Peanut

daj

Post   » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:27 pm

Have to be quick- under possible wildfire evac
Peanut is 1.5 yr. male, seems in good health, but today urinated and it was red, not pink, but brownish red, normal quantity, all same color... have not seen more... getting temp cages ready
appreciate advice

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:26 am

Hope you're safe. Some types of food can cause a change in urine color. I've noticed with my Lacey that dandelion and other dark green leafy veggies will cause a temporary orange-brown color. Hopefully Peanut is drinking plenty of water. Maybe keep track of the veggies that you feed and see if the color returns - hopefully it won't.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:44 am

Ditto ItsaZoo. Also, sometimes a rusty red color is due to porphyrins in the urine (they get darker after urination).

daj

Post   » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:33 am

Looks like my last post didn't take. We are still in "ready" status, and supposed to get rain next week, so things look promising. Peanut seems fine. No sign of any discoloration since that one time. That night I went out to look for the piece of newspaper he urinated on. When it happened I was home on my lunch break and in a rush, so I wanted to confirm what I thought I saw earlier. You both are probably right about it not being blood. I found the newspaper on my compost pile, and the stain from the evaporated urine was only brownish around the perimeter. It did not look like it was actually blood. This is such a relief! I'd never seen this before with any of my pigs. There were no changes in his diet, and it was a huge puddle of urine and so dark. Weird. Thanks for the help!

I was also wondering if you have any advice or know of any info on how to ease the experience on the pigs, if we did actually have to evacuate. I have my crates made. One for 3 pigs that takes up my whole back seat and two on the front seat. If the opened a school gym as a shelter, I don't image they would allow animals too, and a tent seems scary, as we have coyotes and other predators here. So, keeping them in the car might be the only option. It would be rough on them no matter how it plays out. Hopefully we never get to that point. Do you know of stories of those who may actually gone through this?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:34 pm

I believe over the years we have talked about evacuation. A search of Cavy Chat might turn up some of those topics.

To calm them down, I'd grab a bag of greens and maybe a couple green or red peppers - whatever they normally eat - and give them some while in their cages. If it is hot and you have to leave the windows of the car cracked or open, make sure your crates are extremely secure against predators.

By the way, there are even battery operated fans that, on low, will stay on for a very long time. I have one by Ryobi that I use with my chickens. Can also be plugged in.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1