Legend's Medical Thread - Not Eating

groundbeef

Post   » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:26 am

He seems fairly alert. Not at all like when he first had Gabapentin.

We haven't given him carrot tops for a couple of weeks, but we just got a new batch at the store. He's eating those by the bushel. But he won't touch parsley, kale, or blueberries, which he went crazy for just a few days ago.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:49 am

All those are very high calcium foods -- carrot tops, parsley and kale should only be occasional foods, not staples in the diet.

All of my pigs have gone off their favorite foods for one unknown reason or another, but always came around again after a few days or weeks.

groundbeef

Post   » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:19 pm

I didn't want to say this, but we've pretty much decided that putting him through any more dental work is not in his best interest, so he's not going to be with us much longer. We just want him to be as happy as possible for his last few weeks. If, by some miracle, he shows some huge improvement, we'll try to get him back to a better diet. Forcing mush down his throat 4-6 times per day when he doesn't want it is not a happy life.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:24 pm

I am sorry to hear this. I am sure you have given this much thought. If he is in pain and failing, your vet can perform a humane euthanasia.

groundbeef

Post   » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:31 pm

Thank you. This is (obviously) very hard. All of my (our?) other pets died from natural causes or accidents. It's so much worse to have to be the decision maker. I feel bad for the vet, and I worry about how our other pig will take it. He clearly misses her when they've been separated, but it's less apparent the other way around. I hope she's going to be ok.

groundbeef

Post   » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:29 am

Legend is gone. He was a very good pig. We will miss him terribly.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:41 am

I am so deeply sorry for your loss.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:38 pm

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:19 pm

I am sorry for your loss, too:(..but what a great name you chose for him..i bet he was fantasitc pig..

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:27 pm

I am so sorry, groundbeef.

rjespicer

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:13 pm

Sorry you lost him
RIP Legend