possible urine scald

jacqueline

Post   » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:47 pm

I guess I was thinking of the cranberry-ish one for UTIs. But wouldn't the acidity in the cranberry also help with sludge?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:41 am

In theory, yes but in practice attempting to acidify their urine usually doesn't seem to help much.

I think you're referencing Oxbow's Critter Berries. I don't think they make them anymore? Not sure on that. A few of our pigs enjoyed them.

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:08 am

Just a note on the Oxbow urinary support tabs: they contain dandelion leaf, which often causes sludge in calcium challenged pigs.

I have observed an increase in chalky deposits in past pigs in response to feeding the tabs.

So, don't go that direction in treating Ginger-pig.

Frankly, I don't know what Oxbow was thinking in putting the ingredients together for that product.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:08 am

Shoot. I'm glad you posted that. That's about the last thing that needs to be in a urinary support tablet for a guinea pig.

Dandelion is supposed to ease urinary discomfort (muscle relaxation? I think; some mechanism, anyway), but has way too much calcium to be used for that purpose in a cavy.

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:35 pm

I haven't checked my own thread in a while, and whenever i don't, they always explode, haha. Sorry, guys! But i wanted to post here because Gingers toe is swollen and she's limping on it...? She's never had bumble foot, but her middle toe, on her right foot, is almost twice the size of the same toe on the other foot. It happened a few days ago, i called my local rescue to talk to the owner(she's a friend) and she suggested metacam for a few days(she also said it sounds like a broken toe.). I just wanted to get your input. Her toe is swollen, but only on the top knuckle(right below her toenail. I can feel a hard mass that almost feels like bone that is sticking out sideways(not through the skin, but...i don't know. it's knobby on the sides of her toe). That's all it is. I'll send pictures when my boyfriend gets home to help take them. It was red, but its a normal skin color now. She is no longer limping, but she isn't moving around as much and will lift her foot up and kind of hold it against herself for about 2 seconds every now and then. She is still on baytril, and today i took her off metacam.

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:45 pm

The rescue also said she thinks is a facture. I forgot to mention i've been doing epsom salt soaks, too.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:06 pm

Good about the Epsom salt soaks. I was going to suggest that.

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:22 pm

Thank you. 4 times a day for 10 minutes.(the soaks, i mean)

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:37 pm

Also, LS in AK, you vanished! haha, I've not seen you around recently! I'm glad you decided to post on my thread!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:51 am

We are all glad LS is back. :-)

Be very careful with epsom salts. If piggy scratches an eye or grooms her face and gets any of the salt in her eye, it's extremely painful and can cause serious eye damage. Just be very careful, and epsom soaks can do a lot of good.

If it were me I'd restart her Metacam.

Post a pic when you can. If the foot is now normal color, that's good.

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:04 am

Aw, thanks for the kind words *blushes*

Sorry to hear Ginger-pig seems to have broken her toe (owie!) I would be interested in seeing pics, and agree that pain meds would probably help more than hurt at this point.

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:17 am

Regular, normal, cute Ginger foot.

Not normal, messed up, sad-mommy foot

Excuse my boyfriends hands. He just got done welding.