Elsie's ugly teeth

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:34 am

Thanks for the explanation. I have no objections. It's a great thing you do that!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:07 pm

The tooth trimming went well today. Dr. Sedlacek agreed to let me be the one to hold her and no anesthesia was necessary. YAY! He was able to clip the top and the bottom.
He said her having peg teeth on top and bottom is very unusual. It's something he said you see in rabbits, not guinea pigs.

Anyway, interestingly enough my bill was $20.

Last month she was put under anesthesia and had only the bottom teeth filed down. That bill was $162.00.

Needless to say, she will be seeing Dr. S every 6 wks for the tooth clipping.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:40 pm

Cool! I'm sure it was much less stressful on her. I take it the molars are not at all involved in this. You wrote: "He said her having peg teeth on top and bottom is very unusual."
What are "peg teeth"? From my understanding, the unusual teeth are only on the bottom.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:37 am

Rabbits have a small set of front teeth that sit behind their front teeth. The ones that sit behind are called "peg teeth".

Elsie has 4 top teeth and 4 bottom teeth. I wasn't sure about Elsie's top teeth but I knew there was something different about them too. This vet said she has the peg teeth on top too.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:11 pm

Oh, how interesting. I didn't know that about rabbits, either.

Hey, Pinta, ask your vet about the peg teeth stuff and if he's ever seen them on a guinea pig.

By the way, here's something from the House Rabbit Society's website:
http://www.rabbit.org/fun/answer8.html

Rabbits have four incisors, two on the top, and two on the bottom. Right behind the top incisor teeth are two small peg-like teeth called auxiliary incisors or "peg teeth".

Oh, am I missing something here? Why don't they say there are 8 incisors? 4 on the top and 4 on the bottom? 2 incisors with a set of 2 peg teeth behind? Why aren't the peg teeth counted?

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:35 pm

Elsie's at the vet right now. This morning I discovered a grape size lump in her neck O:(.

The vet aspirated the fluid to determine it's an abscess. It may be related to the teeth problem she has.

I can only hope she survives the procedure and recovers. The vet said she sees this a lot in older piggies and it usually signals the beginning of the end. She consulted a vet at a lab who advised her to remove the roots from the guinea pigs but she feels that's too aggressive to do with an older pig.

I just need her to make it through this and recover well enough to eat and be comfortable. She's 5.5yrs old so I know she's an old lady but she's still my baby.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:09 pm

I understand, GP Lover. I wish you and Elsie the best. I think I met her years ago, didn't I?

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:11 pm

Ya know...I had all three girls with me at the GP Extravaganza in VA. They were all babies and I can't remember if you came over and met them. I think you did.

whittibo

Post   » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:37 pm

I hope Elsie is OK! She's been through so much! Hoping for the best for your little girl!

LER

Post   » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:14 pm

Elsie is in my thoughts! I'll be looking for updates.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:37 pm

Well, Elsie made it and the vet said she did very well. What a relief! I get to pick her up and bring her home in an hour.

She has a drain in and I'll need to isolate her from Annabelle and Sophie while she heals.

I'm keeping her on Baytril although she was on it once and developed diarrhea and stopped eating. The vet's giving me Bactrim in case it happens again so I can switch her over. I also have critical care home to feed her if she stops eating.

Her molars were in good shape so she only needed her bottom teeth trimmed again. At least she was already under anesthesia so she didn't even feel it this time O:).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:45 pm

It is reassuring to hear she made it out of surgery okay. Keep us updated. Go Elsie!