Baxter's med thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:07 am

Ditto Talishan. Feel the jaw line for bumps. Look to see if one eye is bulging more than the other. Those could indicate elongation. From what I understand, if it is caught early it can be managed. If caught late, it may be too severe requiring very frequent planings, much hand feeding, and a very poor quality of life.

zazzified

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:30 am

One eye does bulge more than the other, but we were thinking this was just the swelling. It never bulged more than the other eye until it was suddenly inflammed and red and got the ulcer, though. They tested the pressure of his eye twice, several days apart, and both times it came back as normal. I was hoping that meant the chances of something inside pushing the eye were somewhat lower. I just felt his jaw all over and it feels symmetrical on both sides. Nothing sticks out to me as feeling "wrong".

zazzified

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:40 am

I took two new photographs of his eye as compared to the left eye:

Any comments/thoughts appreciated.

egustavson

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:05 pm

The right eye does appear to be bulging more than the left. I don't think it just looks that way because of the the direction Baxter is facing in the picture. I am completely inexperienced with the symptoms Baxter has, but from what I have read, it seems that a dental x-ray may be in order to eliminate the possibility of elongated roots. The thing that doesn't make sense to me is why would he get an eye injury due to elongated roots? Maybe he couldn't see well enough out of the right eye so he got poked with something?

I hope my ruminations are helpful.

zazzified

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:11 pm

Yeah, there was actual visible damage to the surface of his eye. There was some possibility that the ulcer was caused by him not being able to close his eye completely, but the actual surface marks that appeared when they stained his eye don't really make sense as being related to elongated roots. Or at least I don't think. I guess there's a chance that he scratched the eye because it was already bulging more than usual? But his eye was totally normal when I went to work that day, and when I got home it was red, bulging, and had obvious surface abnormalities all at once.

I appreciate the insight, by the way.

egustavson

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:19 pm

I have no idea how fast elongated roots could go from no apparent effect on the eye to causing it to bulge enough and affect a pig's eye sight.

I guess there may be nothing else wrong and his eye is healing normally. The swelling could be due to the metacam wearing off, as you suggested.

zazzified

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:35 pm

Yeah, it was very sudden. Going from no symptoms to a bulging, teary, red eye seems extreme if it's elongated roots, considering that extreme change was not accompanied by any similar change in eating skill/habits. When I left for work at 8 am it was fine, and when I got home at 6 pm it was like that.

I still plan to give the opthamologist a call today. I certainly hope it's just part of a slow healing process and not a deeper problem. If that's the case, though, I hope that it heals without ruining his vision first. Though to be honest, I'm not TOO concerned about his vision as long as he gets healthy otherwise, since pigs seem to do so well with limited or no vision. Not ideal, but as long as his quality of life is good.

zazzified

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:10 pm

The opthamologist said that at this point as long as the surface of the eye is looking better, that's what she primarily concerned about. I'm still considering taking him in to my regular vet for an xray. I don't know how long to give it before doing that, though...

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:23 pm

The other "one-sided" possibility that comes to my mind is dental abscess. I think dental rads will show this.

zazzified

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:28 pm

If that's the case the Baytril and Bactrim should help too, right?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:34 pm

Mumble yes sorta kinda hopefully maybe. The one we had was pretty bad, not lanceable from the outside, and Baytril contained it but did not cure it.

If nothing else those will help keep it in check (if it exists). I don't want to scare you but that eye does look awfully bulgy to me. Does he seem in any real discomfort?

zazzified

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:50 pm

He seems quite comfortable, actually. I assume because the pressure of the eye has been normal both times they've checked it. It's actually looking pretty darn good tonight. I hesitate to type the words for fear of jinxing it, but I think he's been able to blink completely for the past couple of days so I guess the swelling must be decreasing some. The only time I notice discomfort is when sunlight catches his eye (he squints that eye more than the other) and when I'm applying ointment (he flinches pretty strongly).