weight loss in older piggy

Tracy

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:53 am

Hello. I'm looking to hear anyone's experiences with older pigs losing weight, in particular, whether folks have been able to slow down their pet's decline.

My Inca is coming up on 5 years old, which I know is "average" and not necessarily "geriatric." She's been gradually losing weight all year (from, I believe, 1150g to 750-800 now), despite eating the same as always and eating more the past few months because I'm supplementing. Her X-rays, teeth, bloodwork, urine, feces, and activity level are all fine. No maloccusion, thyroid probs, stones, intestinal parasites. Sometimes abnnormal protein levels in blood and urine, but my vet says she's "concentrating her urine well" so likely no kidney failure. She was also spayed years ago, so ovarian cysts not a possibility. I've held off on an ultrasound because she's had several in her life (mostly for gas/distension issues) and they never reveal anything abnormal. She's not lethargic and hasn't slowed down; if anything she's more energetic and moves more now that she's all slim and fast.

I realize 800g is not a bad weight for female piggies, yet I'm sad to have watched Inca get smaller and smaller while her sisters (approx. same age) remain at steady weights. Any thoughts or similar experiences? Do I just concede it's an aging thing? Or does cancer present like this maybe?

And what foods tend to be successful to fatten up piggies? In addition to giving larger veggie portions than her cagemates and their usual amount of pellets, I've been giving Critical Care mixed with baby food (different veggie flavors) and have tried giving alfalfa hay rather than Timothy (she's not a huge fan). And I don't want to give too much sugar or carbs because this piggy has a history of gas and bloating.

Thanks for any brainstorming you can offer!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:16 am

I have an older male here with a similar weightloss pattern. Xrays, blood, and teeth all show he's ok.

I don't think it's necessarily 'normal' that older pigs lose this much weight - but when you've ruled out all the things you can treat I'm not sure there's much else to do.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:36 pm

Does she seem boney? Only other thing I can think of is alfalfa pellets if there are no calcium issues (they have extra calcium).

Tracy

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:16 pm

Yes, I do feel her bones more, though she's certainly not emaciated. It's hard to know her normal body, though, since she's had gas/bloat issues for years (distended abdomen). Part of me thinks this new size/shape may be how she's "supposed to be." And yet she keeps losing, which is not normal.

I haven't tried alfalfa pellets -- just alfalfa hay and a few crunchy alfalfa-based treats. It's hard to feed just one of three separately (for pellets), but I suppose we can try that approach. Inca does not have calcium issues, so that's good.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:57 pm

Some fattening-up suggestions

We've had at least two (that I can recall distinctly offhand, probably more if I check my weight charts) that have lost weight as they age, with no other problems.

One little girl does have other problems, but has also seemed to enjoy becoming slim, trim and fast.

Tracy

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:50 pm

Thanks for that link, Talishan!

I forgot to mention that I have also tried organic, shelled sunflower seeds for Inca but she wasn't interested. And she tried a few pieces of oats, but also not a hit. Maybe I can grind a few into powder to mix with her Critical Care, which she loves and devours. But I do need to be careful because she's had terrible bloat in the past (with her nearest-death experience possibly related to a baby food containing oatmeal). And the thought of corn makes me nervous for the same reason.

Are there certain veggies that are higher calorie yet not starchy/sugary?

Please keep those tips coming!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:30 pm

If she doesn't have calcium processing issues (you know that for sure, right?), alfalfa hay and pellets may be the way to go for her.

Tracy

Post   » Wed May 07, 2008 2:47 pm

I haven't posted for a while, but Inca's weight loss has been ongoing. She's down around 650-700 grams these days, despite my efforts to help her maintain or gain weight. I feel her bones more, especially her shoulders and what I think is her "tail bone" (base of spine? near rump).

In addition to their usual Oxbow pellets, timothy hay, and twice-daily veggies, I've supplemented Inca with Critical Care (not always daily but several times per week), veggie baby food (squash, green beans, carrot, peas, apple), an occasional pinch of oat flakes, alfalfa treats, and canned pumpkin mini-balls rolled in Critical Care powder. It's seeming like a losing battle, so I'm again fishing for more ideas from GL members.

How is cancer diagnosed? Do tumors show up on X-rays or ultrasound?

A recent X-ray didn't show anything irregular, so I'm now considering an ultrasound because she's no longer gassy/distended (as she was for years when ultrasounds couldn't image her well)...plus I don't want to put her under anesthesia anymore unless absolutely necessary.

Her last blood work was OK except for high protein, I believe, yet vet thought her kidneys are OK. Thyroid test negative. Teeth are okay (molars checked under anesthesia when we did Xrays and drew blood).

Inca is resting more, though I certainly wouldn't call it lethargy. And she may be getting slightly stiffer in her back legs. I attribute both to her age (approaching 5.5 years). Her coat, eyes, and even personality are bright. And she doesn't seem uncomfortable or in pain. She's just shrinking.

Does anyone have ideas for us?

EllieMom

Post   » Wed May 07, 2008 3:20 pm

Does she like it when you feed her Critical Care? Can you do it more often? I've managed to keep Doodle's weight up but only with LOTS of handfeeding (sometimes as much 75-80ml a day).

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Wed May 07, 2008 4:30 pm

Hi, Tracy! I think your instincts are correct that she is just getting on in years. Still, you may want to get the ultrasound and a consultation, for peace of mind if nothing else.

You are such a great pig caretaker and pig chef! You made some great suggestions for me when Creamy and Scooby were losing weight. I agree with EllieMom -- more Critical Care. I assume you've been simply providing the extra goodies for her. Whether or not she has anything else going on, because her energy level is lower, I think you need to hand-feed her now. Hold her on your lap and keep offering her a syringe-load every couple of minutes. You may need to push the issue a bit by putting the syringe right in her mouth. You will be able to tell when she is getting truly fed up (sorry) rather than just moderately annoyed.

We're looking forward to seeing you at the Pignic. (Do you think Inca may hold the record for Pignic attendance?)

Tracy

Post   » Wed May 07, 2008 4:35 pm

EllieMom, I just read Doodle's thread -- were you able to get an ultrasound? Hope you can figure out what's going on with her; it sounds hormonal to me. And, for what it's worth, one of my gals had a Lupron shot when she couldn't be spayed (I saw you had asked about that). It's expensive but buys some time. Essentially "pulls the plug" on their endocrine system; in our case, for a month.

Meanwhile, back to Inca -- yes, she loves Critical Care. I will try to increase our slurpy sessions and get more into her. I tend to cut her off around 30ccs, but maybe I should give that at least twice a day, rather than some of the other treats I've been trying.

Tracy

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 11:20 am

Thanks, mmeadow.

Inca LOVES critical care, so there's no force feeding necessary. I gave more than usual yesterday (so she had about 60-70ccs for the day, plus other stuff), and then of course got nervous because I heard GI gurgles and didn't see her poop all night. I wonder if her body needs all the food so there's no waste -- can that be?

Anyway, I was nervous and gave half a dose of Reglan because Inca has had slow motility and gas/bloat issues in the past. I can't imagine critical care causing problems, but I'm just nervous about supplementing enough yet not too much. I swear that pig would probably slurp 100ccs in one session if I let her!

My plan is to supplement with critical care more than I have been and probably reduce some of the other stuff I've tried (snacks, oats) that are generally no-no's for good pig care. Hoping I can hit the right formula for her.

Yes, hoping we will attend the Boston Pignic in a few weeks; we'll see how Inca's holding up.