Thread for Pinky

daj

Post   » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:36 pm

Pinky is a male skinny pig, about a year and a half old. One of his eyes has been watering, going into the second week now, as far as I know. I've looked under his lids, but don't see any debris. I also don't see any obvious abrasion, puffiness, clouding, crust or redness. It's been squinting a bit, like not 100% open. He doesn't wipe at it at all. Everything else seems normal. Does this sound like a possible scratch, or maybe something else? He's very pale/fair (a baldwin?), but his eyes are brown, and he's the smallest of my 5 pigs. I took him as a rescue, and I believe he's been in good health with no vet visits to date.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:41 pm

Eye injuries are painful, and the fact that he's squinting indicates he's in pain. A week is too long to wait to see a vet about an eye problem. He needs to be seen.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:16 pm

I would see a vet asap too.
http://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:08 am

I agree with the others about seeing a vet, especially if this is a new issue. The vet can stain the eye to look for scratches that may be too small to see.

If the vet does not find anything, this could be genetic. Did you check for an eyelash or whisker that may be turned inward toward the eye?

4 posts • Page 1 of 1