Diablo's Medical Thread

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:59 pm

Right now he is 1lb 15oz. I think I'll schedule the appointment once he has reached 2 lb.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:01 am

Go, Diablo!

You know his "sister" and her mate are pulling for him.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:36 am

The more I research, the more I think he has TMJ. His mouth hangs slightly open all the time, and since he is 3-4 years old, that akes it more likely. I have a feeling he'd be in worse shape if he had had malocclusion for his entire life. I'll calll the vet today about an appointment.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:00 pm

Back from the vet's. Dr. Crum suspects that Diablo has an inner ear infection, that may be causing all his weirdness. So far he's got an eye that won't blink, a crooked mouth and always turns to the right. He is on 0.1 CC of Meloxicam twice a day, and 0.4 CC of Baytril once a day. He really hates the Baytril, so I tried mixing it with critical care, then he loved it!
For his right (non-blinking) eye, the vet gave me some ointments to put into his eye twice a day to keep it moist.

Despite his issuses, I think he is doing really well. He is now 880G, up 120G from the last visit! I think that he will be a chubby pig in no time.

JaneDoe

Post   » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:22 pm

Glad about the weight gain, sorry about the other problems.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:19 pm

Just got back from a follow-up visit.

Diablo's doing well, maintaining a weight of 880G. His eye is healing well, but he's still not blinking. I will probably stop giving him the Meloxicam soon, as I don't think he's in any pain. Plus, one less thing to struggle to shove down his throat. Dr. Crum said I might need to continue with the Baytril for 3-4 weeks, probably until his head tilt is reduced.

JaneDoe

Post   » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:42 am

Good Boy, Diablo!

emjay

Post   » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:38 am

Ow i hope he gets better!!!!!!

JaneDoe

Post   » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:43 pm

He will. Dr. Crum is the best.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:11 pm

Just an update and a quick question.

Diablo is doing absolutely wonderful! He is maintaining weight (though he is still too skinny, in my opinion), and is very happy and healthy. He has moved in with Elsie, and they get along really well. I'm amazed that she hasn't even nipped at him once since they've lived together. Before, she has made him bleed on several occasions. It's a relief that she's being nice now, because I'm always worried about D's eye. If she nipped him near his eye, he'd be unable to close his eye to protect it, and I really doubt that he'd enjoy another corneal ulcer.

And, quick question. I've gone through almost two tubes of the AB ointment for D's eye, and this stuff is pretty expensive. I know that Brandilynn used Vaseline for Laz's eye, would it be okay for Diablo? After all, his eye is not cut, infection or injured in any way, it just needs to stay moist.

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:39 am

He looked great at the pignic!

Even though his "sister" outweighs him ;)

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:10 am

I don't know about vaseline, but I used to use Puralube ointment for Spot. I think the problem with the vaseline might be that it's not sterile - but check with somebody like Josephine.