
LIVE UPDATES
10:29 p .m. | Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger said that as of 10:15 p.m., there are approximately 90,735 ballots still outstanding.

10:10 p.m. | The latest numbers for Fulton County show a high number for Biden.

Major Fulton County, Georgia update 10:05 PM EST
23,066 newly-counted ballots
Trump: 4,708
Biden: 18,358
79.5% to Biden when he needs to win 68% of outstanding votes outstanding to tie the president.

— Brendan Keefe (@BrendanKeefe) November 5, 2020

By my calculations, looks like under 18,000 votes separate them. Google's numbers via the AP have not changed in over an hour. I am using their old numbers for calculations. Biden is favored to take a hunk of the remaining 90+ thousand votes. Very strong chance Georgia will stand with Biden.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:19 pm

Yeah, but it seems to be going the other way in Arizona. I sure do hope Georgia and Pennsylvania hold for Biden.

On a related note, if we don't get to at least an even split in the Senate, Biden's going to have a hell of a time getting anything done except by executive order. That effing Mitch McConnell will still block everything he wants to do. It could be a miserable two years until there's the possibility of electing some more Democratic senators.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:27 pm

Not having the senate will/would be hard. mcconnell is one of my least favorite people in the world.

Different organizations are treating the states differently. I see some holding off on Arizona while it is called for Biden by others. I can't find any info that seems really uptodate on it.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:34 am

I don't understand Arizona. After the way trump disparaged John McCain, and they still voted heavily for him?

I still think Russia had a hand in some of this.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:47 am

There doubtless have been attempts to manipulate the vote. The lower vote counts we are seeing may be reflective of this. trump's hobbling of the USPS was/is unconscionable. Florida circumventing the ability of ex-felons to vote is a particularly egregious manner of voter suppression.

CNN seems to have really good coverage:
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-biden-election-results-11-05-20/index.html

By the end of the day, I am so hoping Biden's win is clear and strong!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:10 am

The problem with Arizona, according to Steve Kornacki (MSNBC data wonk par excellence), is the way the votes came in. The early votes came in first, were counted first, and were heavily Biden. Election day results were also tabulated quickly, and were heavily Trump. The third batch of votes are the mail-in/absentee votes that came in after the end of early voting, and apparently there was a big Republican push to get folks out to vote. If that third batch goes 60% to tRump, he wins Arizona. If less, Biden wins.

Edited to add: The third batch of votes were drop-offs on election day, so there's no way to know what neighborhood they came from, therefore no way to predice how they might lean.

The first group of that third batch that got counted and reported last night went 59% tRump, so it's a cliff-hanger and a nail biter. When I looked this morning, no more votes had been reported last night, so I assume the counters went home and will come back to work today.

What's going to be THE most hellish situation is if there's an electoral college, and that's a possibility. The representatives from each state collectively get one vote for president, and there are more Repug states than there are Dem. The Senate gets to vote for VP. So we could wind up with tRump-Pence again. Kill me now.

116 posts