I understand how painful it was for you to lose your other guinea pig. Every surgery does carry risks. One wants the best surgeon they can find along with an otherwise fairly healthy guinea pig to increase the odds of a successful surgery.
this is the only good location i know of around my area. The other places are emergency locations with bad reputations.
the hospital connected to the adoption center i adopted both my male and female guinea will probably not do anything. what they said when i brought my male pig when he had his stone was that it is too risky and to let him pass the stone. in the parking lot as frustrated as i could be found the location i just called and made an appointment that same day. The next day my male pig started to slowly deteriorate so if i had listened to the adoption place, he would of had a horrible time.
This really sucks but i have no choice but to wait I'm afraid.
the place that did my male guinea's stone surgery i called back and they said they needed to get the x ray scans so the doctor can see and i just so happened to have them so i sped up that process. gonna bug them again in a few since the doctor was in surgery to see if she saw the scans yet. they are booked also so it is more of a call to find out if she can squeeze my female pig in so i have no approximate date for them to evaluate her.
i am running out of places. these are the ones that are pretty good.
when do i consider letting her sleep? she still eats, drinks (sometimes a few bites at the water bottle, sometimes a bunch), eats hay but the only time she would do so (i have seen the water bottle go down in quantity overnight so i know she may come out of her hut and water bottle does not leak) is if i remove her pig hut. the food obviously would chase herself.
today she tends to be tired and i see her slowly closing her eyes as if she is getting exhausted (once i remove her pig hut, she takes a bit like in a daze and then goes off). usually around afternoon- nighttime she may come out on her own. today is her 4th day on antibiotics but still i spot blood in her urine. kind of hard to tell if it is less or if she slowly cant pee as much as before. still vocalizes even with metacam recently given.
what i have been doing is removing her hut a good amount of times and she goes off to the hay box and eats some hay and take a drink once or twice to go back to eat some hay and then lay down. then place her hut next to her to show her i am placing the hut back. rinse and repeat a little bit later.
there is only 1 location that i am waiting for but the other 2 is in February or march respectively. very far dates and i can tell you, i don't believe she can make it and if she does, probably not in good shape. unless the stone shrinks and/or brakes apart somehow.
this is not easy to write
Edit: as i sent this message, she just walked straight to the water bottle and is drinking a bunch. it is the afternoon here. this is the first time she has come out on her own aside from this morning but it is cause she knows it is lettuce time.
Can anyone with experience with a pig who had finished their stone surgery described how your pig was when he woke up right after surgery? When you took them home? What did you do?
Also, did the surgeon give them an injectible painkiller? I remember my male guinea woke up from surgery and he was eating everything but after an hour he declined. I always tought maybe the anesthesia's pain relief wore off and it hit him to the point he didn't want too move.
I took him home and he did not move, accept syringe medicine or painkillers. Around his last 9 to 10 minutes he just jolted so fast that it sounds like someone ran into a wooden wall and scared my female pig. Both were inside their cage together. He never moved the whole day. He laid were he had sprinted towards and I placed him on my lap. He looked like he was In pain during that. Could be some other complication but that is what my gut feeling was. This was like at 12am and i was considering an ER to get him some pain relief but he passed away before I got up to get dressed.
I'm sending you all of my thoughts and best wishes as you navigate through this. I know you will do your best to make the best decision you can.
- I dissent.
I have found it helpful to keep the recuperating pig in a small 'hospital' cage that can be kept warm. Coming out of anesthesia, sometimes their body temp can drop. Monitor for pooping and peeing. Metacam or Tramadol can be used for pain, and as the advice on that page suggests, it can be a good idea to have Metoclopramide on-hand just in case the gut slows down. Be ready to handfeed with Critical Care.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you both. :)
my issue is, what if my pig refuses metacam for pain from a syringe for example? as in not chewing so it means she could choke if i decide to administer the medicine in her mouth.
were can i buy metoclopramide? is that administered from a syringe as well?
any help or advise appreciated (i read the postop link allot back then and reviewed it again just now as well).
One thing I noticed today is she hasn't eaten much hay today. She has eaten everything else but that. That is why I was considering feeding a bit of those expired critical care if it is alright to give those expired ones.
my pig has slowly been ignoring her hay except hard pieces and the fuzzy flowers. i mostly got leafy kind of hay. i did obtain Metoclopramide and a new bag of critical care. should i use any of those 2 over the other to maybe entice her to eat more hay? remember she is on the antibiotic enrofloxacin
what if my pig refuses Metacam for pain from a syringe for example? as in not chewing so it means she could choke if i decide to administer the medicine in her mouth. is there anything i can do?