Post   » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:13 pm

We're thinking of you and Elsie.

momof911kids
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:23 pm

*sending good thoughts & hugs to you & Elsie*

ellissian

Post   » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:32 pm

Thinking good thoughts for you and Elsie.

Zoe

Post   » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:46 pm

I will be sending loving thoughts to you and Elsie. I am sorry for the troubles, but so happy to hear that she has made it to her 7th birthday. That's a wonderful thing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:31 pm

Oh, no! I wish you and Elsie the best. I hope she pulls through.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:57 am

Any news? We send you ninja vibes.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:54 am

Spoke to the vet this morning. He said Elsie seems brighter today and that she did eat some pellets and hay. He is taking her out of the oxygen today to see how she does without it.

I asked if he would let me try Lotensin and he said not unless we have proof of an enlarged heart so today she will get an ultrasound to see for sure what is going on with her.

I have to call back at 3:00 to get results and see if she is well enough to be managed at home on oral meds.

Thanks for your well wishes.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:10 am

Good news!

I imagine you've read over the heart page several times. I don't know if any of the info there will offer other ways to indicate the likelihood of heart problems but maybe.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:18 am

I forget what he said but it appears the x-ray is not conclusive enough for him to know what is going on. He said it could be a tumor that we see on it.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:40 pm

Regardless, Lotensin could help her be more comfortable. Ask him to contact other vets on the heart thread for feedback on Lotensin.

If she brightens up with oxygen, that's a hell of an indication she has circulatory issues.

She was in heart failure and responded to standard emergency heart treatment. What the hell else does your vet need to convince him a safe drug to take the load off a compromised heart would be beneficial?

It won't do much good if he waits until she is safely dead. Geez, God almighty, Good Lord. Talk about erring on the side of caution. Man oh man, I'm getting frustrated with vets who won't think outside the box.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:12 pm

He said Elsie seems brighter today and that she did eat some pellets and hay. He is taking her out of the oxygen today to see how she does without it.
So if oxygen helped her why on earth won't he consider heart meds?

This makes no sense at all to me.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:14 pm

Okay, the ultrasound shows significant heart disease. One chamber is very large. He researched and decided on Anapril (sp?) as opposed to Lotensin. He says he has much experience with it with Ferrets and other vets on the VIN are using it on guinea pigs.

The ultrasound shows she still has fluid so he wants to keep her overnight again to give her the meds by injection. If she is improved again tomorrow she can come home in the a.m. He says she is much brighter and eating on her own O:).
Last edited by GP Lover on Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.