Jay and Jersey's thread

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:27 pm

Due to the recent losses of Jill and baby Jersey can one give their piggies wheaten hay? https://www.coopersmylor.com.au/collections/hay

Tried the meadow hay but all girls weren't over keen, think it might helped in the losses of our babies. What do you suggest?
Very limited here!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:16 pm

It looks so dry and brown. Reminds me of straw. Unfortunately I do not know anything about wheaten hay but from the looks, I so wish you had some better quality hay available.

I think you will have to experiment to see what works best for them. We always suggest trying to track down a horse farm to see what hays they feed because they generally try to find the best quality hay available.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:53 am

Thanks Lynx. Rang about a dozen stables and they feed their horses lucerne, wheaten, rye,oaten or chaff. So no luck there. Now out of hay and don't know what to do. Timothy hay isn't grown here and is $40.00 for a 2kg bag. Don't know what I am going to do. Back to the drawing board!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:10 am

Lynx I will send you a picture via email. It has taken be a long time to write this as I have had a hard year with my husband leaving me and 2 fur babies passing.
Jersey
18/10/2019 to 18/08/2021
It is with great sadness that I have to say on August 18th 2021 I lost Jersey 2 months short of her second birthday. Jay and she were having usual spats and she was quiet. then on the 18th whilst cleaning her out I moved her bed with her in it. I turned and noticed she had come out of bed and curled like a cat. When I went to pick her up she was gone.

Our time together was so short. You were gone before you lived life to the full! You were a strange one preferring your own company and didn't like to be held. you always made me laugh after being cleaned out you would try and out popcorn Jay and often smash into each other or you'd fall over. Loved the way you'd do zoomies and were so full of happiness.

What little time we had together dear one I will treasure! I am sure Jill who went 4 weeks before you went to make a place for you! I will miss you darling and lament how short our time together was. In my heart now and for ever my little sweet pea. Loved and never forgotten. Behave yourself till we meet again!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:15 am

Now for Jay, she seems off her food and has lost weight. She has gone from 900grams to 830grams in 6 weeks. Last time at vet there was a trace of blood in her urine so have started a course for 7 days of Bactrim. Jewel who was 980grams got 0.01mls twice a day. So have put Jay on 0.025mls twice a day.

After 4 doses there has been no change. Is she getting enough? Please don't ask me strength as Bactrim just put into a container with no strength on the bottle. Any advice much appreciated. Am seriously thinking of giving her Critical Care to stabilise her. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:35 am

I'm sorry you've had such a hard year. Losing a 2-year-old is tough. I'll let someone else weigh in on the Bactrim.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:23 pm

I am adding a compilation of your pics of Jersey. She is so beautiful.
I am unsure which topic you wanted me to reopen (per your email). And indeed, I am so sorry about your losses.

Critical care would likely help maintain her weight if you are seeing weight loss.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:26 pm

Thank-you Lynx, and Bookfan. It was how she went that was a shock! One second alive the next just silently slipped away.

The thread Lynx was Jaffa, Jupiter and Jill and add what I wrote. Here is link to thread. https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/view ... r#p2317221
Thanks for adding pictures Lynx. Sorry they are of poor quality. RIP little girl too precious for this world. You now have your wings. Fly high and free! Miss you so much!

I made mistake with Bactrim Jewel 980grams was getting 0.1mls Jay is 830grams I am giving her half of what Jewel got. But vet said it is 0.1ml to 1kg and as Jewel 980 and Jay 830 they are both close to a kilo so give 0.1 to both. why are my girls since moving getting plagued with bladder infections? They were on rain water now on bottled water. Thanks again!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:43 pm

I believe you had written me and requested that it be locked some time ago.

I have unlocked that topic for you and encourage you to add whatever you wish to add to that topic.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:46 pm

I sent it to you via Guinea Lynx message. I think I got a copy sent to me. I will have a look and copy and paste it. Thanks Lynx.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:19 pm

I’m sorry to hear you had such a troublesome year, and that you lost Jersey. She is lovely and I’m glad to hear she was happy and popcorning and that she had a joyful life.

The Bactria dosage that your vet recommended sounds reasonable. If there is weight loss, I would feed critical care as long as she takes it easily. I would think the extra nutrition would help her recovery.

Best of luck to you, keep us informed how things go.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:19 am

Thank-you ItsaZoo for you kind words and well wishes. 2 and a half hours and off to the vet. Will take justice to just to be weighed. Last time she was 440grams at 8 weeks of age. Will keep you posted on Jay.