Dental Issues: broken tooth growing at rapid rate

Rollinginthehay

Post   » Sat May 15, 2021 7:30 pm

My 4-year-old guinea pig, Jeffrey, broke one of his top teeth about a month ago. It broke lengthwise so there is now a jagged, long piece of tooth beside his other top tooth.

He was seen by a vet and I was told to simply keep an eye on it, watch for any bad smells (infection), and see if it falls out on it's own. Not too long after I noticed the broken tooth was growning very fast, past the other teeth. Another trip to the vet ensued and it appeared that the broken piece is not getting worn down like it should be. The vet clipped the tooth and again told me to keep an eye on it.

While waiting for his recheck, I noticed that the broken tooth is growing out of control, to the point that I can see it when his mouth is closed. My vet cannot see me for about 2 more weeks and I am not sure of what to do in the mean time. Due to covid, I cannot go into the vet with Jeffrey, but the vet said that they would make an exception for a demonstration of how to trim the tooth on my own. Based on my comfort level, I can do that going forward or look into surgery.

My question is: should I wait to see my vet or find someone else who can see him sooner? Has anyone else had a problem similar to this? My vet told me she has never seen this happen with a Guinea pig before and I am concerned. Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat May 15, 2021 8:17 pm

Tooth trimming by an owner is not all that difficult. The best thing might be for you to learn to do it.

Mildredm, who was active a few years back, had a lethal white pig that needed regular tooth trimming. Here's the topic in the records forum: https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=303

If the tooth is growing really quickly, you may need to have another vet clip it until your regular vet can get you in to learn how to do it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 15, 2021 9:51 pm

MildredM had such a gift for telling stories about Fairy! I would not have remembered this and am so glad you did.

Pinta would use a glass file (I think this is a file humans use that is made of glass) to safely file down the teeth. I suspect that until the tooth is under control and one of the split parts has fallen off so the tooth can grow out normally, you may need to maintain the teeth a bit.

If it is not getting worn down properly, it may be that there is some pain when eating. Weighing daily right now might be a good way to monitor intake to make sure she is eating enough. Pain can interfere with eating.

Rollinginthehay

Post   » Sun May 16, 2021 10:21 am

Lynx and bpatters I cannot thank you both enough for your thoughtful responses and advice! I will call another vet first thing in the morning to get Jeffrey's tooth trimmed down in the mean time. I am happy to hear it may be an easier process than I had anticipated.