COVID19 Vaccines - get it when you can!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:56 am

This physician shares what he has found out about the Pfizer vaccine and why he will be getting it. As most of you already know, there are a handful of people for whom it might not be recommended (those who have had severe allergic reactions to other vaccines, if I have that right). He recognizes how vaccines are usually tested for years but also reminds us that this is one of the most deadly viruses in modern times. Includes graphs, includes info on large pool of people in the study - many ages, also comorbidities, etc.

Not Throwing Away my Shot: Doc Micah's Guide to the COVID-19 Vaccine
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/12/26/2004272/-Not-Thr ... D-19-Vaccine

I am in. The risk of NOT getting it is so much higher than getting the vaccine.

Traudl64

Post   » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:44 pm

I have Covid19 since 5 weeks. I never felt as sick as I did in the first two weeks of the illness. I am a nurse. I got it at work. we nurses cannot protect ourselves 100%. Please protect yourself as well as you can and get vaccinated. That protects us

Crazy4me

Post   » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:30 pm

Traudl64, Thank You for the work that you do for your community. I am very upset that our front line workers...nurses don't have the PPE to protect themselves while they treat COVID patients; this absolutely should not be happening.

Please take care. I am a former nurse but now a full time caretaker for Jan who is like a mother to me. I have protected her from this virus since the beginning and I am anxiously waiting to get my COVID vaccine and when Jan can get it she will too! Until then it is just her and I and if we even leave her apartment we put our mask on!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:22 pm

I hope you recover fully from the virus, Traudl64. It can be so deadly. The work you do is so important. It is hard to protect yourself when you are working in a health care situation.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:28 am

Traudl64 - one of the things that makes me so angry about people who refuse to wear masks and social distance is the impact they're having on health care workers. It's so selfish.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:29 pm

That was a very informative article. It answered a lot of my questions.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:24 pm

I'm on the list with my primary care physician, who expects to get the vaccine in this week or next. I'd be happy to be the first one in line!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:12 am

That is great! I imagine since I am not over 75, I will have to wait longer but they should get to me eventually.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:15 am

Thank you, Traudl64, for weighing in on the vaccine discussion. But most of all a sincere thank you and appreciation for the work you do in the medical field. I hope you have a full recovery and I feel so bad for those in the medical profession to be in such a difficult situation. Take care and get well.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:58 am

I'm over 75, so qualify anyway, but Texas (along with Florida and Ohio) is ignoring the federal guidelines and putting people over 65 ahead of healthcare workers. I don't agree with that decision, but am afraid not to take it when I'm allowed to. I haven't heard anyone say whether you lose your place in line if you delay taking it.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:14 am

Ohio is not putting people over 65 ahead of heathcare workers. We are currently in the first phase of distribution which includes healthcare workers involved in the care of COVID-19 patients and residents and staff in nursing homes and assisted living facilities. The next phase will open it up to people over 65 (and those with chronic conditions) but there is no indication when that phase will start.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:31 am

The Washington Post, among others, says that Ohio is prioritizing people over 65 in their Tier 1B (or Tier 2, however they call it). Texas and Florida are also doing that.

Traudl64

Post   » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:56 am

Thank you for the god wishes.
I am living in bavaria,germany.
First, those over80, the staff of the intensive care units, the emergency room medical staff, caregiver and Infection ward medical stuff will be vaccinated in Bavaria.
In the second-highest prioity group is all medical staff and people over 65.
My doctor wants me to get vaccinated when there is enough vaccine. Because with a vaccination one can say better how long the immunity lasts than after surviving illness

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:01 pm

Yes, Ohio will be prioritizing people over 65 in Tier 1B/2, but we are not at that tier yet. We are still in Tier 1A which is healthcare workers and people living in congregate healthcare facilities who are mainly the elderly and disabled.

Traudl64

Post   » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:01 am

I habe still not been able to work since my Covid19 illness in november2020. I'm constantly exhausted and short of breath.Post Covid Rehabiĺitation Starts tomorrow. I hope so mutch that I'll be fit again afterwards.
Avoid this disease, if you can and get vaccinated.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:51 am

I'm so sorry, Traudl64. I hope the rehab will help. I've heard the same thing from a close acquaintance of mine, whose best friend caught Covid early-on and hasn't been able to shake the fatigue and shortness of breath months later. I believe he's in his early 40's and, as far as I know, didn't have any known health issues before this.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:12 pm

I hope you recover fully, Traudl64. I wish those people who think nothing of their getting it or how they may put others at risk, see the light and get vaccinated.

Vaccine "passports" (proof of vaccination) is coming.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:48 pm

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this Traudl64. Please let us know how you're doing.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:45 pm

My best to you Traudl64. We have learned a lot about this terrible illness and I hope the rehabilitation helps you improve. I've read so many accounts of people struggling for months after Covid. Take care and keep us updated.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:11 pm

There was a story on NPR yesterday saying that getting the COVID vaccine helped a large percentage of the COVID long-haulers with their symptoms. It also mentioned it made a few of them worse so that makes the decision to get it a little more difficult. I hope you find some relief Traudl64.

83 posts