Alf\´s got the sniffles

Mama Alf

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 12:51 pm

My guinea pig has such trouble breathing through his nose. When we first got him he had such a runny nose all the time and sneezing. We called Petco back and they said it might just be b/c it is a new surrounding and give him some Vit. C tablets in his water. That seemed to help some, but it´s back. We thought it might be from the dust created by his newspaper bedding. He likes to bury his nose into it. It was suppose to be the best stuff from Petco, but now we are not so sure. Does anyone know what to do to help him breath better? Could it be allergies or the bedding? We give him carrots and pieces of oranges all the time for Vit. C. But nothing seems to help. His nostrils are so small and full of guck that it seems like he can bearly get any air in. Does anybody know what we can do to help him? I heard that putting a little bit of Vick´s Vapor Rub on his nose will help. Will it? If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:18 pm

It is quite likely your pet has a bacterial infection (also referred to as an upper respiratory infection -- URI) that can only be successfully treated with antibiotics. Bacterial infections can be deadly. A vet can diagnose this and provide you with medication. Home treatments will NOT WORK if it IS a URI.

Please see a vet immediately. You can find advice on finding a qualified exotics vet on Guinea Lynx (see button top left) -- check "Veterinarians". You may also want to read the page on Safe Medications and Dangerous Medications. Some unknowledgeable veterinarians will prescribe penicillin drugs that are deadly to guinea pigs.

I am sorry to tell you the employee at Petco is most likely wrong. I hope you can take this pig to a vet to ensure it gets the treatment it needs.

If your pet has stopped eating, you may want to read the advice on Hand Feeding also -- but a vet visit is still critical.
Last edited by Lynx on Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:33 pm

I second Lynx´s comments. This sounds like it requires an urgent vet visit. Time is always of the essence with these little guys and since it has been going on for some time, I would certainly call it an emergency.

Petco is known for unreliable and incorrect advice. They are being sued in San Francisco right now and have quarantined another store due to the improper care and neglect of the animals they sell.

Plus, vitamin C should never be given in the water. The water, light, air, heat, and chlorine degrade it. One never knows how much the pig is truly drinking and taking in and total water consumption may decrease with the tart vitamin C added. There are liquid vitamin C suspensions or chewable tablets available at health food stores and grocery stores that are much better for the cavies. An adult needs 10-25 mgs daily if well and supplemented with fresh greens daily. Sick cavies need at least 50 mgs daily.