Enlarged and crusty breasts in female guinea pig

Pipita

Post   » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:40 am

Hi,
I am worried about the breasts of my female guinea pig. Her breasts were so small that you could hardly see them under her fur. Within the last four weeks they have grown to 5 to 10 times the original size and the skin is very dry and crusty (see picture attached).

She is nearly 4 years old, a Rex, has never been pregnant but unfortunately has a history of diarrhoea and is currently diagnosed with chronic cystitis. This is why she is now on "metacam" and "gabapentin". I have also discovered a small lump behind her ear. Our vet says it is nothing to worry about and might just be a cyst. The cyst appeared shorty before she got the medication. I think the change in my guinea pigs breasts might either be linked to the cyst or to the medication (because of the timeline), but it could be completely independent.

Has anyone got an idea what has happened to her?
I appreciate any ideas. Thanks!!!

Kimera

Post   » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:57 am

Enlarged and crusted nipples are a symptom of hormonal imbalance, which is usually caused by ovarian cysts.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:22 pm

You might want to read this over:

https://www.guinealynx.info/ovarian_cysts.html

Let me know if you'd like your photo added permanently to your thread for future readers.

Pipita

Post   » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:38 pm

Thanks. I'll make a vet appointment tomorrow and see what they suggest. The photo can stay if it helps subsequent users.
Thanks a lot for your help!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:53 pm

Will do!

I hope your vet can give you some answers. A spay usually takes care of hormonal issues but one must have a skilled and experienced vet.

iamarenrattoo

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:50 pm

Hi, I'm just curious what your vet said it was. One of my pig's nipple looks exactly like that. :( I did call and schedule an appointment, and I'm reading all over the board.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:35 am

It is not likely Pipita will read this since it is such an old topic. You might wish to try emailing her to respond to you on her topic on the chance her email is still functional and she got some answers.